Survival Spyders

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Survival Spyders

Post by JD Spydo »

AS some of you might have gathered I have been doing a lot of studying in the area of "survival" and "Preparedness" here in the 4 to 5 years and much more so since Katrina and other disasters. My question to you all is this. Which Spyderco knives would you personally deem essential for a disaster type scenerio and why? Also are there Spyderco knives you currently don't have but you know that those particular models would be beneficial under demanding circumstances?

Also in this same line of thought I would like to know which Spyders that you just can't do without in everyday life and you know that they will be one of your best friends during a dire situation. I know the responses will be different because everyone's preparation scenerio is different. Everyones environment is different. But shedding light on all of these unique needs is a factor that I believe will be helpful to all of us. I also hope that all of our input will be valuable to Spyderco for the simple reason that survival/preparedness has become an area that is drawing a great deal of attenion in a lot of different sectors.

And we could all benefit from each others reasons for why they gravitate to certain Spyderco knives for certain important demands. OK Which ones do you all choose and why?
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Kaizen

Post by Kaizen »

I imagine that the Salt series might be of great use. I really, really, really like my waved PS, but I like the liners in Waved E4. When the stuff hits the fan, I'd be looking for things like rustproofabilityness, SD, prying (in which I may just have an actual pry bar for), edge retention, hammering. My list would be:

PS
One of the new fixed blades
Waved E4
denn

Post by denn »

spyderco needs a new multi-tool. the spyderench-disaster needs to be straightened up.

> 3 blades, one leaf, one sheeps, one clip. 2 PE + 1 SE.

>add some of the usual tools, strong pliers with wire-cutters and a nifty construction that says spyderco all over it, and make it half the weight of LM's, and then that would be the one i'd pick in a survival situation

denn

and, since that ain't gonna happen anytime soon, i'd have to say Military, Manix, ATR, Chinook, Dragonfly and/or one of the new Hossom FB's......
CWO

Post by CWO »

A knife that is meant for "survival" (urban or wilderness) applications is almost invaribly a fixed blade due to the need for it to be used in a range of tasks requiring strength and the absolute necessity of the knife's ability to withstand repetitive physical stress. Owning a number of Spyderco folders I have not seen them in this role.

I have a fixed blade which is made for larger tasks (chopping, some prying, container opening etc) and it priced at a level that I don't worry about it.
I use it for shelter building and light firewood chopping when I camp.
ceya

Post by ceya »

I have used alot of Spydies in the field. I like the Spyderco Goddard Jr Combo Edge.

Friendly blade shape. good handle shape, can use wet or dry. I put a layard on, clip is ok.

I may not have a fixed blade on me all the time but will I will have a folder on me.

S/F,
CEYA!
catamount

Post by catamount »

I would put my Pacific Salt at the top of the list. 3mm thick, just under 4 " blade, strong tip, rust proof, easy to sharpen, takes a great edge, lightweight, easy to carry, ergonomic, durable. What more could you want in a survival folder?

Oh yeah, it comes in friendly yellow :D
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
Jenner 515

Post by Jenner 515 »

The one spydie that is with me 75% of the time is the Manix, that would be the knife I would want with me if things went wrong. My back up EDC combo is a Poliwog and a Lava they'd do in a pinch.

PE Tasman Salt gets a nod also.
I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
DFD04

Post by DFD04 »

I say the Assist for me. Plenty of blade and a hefty sheepsfoot point, very well suited.
:spyder: The peace of heaven is theirs that lift their swords, in such a just and charitable war.
-William Shakespeare :spyder:
Firefighter880

Post by Firefighter880 »

Well, right now I carry my Manix to work. However, I have been contemplating purchasing both a SE (maybe PE) Pacific Salt and a SE Atlantic Salt to start carrying on duty. I can drop the Atlantic Salt with it's friendly yellow handle and sheepsfoot blade in my bunker pants cargo pocket, and clip the Pacific Salt in my regular (non-bunker) pants pocket. This is, of course, due to the worry-free design of these knives since those in my profession tend to constantly get wet. The Pacific would be great for regular chores and tasks when not in turnout gear. The Atlantic would be helpful in the bunker pants when performing extrications and such, since my regular pants pocket will be covered.

