Burnt Orange Rex 45

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: Burnt Orange Rex 45

Post by Sharp Guy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:14 pm
Does anybody know what hardness the HAP40 knives were run at?
That would be nice to know for comparison.

It'll be interesting to see how REX 45 compares to HAP40.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

sal wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:46 pm
Tom said they averaged 66.5

sal
Wow....
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

Looks like the Military is still up for preorder. :)
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

sal wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:46 pm
Tom said they averaged 66.5

sal
YES!!!!
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Chumango

Post by Chumango »

Calicoast wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:18 pm
Just went to preorder through Knifecenter at $188.00 showing discontinued / out of stock now. I thought this was around $140-50 originally?
-C
That was the Military you ordered. The PM2 and Para 3 are in the range you thought or less.
glutofknives

Post by glutofknives »

Can we get a rough ETA for these? I am so excited to get one. This is literally my 3 favorite knives, favorite color, and I prefer non stainless steel. Awesome.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:20 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:14 pm
Does anybody know what hardness the HAP40 knives were run at?
That would be nice to know for comparison.

It'll be interesting to see how REX 45 compares to HAP40.
If rex45 is 66, the hap40 sprints will pale in comparison.
64+ is what I was hoping for.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

jpm2 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:14 pm
The HAP40 sprints may "pale in comparison" as far as hardness but it'll be interesting to see how that high hardness changes the steel. One of the things I like most about HAP40 is that it gets wicked sharp fairly easily. I'm sure that'll change with REX 45 but by how much? I'll interested to see how it sharpens compared to S110V, ZDP 189, etc.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

https://youtu.be/HjdyaNem1QU

Para 2 Rex 45 can be seen in this vid.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:44 pm
jpm2 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:14 pm
The HAP40 sprints may "pale in comparison" as far as hardness but it'll be interesting to see how that high hardness changes the steel. One of the things I like most about HAP40 is that it gets wicked sharp fairly easily. I'm sure that'll change with REX 45 but by how much? I'll interested to see how it sharpens compared to S110V, ZDP 189, etc.
I have several home made knives from high speed tool steels with 5, 8, & 10% Co. They are all 65+ hrc with industrial ht for parting tools. If rex45 is run like those, it should have similar performance characteristics.
I always wondered how one of my blades would perform at lower hardness. The hap40 sprints gave me my answer.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

At 65+, I may have to break my promise to myself not to buy more non-stainless folders.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I spied a VTOKU Delica 4 in the display case in that cool video. Also looks like they had the HAP40 Wharncliffe Delica.

The orange on that REX45 PM2 looks good.
Mzen

Post by Mzen »

Anyone with the knowledge for making comparisons between this and S35VN? (I guess not this specifically but using Hap40 as an example) This metal is a bit of an unknown for me. Mostly interested in wear resistance and toughness info.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Rc 66 is full hardness for M2/M3. That number is pretty amazing and as far as I know the first time that I'm aware of M2 /M3 being run at full hardness in a production knife. I'd be happy anywhere at rc 62-63 on up for this class steel. :) It should be very another very high performer.

Joe
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Mzen wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:12 am
Anyone with the knowledge for making comparisons between this and S35VN? (I guess not this specifically but using Hap40 as an example) This metal is a bit of an unknown for me. Mostly interested in wear resistance and toughness info.
REX 45 should cut longer, take a crisper edge better. Hold a polished edge better. Hold a toothy edge better and have decent toughness for being at 65+rc

S35vn will sharpen faster, will be more malleable and ductile, stainless so it won't rust.

I'm not impressed with the performance of s35vn since it's compromising so much to maintain a balanced set of attributes.

Sometimes when you try to be good at everything you're good at nothing.

REX45 is more like a "hot rod" it's for guys that appreciate more performance over balance.

So for some guys that just need a "Prius" it's probably not for them.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

:) Yeah. It's true.

Joe
Mzen

Post by Mzen »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:44 am
Mzen wrote:
REX 45 should cut longer, take a crisper edge better. Hold a polished edge better. Hold a toothy edge better and have decent toughness for being at 65+rc

S35vn will sharpen faster, will be more malleable and ductile, stainless so it won't rust.

I'm not impressed with the performance of s35vn since it's compromising so much to maintain a balanced set of attributes.

REX45 is more like a "hot rod" it's for guys that appreciate more performance over balance.

Sounds very interesting so far! But all of that goodness leads me to think it will be a bit more on the chippy side compared to other steels, or am I assuming wrong?
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Mzen wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:32 am
Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:44 am
Mzen wrote:

Sounds very interesting so far! But all of that goodness leads me to think it will be a bit more on the chippy side compared to other steels, or am I assuming wrong?
We have to wait and see how it turns out.

We haven't used it yet.

The advantage of these carbon tool steels is that they are not as chippy as there stainless PM cousins especially at high hardness. You would be surprised how tough they are at the edge for 65+ rc when used as a cutting tool. Should hold up better then s110v when you hit a staple in a box.
Steels like M4, K390, 10v

At the same time there not invincible. We all have those friends that argue a knife is a "tool" and they use their knife like a cold chisel, screwdriver, shovel, prybar.

I get it, but we have to understand using a knife like that is a big comprimise to cutting performance and I strongly feel a knife is made to cut or it's not a knife.

While it's not going to explode when abused, it's not going to be impressive if that's how you measure a knifes performance, might as well just save money and put an 90° inclusive edge on 8cr13mov and reveal in ultimate durablity especially since it's not being used to cut or sharpened.

Regardless, we have to see how it turns out.

I'm very excited about REX 45 not because it's like HAP40, but because Golden has a killer team that can really push the HT at high hardness and give great performance.

Stoked.

I just hope they aren't giving up on Maxamet.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Mzen

Post by Mzen »

Nah, I treat my blades with respect, the only time I've had something bad happen to me chip-wise was when I dropped my Rat 1 in D2 on a concrete floor at work, got a nasty chip near the tip. I have an Opinel that I lend to coleagues at work, super sharp, 5 minutes later they have already dulled it, so I think your hard use example is more directed to them haha

My frn Native 5 lasts the whole work week because I know how to handle it. I'm just looking for impressions because I'm always looking for (needless) reasons to upgrade my work blades, plus I love that orange handle.

I was also wondering about the toughness because the PM2 tip looks like it will break just by staring at it too hard... (never owned a PM2, that very delicate looking tip is the main reason, so I might be very wrong about this) So, if I ever end up giving it a chance, the steel needs to be up to snuff on that regard.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:09 pm
https://youtu.be/HjdyaNem1QU

Para 2 Rex 45 can be seen in this vid.
Did anyone else jump when that knife fell in the display case when she was reaching for the forum knife? Lol
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb