could someone help me understand ?!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
arnon

could someone help me understand ?!!

Post by arnon »

Delica ZDP-189, Spyderco, an amazing company, comes out with an affordable new magical steel in a price low enough for REGULAR non rich working people... and what happened ....... people buy more, way more DelZdp than they "really need" and us the "people" can buy a great knife with retail of $109 , internet price $75 ALL SOLD OUT!!! we can "BY IT NOW" ON ebay for $170 and some....
So people what's done is done, BUT, there are 600 more on the way, please don’t buy more then you need. Let us all check out this remarkable steel...
Thanks Arnon
:) :) :o
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

When they are that good it's hard for people to resist....Good Luck getting one of the next batch....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Patriot

Post by Patriot »

arnon wrote:delica ZDP-189, Spyderco, an amazing company, comes out with an affordable new magical steel in a price low enough for REGULAR non rich working people... and what happened ....... people buy more, way more DelZdp than they "really need" and us the "people" can buy a great knife with retail of $109 , internet price $75 all sold out..... we can "BY IT NOW" ON EBAY for $170 and some....
So people what done was done but there is another 600 on the way, please don’t buy more then you need. Let us all check out this remarkable steel...
Thanks Arnon
:) :) :o
The limited size of Spyderco's Delica ZDP Sprint Run in relation to the potential market + the potential for 'profiteering' (after how the ZDP Calypso Jr.'s prices skyrocketed) guaranteed that the demand for the ZDP Delicas would - at least initially - far exceed supply.

In addition to knife enthusiasts, Spyderco fans, and collectors all wanting ZDP Delicas, ZDP-189 got "talked up" so much on internet forums that it inevitably convinced a number of fad buyers, urban commandos, and mall ninjas that they needed one too. It seems that quite a few people were out to make a quick buck on the Delica as well, so they ordered a bunch to resell at a comfortable profit, further increasing demand. The long wait for ZDP Delicas didn't help any, as I'm sure pre-orders really piled up for that reason alone. Once again, the Caly Jr.-induced "ZDP-hype" resulted in high numbers of pre-orders. End result: Demand > Supply = Scarcity of Delicas.

As soon as it became clear that the Delica ZDP was in very high demand, people (including myself) rushed out to try and buy one. Hence, "Delica-hype" egged on by a early eBay auction w/ insanely-high bids. Result: collectors/knife people/profiteers all rush to buy ZDP Delicas. This obviously has the effect of greatly reducing the already limited number of Delicas on the market and thus increasing the difficulty of finding one for a reasonable price.

I'm also frustrated by people buying more Delicas than they needed for the express purpose of reselling at a significant profit [as well as retailers drastically raising prices and/or selling stock on eBay] but hey, it's a free country and they have every right to try a make a quick buck. Spyderco could have drastically raised MSRP for the Delica; instead they set a very reasonable price, following their tradition of respecting the End-Line-Users rather than gouging the market. It's unfortunate that many 3rd parties chose to do otherwise, preventing many ELUs from being able to own and use one of these superb knives at an affordable price.

In perspective though, ZDP-189 is an incremental improvement (not the Ne Plus Ultra end-all of blade steels) in terms of real-world performance.

Good luck finding ZDP knives in the future.

Best,
-Patriot

"Everyone wants to live at the expense of the state. They forget that the state lives at the expense of everyone." -- Frederic Bastiat
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

arnon, I feel your pain. I saw the silliness on EBay and abandoned hope of getting in on this sprint run. By wild chance, my "local" dealer still had some in his brick and mortar store, so I was able to get one :D . He told me he didn't even list them on his website, and still had people trying to order 4 or 5 at a time! Thank GOD he believes in USING knives just like I do, so he was selling them at an honest profit instead of gouging for all he could get. Ya gotta love them Texans!
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

They will be out in another color after the blue is gone. Straight from the horse's mouth.
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing." -- my grandfather
Collector #041
Civilian

Post by Civilian »

The Zdp releases have been kind of a wakeup call for me to get my ducks in a row as far as preordering so as to insure against paying over MSRP for knives.
MAT :spyder: TER
Just-American
WTC#1511
"Hunt You Down All Nightmare Long!"
"Civilian Lovers appreciate nice curves" insp. by Dr. Snubnose
OutofGum

Post by OutofGum »

Its weird cause I was able to easily find Caly ZDPs after they came out, and that run was a lot smaller. I actually got to order on 2 occasions (I wanted another after handling the first) and there were plenty of knives in stock. Both times I ordered it was based on recommendations made in this forum... this time no luck. I guess after people saw the crazy price the caly was getting on ebay they realized that they could turn a quick profit with a delica. Plus the steel is just so nice.

