Stabbings & Stupidity

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Jimd

Stabbings & Stupidity

Post by Jimd »

Okay, first the stabbing...
Yesterday afternoon, one of our model citizens was stabbed eight times in the back with one of the shears in the correctional industries shop, where he works.

Rather than report what happened, he made it back to his cell and packed his wounds full of toilet paper in an effort to stop the bleeding. It's common for inmates to try to doctor themselves up, rather than go to the Hole.

At any rate, he went down to the chow hall after count to try to get a meal, and apparently was bleeding profusely, which drew the attention of the local authorities.

Long story short, he was medevacked out by chopper last evening for extreme blood loss. The state police were in coducting their investigation last night.

Now for the Stupidity....
This is a true story. I swear.
A few days ago, Officer "H" was working one of our towers (we have nine). The large door to the prison's Sally Port jammed up. Procedure is for the tower officer to lower the keys so the Sally Port officers can unlock the box and retrieve the manual gate crank to operate the gate manually.

Well, "H" should have gotten the keys, taken them out onto the cat walk to drop them down safely to the officer below. Now "H" is a rather fat and lazy specimen, to put it mildly. He simply opened up the window to the tower and threw the keys out the window.

Now normally, one listens and one hears the keys hit the ground, as the ring weighs several pounds. This was not the case. You see, the keys caught on one of the many strands of razor wire that now adorn the prison's 35-foot-tall wall. And that's where they stayed. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. Do not get out of jail free.

Thusly, the Sally Port was immobilized, and deliveries were unable to enter the prison, nor leave. Maintenance had to be summoned with a ladder to retrieve the keys. Since this was the coldest day of the year, with an invigorating 35-mile-per-hour breeze blowing, they were thrilled at the prospect of crawling up a very tall ladder while nearly being blown off in the bitter cold.

I'm sure a good time was had by all. I do know that "H"'s antics were quickly known far and wide throughout the prison. News travels quickly, don'tcha know! :wave:

You know, I wouldn't believe many of my stories had I not seen it firsthand, with mine own eyes.
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Jimd wrote:You know, I wouldn't believe many of my stories had I not seen it firsthand, with mine own eyes.
I worked (as a civilian) in the "back" of a max for a while, so I find them pretty easy to believe. Recall one inmate claiming the deep puncture wound in his leg was from being hit by a meteor. :eek: :D On a more serious note, glad those keys didn't land on someones head, but I can believe that story too. Worked with some highly competent, dedicated, hard working CO's but also had to work around some of "H"'s caliber. Hope that's the worst thing that happens in your workplace this week.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Apparently, around Auckland's prison, there is a high fence around the wall, as a freeway crosses over the top of prison wall corner. Inmate's mates throw KFC, Big Macs etc as they drive past, and if the throw is not strong enough, the inmates can only stare upwards and watch as crows etc feed on the food jammed into the razor wire!!

So near, and yet so far....

Stuart
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Howzit Jim!

YuuuuuuuuuuuuuuP!!! That's how it is here as well in my "****"...Ask an inmate in the med unit what happened to his face...answer: I fell off my bunk last night and hit the table. Suuuuuuuure! The ones that are kinda funny in a morbid way are the ones who attempt suicide with their razors...they remove the blade, and make these TINY slits across their forearms, I mean, it looked like a cat scratched them.Ugh, what a cry for help.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, officer "H"...I bet there are MANY of those in most occupations. These fools can be quite hazardous in OUR occupation all things considered. If this happened at our facility, officer "H" would most likely be reprimanded...possibly suspended. But then again, that depends greatly on who he/she knows though. Can you say double standards!?! :mad:

Well, like my NY bro said...hopefully that'll be the worst...I know, I know..."yeah right!". Hang in there bro, and keep an eye on yer 6! 1*...

God bless
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

Man, I've seen the full spectrum (and then some!!) of the suicide thing.

I've seen quite a few that were successful, and many more that were not.

I've seen the "cat scratches" that you speak of. One guy I know took a handful of aspirin (to thin his blood) and sliced the living **** out of his wrists, severing tendons, arteries, etc. He survived, but needed several pints of blood. Seen many more severe self-inflicted cuttings.

A number of our inmates have fulfilled their life sentences with drug overdoses.

One enterprising fellow checked out by taping several butane cigarette lighters together, taping their switches down so the gas would continuously flow, and put a plastic bag around his head, trapping the gas inside and killing himself.

One poor bastard unwittingly managed to kill himself while he was sitting on the toilet, listening to his television with head phones. The wire to the phones was damaged (bare wire?) and somehow electrocuted him to death. What a crappy way to go.

One fellow launched himself from the second tier of the RHU, but survived, breaking numerous portions of his body.

Jeez, I can't even remember them all...
Well, happy holidays!
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!