** 2015 FORUM KNIFE POLL - VOTING HAS ENDED **

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What Spyderco knife model would you like to see as the next Forum knife?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:16 pm

Paramilitary 2
39%
Manix 2
11%
Caly 3.5
26%
Foundry
0%
Domino
5%
Southard
2%
Spyderco R (Solid Non-skeletonized Blade)
3%
SuperHawk
5%
SuperLeaf
3%
Persian
3%

Total votes: 203

apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Re: 2015 Forum Knife Model Poll

Post by apollo »

DougC-3 wrote:
bh49 wrote: If somebody would make a poll on a price range, under $100 would win by huge margin.
That poll would probably need to be first. That's it! We need a poll to establish hierarchy of polls then repoll everything! :) ... but we wouldn't know when to do the hierarchy poll until we knew the hierarchy :confused: :eek:

If Sal reeds this post i think he would fall off his chair. :rolleyes: :p
RobC2

Post by RobC2 »

For no logical reason that I can articulate, I feel the forum knife should be a US made model. That narrows it down a little for me.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

RobC2 wrote:For no logical reason that I can articulate, I feel the forum knife should be a US made model. That narrows it down a little for me.
I was thinking the exact same thing today!
BrofessorOak

Post by BrofessorOak »

RobC2 wrote:For no logical reason that I can articulate, I feel the forum knife should be a US made model. That narrows it down a little for me.
Why? From what I've seen the Taiwan made ones have had better fit and finish.
1x Manix 2 | 3x Endura 4 | 1x Endura 3 | 1x Tenacious that started it all.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Without doubts for Spyderco much easier to control process in Golden. Still in the past there were several Forum knives made in Japan: blue Spyderhawk, blue Native3, Adventura and Lava.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

BrofessorOak wrote:
Why? From what I've seen the Taiwan made ones have had better fit and finish.
For me the forum knife is a bit like a commemorative piece. I just like the idea of it being made at the home base. More of just a sentimental idea than a pragmatic one.

Btw, I would agree that quality on knives from the Taichung factory is quite high but I have several pieces from Golden that are outstanding examples of high level f&f.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Hey, the Caly 3.5 has pulled out ahead, 19 to 18! And there are 16 other votes which may at some point want to switch to the Caly or PM2...
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

NoFair wrote:Lum tanto would be sweetness in HAP40 or a Starmate with similar treatment.. Not to sound negative, but I'm not too interested in duplicates (triplicates etc. of the current options ;))
I agree that it would be great if the forum knife could be something really different that most of us would not have had an opportunity or excuse to buy. You know, you could tell your friends or family, "I wouldn't usually carry (or be able to afford) something like this (fill in the blank... Jot Singh Khalsa, Poliwog, etc) but I had to buy it because it was the Forum Knife" :D The problem here is that there are so many different distinctive, marginal spydies with their separate cult followings that it's like herding cats to try to get forumites behind a single knife. I think the next best thing is to use a knife everybody doesn't already have and that is somewhat unusual. I have 5 PM1 and PM2's and 8 Manixes but only one Caly 3.5, the ZDP-189 CF model. I'd like to have one in G-10 (preferably not diamond cut blue, sorry :rolleyes: ) and HAP40 would be great, but I love VG-10 which could be used to lower cost. I think we may have a HAP40 Endura on the docket already.

As far as origin is concerned, I like a lot of variety, and I already have a US-made forum knife ;)

On a different subject, this discussion has brought up another point I can't help noting. Two of the most loved and longest running models, the Delica and Endura, are so far apart in size and blade length (2.87" and 3.75") that neither qualifies for the forum knife specs. They straddle the allowed blade size range by a wide margin, with the Endura's blade about 0.9" longer than Delica's. A lot of people find the Delica a bit small and the Endura a little big. My point is that we need a "Delicura" (or "Endelica" :) ) with a 3 1/3" blade. (I'd prefer scaled up from the Delica, ie, with a broader blade than the Endura.) The Nishijin R comes close and has a choil as well, but it's disco'ed and isn't part of the series. Just saying.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

apollo wrote:
DougC-3 wrote:
bh49 wrote: If somebody would make a poll on a price range, under $100 would win by huge margin.
That poll would probably need to be first. That's it! We need a poll to establish hierarchy of polls then repoll everything! :) ... but we wouldn't know when to do the hierarchy poll until we knew the hierarchy :confused: :eek:
Right... I hope we're not bordering on paralysis by analysis :o
remnar

Post by remnar »

DougC-3 wrote: The problem here is that there are so many different distinctive, marginal spydies with their separate cult followings that it's like herding cats to try to get forumites behind a single knife.
Yup!