I even resorted to google to find some unheard of places that might have stock and the three orders I made were all cancelled with msgs from the vendor saying they were sold out. Has there ever been another run of knives that have gone up in value so quickly?
To the pessimist the glass is half empty, to the optimist the glass is half full, to the engineer its twice as big as it needs to be.
Patriot

Post by Patriot »

spyderknut wrote:They will be out in another color after the blue is gone. Straight from the horse's mouth.
Spyderco's responsiveness and commitment to the ELU is quite impressive. Another run of ZDP Delicas would be great news. Regrettably my favorite company has been known in the past to experience delays in getting products on the street (Blue ZDP Delica, Szabofly, etc). Hopefully things will run smoothly. Kudos to Spyderco and let's see more ZDP Delicas on the street!

Best,
-Patriot

"Everyone wants to live at the expense of the state. They forget that the state lives at the expense of everyone." -- Frederic Bastiat
OutofGum

Post by OutofGum »

Some vendors have been putting the Delicas on ebay. I guess spyderco doesn't control how and at what price their products are sold at?
To the pessimist the glass is half empty, to the optimist the glass is half full, to the engineer its twice as big as it needs to be.
Patriot

Post by Patriot »

Civilian wrote:The Zdp releases have been kind of a wakeup call for me to get my ducks in a row as far as preordering so as to insure against paying over MSRP for knives.
Pretty soon, we'll be calling NGK the day after Sal/TazKristi announces a knife to place pre-orders.... :rolleyes:

Best
-Patriot

peacefuljeffrey

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

Patriot wrote:In addition to knife enthusiasts, Spyderco fans, and collectors all wanting ZDP Delicas, ZDP-189 got "talked up" so much on internet forums that it inevitably convinced a number of fad buyers, urban commandos, and mall ninjas that they needed one too. It seems that quite a few people were out to make a quick buck on the Delica as well, so they ordered a bunch to resell at a comfortable profit, further increasing demand. ...

These are people of the same greedy mindset at those idiots who, in 1996, clambered over each other to buy "Tickle Me Elmo" so that they could sell them in the classifieds for $2000 apiece. And there were schmucks who were actually willing to pay that to spoil their idiot kids. Remember?

I'm also frustrated by people buying more Delicas than they needed for the express purpose of reselling at a significant profit [as well as retailers drastically raising prices and/or selling stock on eBay] but hey, it's a free country and they have every right to try a make a quick buck.
Comedian David Cross (you might know him as Tobias Funke on "Arrested Development) has a CD out in which he makes fun of GWB saying, "The terrorists hate our freedom!"

He comes back with, "I hate our freedom! This is all we've done with it? We're ***holes!

He has a pretty damned good point, unfortunately.

Just because someone can do something does not mean they ought to do it.

Think about that the next time you sense a knife is going to be a big in-demand hit and you decide to scarf up ten of them so you can sell them at drastically inflated prices to people who are just riding the bandwagon to get the next-big-thing. :rolleyes:

-Jeffrey
"Within this frame an ocean swells -- behind the smile -- I know it well..."
HoB

Post by HoB »

Patriot wrote:Pretty soon, we'll be calling NGK the day after Sal/TazKristi announces a knife to place pre-orders.... :rolleyes:

Best
Whaddaya mean: Pretty soon and THE DAY AFTER a knife is announced? I send Mary Beth an email the very day that TazKristi announced something that resembled a release date for the BG-42 CF Mili :) . Thank goodness that I am not as eager as some other people to get the Delica ZDP sprint run.
Patriot

Post by Patriot »

HoB wrote:Whaddaya mean: Pretty soon and THE DAY AFTER a knife is announced? I send Mary Beth an email the very day that TazKristi announced something that resembled a release date for the BG-42 CF Mili :) . Thank goodness that I am not as eager as some other people to get the Delica ZDP sprint run.
:eek: LOL! Once again I underestimate the voracity of :spyder: collectors eveywhere.
-Patriot

skcusloa

Post by skcusloa »

I admit I bought 2 knives and I'm ebaying one right now. I really need the money for a car to replace my 1989 town car. The other one is going to see strict use, unless some one offers me 200 bucks for it... I don't think so, I've already dropped the thing tip down. I didn't pre order or anything, my dealer just wasn't very popular and I asked about them and got them before he listed them on the web.

