Holy Sharp!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jmateer

Holy Sharp!

Post by jmateer »

I just stropped my Yojimbo on a neew KnifeArt.com leather strop

WOW

I've had knives all my life, but this amazes me. This is by far the sharpest knife I've ever handled.
JD Spydo

Blade Geo on the YO

Post by JD Spydo »

The Blade Geometry on the Yojimbo provides for a razor sharp blade with a very well machined flat grind. I am also able to get my Yojimbo amazingly sharp. I think that is one of the main things that Michael Janich factored in when he designed this blade for self defense. He killed several birds with one stone especially with the shorter than average blade length ( which is legal in some of the most draconian, corrupt government ridden municipalities) . Also concealment is very easy with the Yojimbo.

I am very thankful this knife is made in Golden Colorado with a Crucible steel. I do hope that they make a few of this model in Crucible's newest M-4 which is about to hit the market. :)
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
VWTattoo

Post by VWTattoo »

A strop is almost like cheating after sharpening, isn't it? ;) That was probably the best $9.00 I ever spent when I got mine! I am not surprised that the Yojimbo takes to the leather well- the edge is so straight, it would have to love every stropping minute!

Watch that sucker- it's primed and ready to bite! :D
2004 VW R32 :cool:
Got GIN-1?
ronin203

Post by ronin203 »

If they made the blade a little thicker would that affect it's sharpness :confused: :spyder:
if you find yourself in a fair fight, you did'nt prepare well enough. .." Hock Hochiem"..:spyder: " An object at rest cannot be stopped". The evil bomber what bombs at midnight. ;) :spyder: :spyder:
JD Spydo

Different sharpening methods

Post by JD Spydo »

ronin203 wrote:If they made the blade a little thicker would that affect it's sharpness :confused: :spyder:
That would probably depend on the taper from the Spine to the cutting edge. However the S30V is so strong and holds an edge so good you probably could have made the blade a bit thicker. A superior grade of blade steel does seem to help.

My Manix and 80mm Manix ( jr) both have significantly thicker blades and I can get them just as sharp with a bit more work. But with a thicker blade I generally do the primary and secondary bevel and do the finish work at 40 Degrees. Plus both of them also have S30V blade steel as well which makes for good steel to work with.

One thing I do like about the Yojimbo having a somewhat thinner blade is that I don't really have to put a primary and secondary bevel on it>> I can usually just sharpen it at 30 degrees on the Sharpmaker and it comes out about as sharp as a straight razor. Now I cheat a little bit myself. Not necessarily with a strop although I do use one from time to time but I have an old Arkansas "Blue-Black" super dense, super fine novaculite stone that really puts on one very sharp finished edge. After I get the blade hair poppin sharp I will usually do about a dozen strokes on each side on the Arkansas stone to give it a really well polished edge. It seems like S30V does well with a polished edge. That old Blue-Black stone seems to put a great final edge on all the flat grinds I've ever used it on. I have also notice my Dodo ( also has S30V steel) really comes out great when I do a final final finish on it with the Spyderco 204 Ultra-fine stone. S30V is one steel that likes a well polished edge. ;) :spyder:
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Zac

Post by Zac »

I have been wanting to buy a strop for some time...I am tempted.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Yojimbo...scary sharp no matter what you do to it....... :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

Yeah Justin the Yojimbo is so sharp I had to stop and think twice before carrying it in the waist band! ;) How are you liking the strop? I have had the same knifeart strop for over a year now and I give it the big thumbs up! :D
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Strops don't have to be fancy to work :p

Have a 3"x14"ish chunk hanging at the bottom of the stairs.... loaded with veritas green.

Don't think there's a day that I haven't stopped and given my edc a lick or two on it. Nothing quite like vg-10 taken up to a mirror polish on stones and then stropped with 0.5micron paste :eek: ;)
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
jmateer

Post by jmateer »

[quote="jaislandboy"]Yeah Justin the Yojimbo is so sharp I had to stop and think twice before carrying it in the waist band! ]

I love the strop. It's the first actual one I've ever owned. I'm now sticking with flat ground edges, and Spyderco's lol. Next purchase = sharpmaker. I tried the sharpmaker on a hollow ground strider a while back, and didnt like it (couldnt sharpen the knife with it? ) maybe a flat ground edge will produce better results
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

Stropping is the best thing you can do to bump up the level of sharpness on your blades, not to mention that you can strop several times per sharpening. It saves a lot of time. After you get one you’ll be slapping yourself for not getting one earlier.

You can get leather from Tandy cheaper than just about anywhere else.
http://www.tandyleather.com/Belts.asp

Lee Valley’s Honing Compound works great too.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx ... at=1,43072

Here’s a sharpening guide by Joe Talmadge that has the basics of stropping.
http://www.knifeart.com/sharfaqbyjoe.html