Lately I have been trying to find the perfect knife for outdoors use, though. I've been looking for a solid yet light-weight knife that I can carry for things like rock climbing, spelunking, hiking, backpacking, etc. I haven't really found the perfect one yet. I had thought about the Pacific Salt for these applications, but I think that might not be quite heavy-duty enough. I'm thinking about purchasing a SE satin blade Para-Military for this. Seems a little tougher than the Salts, has a MBC very heavy-duty rated compression lock, not too large to weigh you down, yet not too small to be inadequate. However, I don't own a PM yet so I could be wrong about this....

:spyder:

--Edit--

Well, maybe I'm right to want a Para for the above applications. Just read this on the online Spyderco Catalog Para-Military page...

"The most awaited mid-sized survival knife of 2004... The package is topped off with a nested Compression Lock making the ultimate mid-sized survival knife designed to level trees, carve tent stakes... The ultimate mid-sized survival knife... Made in Golden, Colorado."

Well, that's it. Guess I'll have to get one now for all of my extreme outdoors adventures! Although, I think I'll wait for that revamped version that's supposed to be coming out in the not-so-distant future... (maybe it'll have a tip-up option) :D
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER]"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." [/CENTER]

Current Spyders: Civilian, Matriarch, Endura 3 CE, Endura 4 CE, Endura 4 SE, SS Endura 4 SE, Lava, Manix CE

Spyders of the Past: ATR, BlackHawk, Bob Lum Tanto, Chinook 3, Dodo, Gunting, Karambit, Lil Temp, Manix PE, Para Mili, Ronin, Yojimbo, Mili, Native
Tom v S

Post by Tom v S »

I would like both my Military's with me. But if I would buy myself a new :spyder: for this purpose it would be the Manix. Its stronger than the Mili, and has the same size.
Also I would like a small axe to company my Mili.
Plowboy

Post by Plowboy »

For my hiking outtings I debated about the mini-manix and the paramilitary. I like both...so, I'm packing the mini-manix and my wife the paramilitary. I think both knives would hold up in a day or two survival situation. Since I prefer these folders to FB knives, both my wife and I each carry a folding saw in our packs. I have the Kershaw folding saw and she prefers the Gerber. Of course there are quality flashlights, firestarters, tinder, durable space blankets, water purfication stuff, etc also in the packs.

For the more day-to-day urban stuff, I carry a smaller folder like the Cricket or SS Dragonfly (or an Alox SAK). I also sometimes carry the Caly 3. In addition, I keep a small kit in my bag that has a Vic Swisstool Spirit Plus multitool, quality flashlight, hankerchief (spelling??), Delica sized knife and minimal first aid kit.

If I were in an extended survival situation, I still think the mini-manix or paramilitary would be sufficient. Especially since I would have other gear to absorb some of the heavy work that a knife may be needed for.

Let's all try to be prepared (don't forget to have water and canned beans on hand) and hope we never need the stuff.
:)
If you carry either a knife or firearm, please abide by the law and be respectful. We all represent each other.

Let's unite to preserve and expand our legal rights. Please join:

KnifeRights (http://www.kniferights.org) and NRA (http://www.nra.org)

Plowboy

Post by Plowboy »

By the way JD, this is a great thread.
If you carry either a knife or firearm, please abide by the law and be respectful. We all represent each other.

Let's unite to preserve and expand our legal rights. Please join:

KnifeRights (http://www.kniferights.org) and NRA (http://www.nra.org)

JD Spydo

Fixed blades and new items too

Post by JD Spydo »

Plowboy wrote:By the way JD, this is a great thread.
Well Thanks Plowboy I appreciate that. I am hoping that all of us can get some tips we didn't know about.

Now guys/gals please keep in mind you are not only bound to discuss Spyderco folders here but actually I expect a lot of you to also tell us which fixed blade you would use under these conditions.

Now we should keep this focused on Spyderco products but I don't guess it would hurt to also add an ax or machete or some other tool that you would deem viable and useful. Maybe we might even tempt them to consider a Spyder Ax. It has been discussed before :)

But I don't want to go out of the cutlery or edged tool arena. That should be a separate thread in the OFF TOPIC section.

Also I would be interested to know if any of you all are anticipating using the upcoming Hossum models? I am personally looking forward to them. I think their chopping ability and their abilty to take hard punishment would bode well for a survival situation. Great responses so far folks. Now back to the show :D
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Saint-Just

Post by Saint-Just »

As CWO said. Strong cheap FB like a CS Bushman (or Ka Bar), and SAK with saw blade.
With all the qualities and cutting abilities of my spidies, I can't see any of them living up to those 2 in the scenario described. But that's only my opinion.
C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre!
Gal. P. Bosquet, 25th Oct 1854
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Great thread!

In folders I'd throw in my PM or Lil'Temp.

I'd rather have a good fixed blade than a cheap one. Recommenders of cheap ones: Why??

Maybe a Busse??

Along those lines, I wonder how the up coming Hossoms will rank on the "I need it to survive" scale??

I'd also want my Gransfor Bruks Broad Axe.

Ken
玉鋼
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Area where I live has no history of severe seismic activity or significant tornados, nothing to erupt, is too far from the coast to worry about tsunamis, too far north and inland to worry about hurricanes. So the only possible "natural disaster" scenarios around here would be a blizzard or ice storm. Not much a Spydie is going to do for me in either one, although I did suggest to Sal that a Spyderco ice scraper would be a nice addition to the product line. :D

Only "terrorist threat" worth even considering is an attack on the building where I work by radical "right to lifers", since there is a Planned Parenthood office on one of the lower floors. My way of dealing with that is to carry a 12" Stanley WonderBar in my shoulder bag when going to work, along with my lunch, my checkbook, and some stationery supplies. There is always a large Spyderco in my back pocket, and a Kiwi in my watch pocket, plus a SE Atlantic Salt in the passenger compartment of my car and some other toys in the trunk.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

I would always be glad to have one of my Spydies with me and I would prefer it to be a Manix, Chinook or Military.
First and foremost I would however make sure I had my Swisstool and one of my larger fixed blades. SAK or multitool gives you a lot of options a Spydie doesn't. Large fixed blade or ax can get you out of situations no Spydie can (yet).
Saint-Just

Post by Saint-Just »

kbuzbee,

As a knife fan I think a Busse are wonderful blades, immensely tough, great steel...

In a survival situation I would be delighted to have one with me. Or one of the Hossums for that matter. But I would rather have 2 or 3 Ka-Bars and some extra equipment for the price. A knife can be dropped and irretrivable, and I can't afford a Busse, let alone another one for back up.
Over the last 60 years, Ka Bar have proved themselves tough enough I believe
C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre!
Gal. P. Bosquet, 25th Oct 1854
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I stick with my kukri for hiking and camping. It has replaced a camp ax, FB, and machete in my pack. Between the weight and recurve, it has outperformed every hatchet I've ever owned. Given an hour or two and a whet stone, I can keep it hairsplitting sharp for brush clearing and game cleaning. And, if need be, it is a devastating weapon both wielded and thrown in and of itself. With a spyderco military to augment (for more delicate work), I am confident that any failure to survive would fall directly on my shoulders.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

any day i spent living in zambia could feel like survival, with plenty of outdoor tasks to be done. i had a fixed blade (a BM fecas offsider, which is a GREAT deal for the money, especially if you can score one in N690 steel),
but most of my jobs were done by either a chokwe village axe or one of a number of spydie folders.

the most useful:
military
tasman salt
pacific salt
dragonfly

salts are extremely useful in the rainy season, and/or around water. the mili's so easy to clean... for survival, i'd prefer it more than the manix, which i broke in the bush. i find hawkbills extremely useful... and i always try to carry a dragonfly-sized knife with an edge kept razor sharp, for very precise cuts.

living in delaware, i always carry a hawkbill (tasman or harpy), as well as a couple folders 3" or so in blade length. lately it's the ZDP D4 SE and the jess horn ZDP. lots more toys in my manpurse...