I know the poll showed a preference for a blade longer than 3", but I would like to see more unique models in the list even if they are closer to (or even a little less than) 3". MEOW! That being said, I voted for the SuperHawk.
Last edited by remnar on Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

remnar wrote:
DougC-3 wrote: The problem here is that there are so many different distinctive, marginal spydies with their separate cult followings that it's like herding cats to try to get forumites behind a single knife.
Yup!

http://youtu.be/Pk7yqlTMvp8" target="_blank

I know the poll showed a preference for a blade longer than 3", but I would like to see more unique models in the list even if they are closer to (or even a little less than) 3". MEOW! That being said, I voted for the SuperHawk.
lol, I think the video is fake, they would be harder to herd than that :D

I would have voted for the R or maybe the Superleaf, but I knew neither would have a chance... well maybe, without some extreme persuasion.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

remnar wrote:
Yup!

I agree. I have doubts about our technique of arbitrarily (seemingly) starting with blade length and immediately throwing everything that didn't conform with that one poll out of the running. It essentially made this a two horse race and like you said, left a LOT of cool options by the wayside.

I would be tickled to see a tidal wave of anarchy where folks come out of the woodwork requesting a model that's not even on the list. What happened to all the Michael Walker fans for example? I would vote for that knife as my second option well before any of the other knives in this poll.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

remnar wrote: That being said, I voted for the SuperHawk.
That's because you are clearly extremely handsome and very intelligent.

I too wish there were other models in this race, the Michael Walker being one of them. I'm very much in favor of some smaller models. However, I fear that if that were the case and we had a poll full of winners, I'd never be able to decide on one model. I'd change my vote every hour.

The good news is nothing is official and there's plenty of time to incite a riot and fight about this till we all get banned. :D
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I'm just gonna say, I think the new G10/ZDP Stretch would be a great idea, maybe with Hap40 and a different color G10 (British Racing Green)? They gave us the Forum Native right before the regular sprint run came out, the only difference being the G10 scales; it seems like this was really easy to do!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

Hey Gringo, I like where you are going witht the chaos theory. How about a walker or a Dodo if you want us made and uniquely spyderco.
araneae

Post by araneae »

In the past, Sal has indicated that a Golden made model is referred for a forum knife. Not saying it couldn't happen, but Golden made seems most likely. Also, as mentioned, the lower the cost, the more likely that a lot of folks can buy one. Models that retail for over $200 in standard production will cost even more as a modified forum knife so choosing Southards, Foundries (which is brand new model just into production further reducing the likelihood of a variant being produced) and Dominos really puts the forum knife out of reach of a lot of folks. Choosing disco'd models also reduces the likelihood that it will ever happen.

Keep it realistic and as simple as possible and remember that we can have all the polls we want, but the spydercrew gets to choose the model at the end of the day...
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

araneae wrote:
Keep it realistic and as simple as possible and remember that we can have all the polls we want, but the spydercrew gets to choose the model at the end of the day...
You heard him, more polls!

You're right, araneae, and Manixfan and (I believe) the rest of us are aware they get the final say. But without much direction, you can't blame us for daydreaming. :) I'm guessing we're not that far out there yet, because Sal hasn't explicitly shot anything down yet. Perhaps with enough interest, any model could be eligible. Until HQ lays down some rules, I say we just keep the creative juices flowing.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

ohcyclist wrote:Hey Gringo, I like where you are going witht the chaos theory. How about a walker or a Dodo if you want us made and uniquely spyderco.
I'd probably take a poliwog over the dodo. :cool:
bh49

Post by bh49 »

timlara wrote:Thanks, ManixFan! Go Dark Blue Diamond-Cut Caly3.5!!!! :D
Dark green will be even better :)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

apollo wrote:
DougC-3 wrote:

I believe that this was the intend. Good job Doug :D