Functional lanyards and fobs.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
On Edge

Re: Functional lanyards and fobs.

Post by On Edge »

animportant wrote:" ... Lion Armory King Leonidas Bead, Solid Copper, 1000 year patina effect. Really happy how this came out and improved functionality!! (Forgive poor Iphone quality) ... "

^^ Nice bead! ^^

animportant

Post by animportant »

Thanks man!!!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

That spartan bead is super cool! I really like the look of antiqued copper.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I almost have to have a short one on my Techno to make it easy to get out of my pocket. Some others as well. And as you said on smaller knives they make using them more comfortable. I like a short "hangman's noose" FOB on my Manbug. I use the Hangman's noose FOB because it's the only one I know how to tie. :)

I have put lanyards on knifes for appearance before but not any more. The longer ones just get in the way and if the loop through the lanyard hole is too big it can pivot around and be in the way when I close the blade.
animportant

Post by animportant »

That's a cool idea. I think I'm going to try hangmans noose too.. And yea, some lanyards look cool but if it takes away from function it's gotta go.
LC Kid

Long Live the Lanyard!

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

A good functional knife lanyard is a must, at least for me. :)

Actually, I'll always prefer a knife with a lanyard hole.

I go for the function side, the lanyards on my pocket knives are there for me to put my fingers inside the loop when grab/use them, and to wrap my wrist when using my fixed blades.

And about the beads I discovered long time ago the main fact about them: the less weight they have, the better they are. :cool:

The only heavy (metal) beads I use are those in my flashlights, for some weird reason the weight work wonders for a torch. :D
jackknifeh

Re: Long Live the Lanyard!

Post by jackknifeh »

LC Kid wrote:Hi Folks!

A good functional knife lanyard is a must, at least for me. :)

Actually, I'll always prefer a knife with a lanyard hole.

I go for the function side, the lanyards on my pocket knives are there for me to put my fingers inside the loop when grab/use them, and to wrap my wrist when using my fixed blades.

And about the beads I discovered long time ago the main fact about them: the less weight they have, the better they are. :cool:

The only heavy (metal) beads I use are those in my flashlights, for some weird reason the weight work wonders for a torch. :D
The weight may or may not apply all the time for this but I hate FOB's that stick out or up from my side. I want them to hang down. Normally this is ok as long as the FOB material is flexible and long enoug (from the knife). I did have a FOB one time I put a small section of deer antler on the end to add weight to make the thing hang down. One thing is for sure for me. I'll never pay more than $5 (example price) for a FOB. Then again there was a day I'd never pay more than $25 for a pocket knife. :)

Jack
David from NC

Post by David from NC »

Evil D wrote:

I won't lie and say I haven't dropped my knife, but I successfully catch it every time with my toes and flip it back up into my hand, every time.

I "caught" an open Al Mar SERE with my toe once while hiking and sitting beside a river with Tevas on. That took a lot of gauze... :eek: The hike out was memorable once it was bandaged and I got my boot back on... :cool:
Last edited by David from NC on Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
David

Blue Titanium/Jigged Bone: Endura Damascus, Delica Damascus (finally!)
Foliage G10: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
OD Green G10: Worker Sprint
Black FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG, Dragonfly FFG, Matriarch 2, Lil Matriarch, Centofante 3, Salt 1 PE
Grey FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
Purple FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
Green FRN: Delica FFG
Denim Blue FRN: Lil Matriarch PE (Thanks McL!)
David from NC

Post by David from NC »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Why you got to pull a Fluted Military out yo' butt??? :D
David

Blue Titanium/Jigged Bone: Endura Damascus, Delica Damascus (finally!)
Foliage G10: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
OD Green G10: Worker Sprint
Black FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG, Dragonfly FFG, Matriarch 2, Lil Matriarch, Centofante 3, Salt 1 PE
Grey FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
Purple FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
Green FRN: Delica FFG
Denim Blue FRN: Lil Matriarch PE (Thanks McL!)
Boar-gen

Post by Boar-gen »

Hi,

I use lanyards mainly for two reason:

1.) Easier to grab the clipped knife from the pocket.
2.) So I can put my pinky finger in the lanyard ring and that way secure it so I don't drop the knife.

Then here is a solution for Yojimbo 2 which don't have a lanyard hole, and this solution is suitable for any knife with a clip:

Regards,

Boar-gen
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Evil D wrote:

I can't figure out how you did that paracord thing. Could you please explain? :confused:
- best wishes, Jazz.
DNM85

Post by DNM85 »

It looks to be sewn in a loop.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Saw this on BF's. Gave me a chuckle.

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Jazz wrote:
Evil D wrote:

I can't figure out how you did that paracord thing. Could you please explain? :confused:

LOL, I get that every time I post this pic. It's really simple, just take the inside strands out so it's just the sheath, melt the ends down a bit so they're not frayed, then melt one end and roll it in your fingers so it can slip inside the other end. Then you put it through the lanyard hole, put the rolled up end into the other end and melt them together. Then you turn it so that the seam is inside the lanyard hole so you can't see it. To keep it from spinning and coming out, I melted the insides of the sheath where they touch, which also keeps the keyring down at the end. It's more complicated to type than do lol.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Thanks. I'm sure you've explained it before, but I don't remember where.
- best wishes, Jazz.
TheTKJProject

Post by TheTKJProject »

I always use lanyards, I usually just throw a snake knot on them, it holds them nicely and when I freak out cause I cant feel my :spyder: PM2, I just reach down and grab the lanyard! ;)
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I've tried using a small lanyard for extra grip on a few knives but always end up taking them off. I just seem to prefer to not use one. I even took the one my CRK came with off. I'll use one to attach a small knife to my keys or even as a dangler for a little multi-tool. If I'm up in an area where I can't or don't want to drop a knife, on the roof for example, I'll attach a longer lanyard and loop it around my wrist just in case, but for the most part I prefer my knives without one even if they do look nice.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?