Maybe I'll eventually regret it. Maybe they will be worth 1000's of dollars one day, but I don't think so. The more ZDP that hits the market the cheaper the knives will be.
Andre V

Post by Andre V »

I was lucky enough to pre order my ZDP early. I missed the caly ZDP and with all the talk about the ZDP steel i just got myself in a knot, desperatly wanting one. I tried to order more but couldn't. I would have like to have one for use and one for collection purposes.

As far as the guys on ebay, good luck to them. If there are people willing to pay those prices for their goods, good luck to them. It doesn't bother me.
"So many knives, so little pockets"
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

I think the pace that ZDP is selling at is only a good thing. If it weren’t selling well Sal would have stopped using it. If it keeps flying off the shelves like this ZDP-189 may make it’s way into the regular lineup (please), and who wouldn’t want that?
peacefuljeffrey

Andre V wrote:i just got myself in a knot, desperatly wanting one.
I think that at such a point, it is helpful to remind oneself how many good, quality, useful knives one owns, and put back into perspective just how "badly" one needs the new knife.

How many people here, without a ZDP Delica, are stuck for something to cut with? :rolleyes:

As far as the guys on ebay, good luck to them. If there are people willing to pay those prices for their goods, good luck to them. It doesn't bother me.
Such people (those willing to pay exorbitant markup on a "desirable" item) ruin it for those of us who have perspective, and wish to have to pay only a reasonable amount for an item. These people do not affect only themselves when they willingly pay double, triple, quadruple what something should actually cost.

Please don't give me, "Whatever the market will pay is what it 'should actually cost'." That's crap.

If you were lost in the desert with five guys who were all millionaires, and came to an outpost that had water to sell, and all those guys were willing to pay $10,000 for bottles of water, and all you had was a lousy fifty bucks, is it fair that they can get ALL the water, leaving you NONE, just because they're willing to pay that much? Is the water truly worth $10,000 per bottle just because some people have that much money and are willing to pay that premium?

-Jeffrey
peacefuljeffrey

Joshua J. wrote:I think the pace that ZDP is selling at is only a good thing. If it weren’t selling well Sal would have stopped using it. If it keeps flying off the shelves like this ZDP-189 may make it’s way into the regular lineup (please), and who wouldn’t want that?

The Delica itself is Spyderco's all-time best seller. It didn't take ZDP to make it sell. And it didn't take it selling for 200%+ MSRP just to make Sal make more of them.

I don't know why you think this line of thinking is logical. No one is saying they don't want ZDP (allegedly a very superior steel) to make its way into the regular lineup. If it's half as good as people are acting like it is, I'd love to see more knives (affordable knives) made with it. But plenty of models have sold plenty well over the years to have Sal continue making them, and even improving on them, without the need for them to sell for ridiculous markup to spur continued manufacture.

More than likely, this steel would have come to be a regularly used one even if people were not spending $200 on an FRN Delica.

-Jeffrey
Andre V

Post by Andre V »

peacefuljeffrey wrote:I think that at such a point, it is helpful to remind oneself how many good, quality, useful knives one owns, and put back into perspective just how "badly" one needs the new knife.

How many people here, without a ZDP Delica, are stuck for something to cut with? :rolleyes:

That feeling is probably the reason i and a lot of people on this forum own so many knives. :D

[/QUOTE]Such people (those willing to pay exorbitant markup on a "desirable" item) ruin it for those of us who have perspective, and wish to have to pay only a reasonable amount for an item. These people do not affect only themselves when they willingly pay double, triple, quadruple what something should actually cost.

Please don't give me, "Whatever the market will pay is what it 'should actually cost'." That's crap.

If you were lost in the desert with five guys who were all millionaires, and came to an outpost that had water to sell, and all those guys were willing to pay $10,000 for bottles of water, and all you had was a lousy fifty bucks, is it fair that they can get ALL the water, leaving you NONE, just because they're willing to pay that much? Is the water truly worth $10,000 per bottle just because some people have that much money and are willing to pay that premium?

-Jeffrey[/QUOTE]

Fair...Imagine you where the guy selling the water. ;)
"So many knives, so little pockets"
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Right now the problem is that ZDP is only available in high-end William Henry's, and in some long-anticipated sprint runs from Spyderco. This insanity should die down once the market is saturated, where everyone who wants a ZDP knife has at least one. Though it seems like a lot of collectors are trying to get one of everything ZDP.

I won't be surprised if a ZDP Delica becomes regular production addition to the lineup.
"Wild animals are beautiful because they have hard lives."
- Paul Graham