Am I the only one?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Termite Toothpick

Re: Am I the only one?

Post by Termite Toothpick »

I always wonder though, how many of these posts we see of "I broke my tip AND IT'S NOT MY FAULT",...if they were flicking it and it flew out of their hand. It would be the "cool" way to do it, but also the most likely for a flying knife incident! Oh, and I am guilty of having fun flicking mine every so often as well.
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

I flick with the pointer/index finger.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I only seem to be able to do it with my index or middle finger if the detent is strong
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I can flick just about anything except back locks.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

xceptnl wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 2:59 am
I only seem to be able to do it with my index or middle finger if the detent is strong
If it's not I'll hold some tension with my thumb and flick with my index finger, makes it so I can flick just about anything.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Well, don't I feel like a hipster... I pretty much ONLY flick with my thumb or middle finger, which ever one is less sore from said flicking. Lock backs are tough so I use the boring roll open with the thumb. My Delica is getting close to thumb flickingable. Centofante 3 was thumb or middle finger no problem after switching to tip up carry
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I still don't own a Spyderco that I can't thumb flick open, but there are a few that I can't middle finger flip open.

A couple back locks, Squareheads and Dogtags, and the Techno have been the few that I can't manage to middle finger flick open. Everything else though, I've found it to be possible.
- Nick :bug-red
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I don't flick. The whole point of a thumbhole is to make this easy and controllable.

Want something fun to play with? Get a flipper.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

In 1990 when I bought my first Spyderco, an Endura SE,
I cut myself five times and stuck it in the carpet once.

Those days I would start it open with my thumb
and snap it open with a flick of the wrist,
but I've slowed down a lot now that I'm 70.

As previously mentioned,
the size and weight of the blade
make all the difference.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

I tend to flick my knives while at my desk at work alot. I guess it is just a way of stress relief.

One tip I have that made the world of difference to me is- When applying pressure with your middle finger (or whatever finger) try and direct that pressure more towards the pivot rather than away from the knife. It sounds counter intuitive consididering the knife blade swings open outward, but give it a shot. Spyderco leaves there holes without much of an edge break on purpose. It grabs my nail, sticks, then flies open when the right amount of pressure is applied.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

The direction of the push matters. Pushing UP, toward where the blade's coming out, more than OUT, perpendicular to the handle is the key. I can do it with the middle or index finger, but it doesn't feel secure like the thumb flick does. I think if I had the clip at that end, I'd feel a little more secure.

And I only flick my PM2s, because when I thumb it open all the way I have a tendency to pinch skin from my palm in the Comp Lock tab. Every other knife I thumb open normally.
FullCircleHook

Post by FullCircleHook »

Unfortunately, I also constantly play and flick my knives. It’s a bad habit, but I love it! Haha

I agree that it just takes practice for the middle finger flick. I think any size hand should be able to middle finger flick a PM2. I still can’t reliably middle finger flip the back locks though.

Regardless, I always seem to open with my thumb when I actually use the knife. Spydie flicks are reserved for playing with them. Haha
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I don't flick any of mine
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
allhatnocattle

Post by allhatnocattle »

Im a dedicated thumb flicker but I can also use my index finger.

The middle finger is a no go for me, I dont get angry often enough to use it so i guess the muscles are kinda on the weak side :D
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Spydergirl, please don't take this the wrong way because I'm not trying to be a jerk when I say this.

Have you actually put in some practice flicking it open?

I feel like anyone could do a pm2 or military with enough practice. I understand if you haven't put in the time, it's nowhere near a necessary ability lol.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
DrawBackwards

Post by DrawBackwards »

I can middle-finger flick a PM2, Manix, or Domino; and yes, the Domino is silly because: flipper. I don't know why I figured that out. :rolleyes:

The thumb-flick is difficult on the Domino, so I don't try that - too close to earning that "cut myself" badge. Again. But the PM2 & Manix thumb-flick open easily, and my Caly has broken in enough to reliably thumb-flick.

Both of my older daughters have smaller hands than I do, and they can't flick open anything. My son's hands are bigger than mine, and he enjoys flicking his PM2.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Pelagic wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 9:50 am
Spydergirl, please don't take this the wrong way because I'm not trying to be a jerk when I say this.

Have you actually put in some practice flicking it open?

I feel like anyone could do a pm2 or military with enough practice. I understand if you haven't put in the time, it's nowhere near a necessary ability lol.
I've been practicing today and the best I can do is 3/4 open. Previously it was only 1/2 open :p baby steps
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I can barely do it with my finger but it is easy for me to do using my thumb.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 7:13 pm
I've been practicing today and the best I can do is 3/4 open. Previously it was only 1/2 open :p baby steps
This may help ... if you’re trying to flick with your middle finger, hold your index finger parallel to the handle/scales. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
embry386

Post by embry386 »

I can't flick any of my knives open like that. Can't even open them the slower way with my thumb in the Spydiehole. Just don't have the hand strength.

However, I've devised a way of flicking open my Native, which goes like this: hold knife in your right hand pivot-up with the display side toward you, stick index finger through the Spydiehole up to the second knuckle (finger should be coming through the hole from the non-display-side and pointing towards your face), hold thumb back and out of the way, flick your hand to spin the knife rapidly counterclockwise around your finger until it's in a tip-up position and the pivot end hits your knuckles. If you do it hard and fast enough, the knife will snap open and dangle from your finger through the Spydiehole. Looks quite impressive and is very loud and fast to do once you get the hang of it, and is super fun.

Just don't try that method on an Endura though, the shape of the blade means that you will get pinched badly enough to lose a chunk of flesh. Worst knife-related injury I've even gotten in ~15yrs of playing with knives.