Are you a collector?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
dedguy

Are you a collector?

Post by dedguy »

I've been part of a few different toy collecting communities over the years and there's always been much discussion of what exactly makes someone a "real collector". In the most basic sense of the word a collector is mearly someone who accumulates.

Over many conversations with many people a consensus was generally reached that a collector would be someone who accumulates for the sake of accumulating. They will buy things they don't neccesarly like to fill "holes" in the their collection. They will not use a product that is part of their collection if it is particularly rare or expensive even if they make use of other "lesser" parts of their collection.

Despite the fact that I do accumulate things I put no worth in an item outside it's use. Toys (which in my case are realy high end japanese figures that where never meant for children) for example I remove from their packaging (which I throw away) and put on display. Knives I like-wise remove from packaging and toss it. I use all my knives no matter how rare, expensive, or unique. I don't buy knives I have no intention of using. I would carry and use a $1200 William Henry special edition knife in the same way I would a $15 swiss army knife. I don't consider mysef a "real collector".
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
Chucula

Post by Chucula »

I will buy a knife now and then as an "investment," but I normally do what you do and only buy things I will use. I will save the boxes, however. I find that the original packaging helps when I need to get the money back out of a knife.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

dedguy,

I feel the same way. I put no worth into my knives outside their use. I guess you could say that I accumulate Delica's. :) It's more of a stockpile thing though. I just want to make sure that if I have to send a Delica in or if I lose one that I have more than enough to get me by. The Delica is the only knife that I do this with. :)

I do accumulate other knives but I don't buy knives that I don't like or will never use just to simply fill a "hole" in my collection.

I have used every knife that I have bought (unless I didn't like it and traded or sold it) and every knife that was given to me. I do have a couple of "backup" Delica 4's that are still new in box. They are my backups though so they will be kept no matter what. Even then I may just get one out and use it because I like to use a different color or something. :D
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

To me, "collector" implies structure of some sort, along with a desire to preserve (preferably in mint condition) specimens of whatever is being collected. There are pattern collectors who will latch onto a specific pattern of knife, regardless of maker, there are brand collectors who will strive to have at least one of each product a company makes, and many other types. I once knew a young man who collected 1953 Cadillacs :confused:

I am an accumulator. There is no real structure to my "collection", although I do have multiple knives by various makers in a few patterns (stockman, sunfish, whittler, Texas toothpick). None are being preserved in pristine condition except by accident (back ups that I haven't needed yet).

Every time I read a post where someone says "I sure would like to find a user __________(insert name here)" I just want to tell them to send me their safequeen and I'll send them back a user in a couple of weeks. :D
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
OuchThatsSharp

Post by OuchThatsSharp »

I started out with Case Classic Whittlers, bought everything I could get my hands on. Sold all of them except for the Stag handled ones and the MOP and Abalone handled ones. Then sold the Stags until I had one of each Stag handled Whittler pattern. Next it was Kershaw Ken Onion models, still buying those but only the ones "I" like. Next up, Spyderco's. Bought several that caught my eye, became very attracted to the Native model and have started a collection of the different variants. However, I don't care much for the serrated blades and only bought a few because that was the only blade variant they came in. Recently started with CRK Sebenza's but due to the higher cost have limited myself to four, 1sm, 1lg Classic and 1sm, 1lg Regular and each in Unique Graphic. Need to acquire 3 more Native variants and 1 more Seb, after that I will probably quit unless Sal comes out with another Native offering. This hobby can get very expensive. I don't collect for investment but for enjoyment.
It's better to have knife and not need it than to need a knife and not have it.
[SIGPIC]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145 ... opelli.jpg[/SIGPIC]
WOTANSON1

Post by WOTANSON1 »

I have no need for a knife I won't carry. That said a man can't have too many knives. If I won't use it, it's gone, on to greener pastures and that includes customs as well. I have no desire to extract profit either, so hoarding "rare" or "collectible" knives for speculative re-sale has no appeal to me. Knives are tools and should be used, that's my bottom line.

Cheers,
Rob
International Order of the SpyderEdge-founding member

Faith, Folk and Family

If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
If this is written in English, thank a US Soldier

NOT my "president"

Proud Member of SOSAK
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Nope I dont collect, I use em all.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

I used to be a collector, it terms of buying stuff I didn't even like to fill holes in the collection. Don't do that anymore. Everything I buy gets used, even if lightly.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Fatboy

Post by Fatboy »

I would like to collect and have lots of knives. Spyderco knives are one of a kind and I think after I use the ones I have now, I will start collecting them and spend some real money.
:D
:spyder: Collector # 185
65 Spydies and counting
Darkfin

Post by Darkfin »

Heh, I heard the voice of Jeff Foxworthly when I read the title to this thread:

"You might be a collector if...."
There isn’t any symbolism. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The shark are all sharks no better and no worse. All the symbolism that people say is ****.
~Ernest Hemingway (describing The Old Man and the Sea)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

I'm a collector. However, I won't buy something just because of the name brand -- I have to like it. All Spydercos I buy will be used.

My Police model will only go up into the mountains (over the legal blade length). My Spyderfly is just a toy to play with. All my other ones get used when I use a knife.
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

I'm both. Sometimes I'll squirrel away several of a model I really like and/or feel will command a better price in the future. Sometimes I exhibit counter collector behavior...for example when I learned the real jester was being DC'd I took my minty burgundy micarta jester out of its box and stuck it on my keyring.

One thing worth noting that I find rather humorous but also rude. Without fail, whenever a couple of collectors starting talking about knife XXXX in mint condition. Some randomn knife user will post a non sequitor to announce that he never buys knives for just safe queening, but ALWAYS uses them, (usually with a extra: "and I use them hard." It is funny in its predictability but also rude. It is essentially saying a collector doesn't have the good sense to use his treasure, and you have to let him know it. Seems rather unneccessary. Very similar to telling someone who uses ketchup on their steak that they are foolish and don't know how to enjoy good eating.

Ok so I'm ranting.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

zenheretic wrote:It is essentially saying a collector doesn't have the good sense to use his treasure, and you have to let him know it. Seems rather unneccessary. Very similar to telling someone who uses ketchup on their steak that they are foolish and don't know how to enjoy good eating.
I agree, how someone chooses to use (or not) their knife is personal choice.

Example: when I decide to buy a Civilian, it will never be carried. The blade is over the legal limit in size. I could take it camping, but Sal himself has said that it is only a SD knife. Thus, the only reason to "use" a Civilian as a utility knife is to avoid the feeling that every knife has to get used. That said, I still want a Civilian.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

zenheretic wrote:Some randomn knife user will post a non sequitor to announce that he never buys knives for just safe queening, but ALWAYS uses them, (usually with a extra: "and I use them hard."
I was going to laugh at this, but I have to make sure I've never said that before I do ;) :p
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
WORKER#9

Post by WORKER#9 »

I got some serious safe queens. I must be a collector. :D
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Guess I'm a collector, at least to a degree. I have knives that I bought knowing full well I'd never use them. The T-Mag is the latest examples of that, purchased just to keep my "group" of CF handled production Spydies complete. On the other hand, I'm not adverse to using a knife just because it's rare, or expensive, or both. I carry the "undented" CF Caly 3 Sal gave me, even thought there's only one other like it. I've carried my 25th Anniversary Delica when I felt like doing so as well. I also carry my lefty A.T. Barr One-Eyed-Jack, my Marcus Hunt engraved Delica and Kiwi, and my Antonio Montejano engraved Kiwi.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

The Deacon wrote:Guess I'm a collector, at least to a degree. I have knives that I bought knowing full well I'd never use them. The T-Mag is the latest examples of that, purchased just to keep my "group" of CF handled production Spydies complete. On the other hand, I'm not adverse to using a knife just because it's rare, or expensive, or both. I carry the "undented" CF Caly 3 Sal gave me, even thought there's only one other like it. I've carried my 25th Anniversary Delica when I felt like doing so as well. I also carry my lefty A.T. Barr One-Eyed-Jack, my Marcus Hunt engraved Delica and Kiwi, and my Antonio Montejano engraved Kiwi.
Now that's pretty cool. Got any pics of it? I would just love to see one without the Boye Dent. :)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Agent Starling

as Nike sez, just do it...

Post by Agent Starling »

I just buy the knives that I like and so I suppose I am a collector although it's not something that weighs heavy on my mind... :eek: :D :D

If I like a knife I might buy a different variation...just last week I bought another SE Harpy--thought it was a CF Harpy but it's charcoal-colored w/a clear polymer coating over that...I thought it was cool so I kept it... :cool: :spyder:

IMHO knife collecting/accumulating/hard user vs. SD user/whatever--it's such an individual thing and to each his contented own... :D

Ex Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
T-Rex

Post by T-Rex »

Just picked up two Delica 4 (#090) this weekend at NGK. I have a question for those who are part of the collector program, do you put them up on display, or use them as part of your EDC?

I've already got a couple of first production issues that rarely see daylight. It sort of takes the fun out of it not carrying them around with me each day.

Thanks - Rex
kniferights.org - Charter Member #331
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

T-Rex wrote:Just picked up two Delica 4 (#090) this weekend at NGK. I have a question for those who are part of the collector program, do you put them up on display, or use them as part of your EDC?

I've already got a couple of first production issues that rarely see daylight. It sort of takes the fun out of it not carrying them around with me each day.

Thanks - Rex
Carry them, if you want too. Carry a second, smaller knife if you are worried that you might have to do some heavy cutting.

Or use them as hard as you want, and be happy knowing that it is your knife and only you choose what happens to it.