Military or PM2 as all-around EDC? (if can pick just 1)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DansGunBlog

Re: Military or PM2 as all-around EDC? (if can pick just 1)

Post by DansGunBlog »

yablanowitz wrote:All I can tell you is I've carried a Military in my right back pocket every day for about six years now and the Paramilitary and Para2 together totaled about six months of pocket time. Anyone who thinks the Military is too thin for hard use needs to sharpen their knife using skills more than they need to sharpen their knives. (Or buy a crowbar and carry that.)
I hear that... good tangent there, pry tools are awesome. I COULD hammer stuff with my Glock, but I don't. Same reason I have no intention of prying with a quality knife... Right tool for the job, when life permits. :)
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee
R1Dave

Post by R1Dave »

By thin I meant the grind and fine tip. I would never pry with a pocket knife.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Tough call. I use them for different reasons but have EDCed both quite a bit. Both have things I would change and things I love. I prefer the lock on the Para, but prefer the ergos of the Military. Behind the choil grip isn't that great on the Para for me but it's amazing on the Military. Edge length is close enough that I don't think I'd sweat that too much. For me it would come down to lock and ergo preferences. If the butt of the Para handle didn't have any point, I'd probably choose it. I've ground as much G10 down as I can without hitting the liner and it did help some. If the Military had a compression lock it would win hands down.
Last edited by Evil D on Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

I disagree with all of your answers.

We all know buy both is the only correct decision.

Have both of them and love both of them.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

If people objecting to large knives wasn't an issue I'd carry a Military 90+% of the time. I only carry a PM2 some days because with a low riding clip it is more discrete.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Stretch works find for me, thanks. Can't imagine a circumstance under which I'd want a knife with an overly thick blade, overly bulky handle, an almost always (with the sole exception of the LH Military) wrong handed lock, a name that conjures up images of combat, and a choice between butt-ugly monochromatic peel ply G-10 and "GI Joe wannabe" peel-ply digicam G-10 scales, in my pocket for 5 minutes, much less as something I'd carry on a regular basis.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:I disagree with all of your answers.

Can't believe it took someone a page and a half to post the correct answer. Seriously, you guys are slipping!! ;)
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Surfingringo wrote:
HarleyXJGuy wrote:I disagree with all of your answers.

Can't believe it took someone a page and a half to post the correct answer. Seriously, you guys are slipping!! ;)
Didn't bother to read the thread did we :D Hint: See first page..
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

The Deacon wrote:Stretch works find for me, thanks. Can't imagine a circumstance under which I'd want a knife with an overly thick blade, overly bulky handle, an almost always (with the sole exception of the LH Military) wrong handed lock, a name that conjures up images of combat, and a choice between butt-ugly monochromatic peel ply G-10 and "GI Joe wannabe" peel-ply digicam G-10 scales, in my pocket for 5 minutes, much less as something I'd carry on a regular basis.
When I compared a Stretch to a Millie the Stretch seemed like a cheap made out of recycled Lego Blocks plastic toy...
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Both great as edc but I prefer the Para since I often prefer a smaller blade for fine carving or similar work and also don't really carry a blade as a means of self defense.(when I want a bigger blade I'd rather have a fixed blade)
I also prefer the compression lock.
If you want a big folder, go for the Military.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Philo Beddoe wrote: When I compared a Stretch to a Millie the Stretch seemed like a cheap made out of recycled Lego Blocks plastic toy...
The Stretch has been made in several other materials beside FRN and Paul (Deacon) has a few :p
I have one in CF and with a ZDP blade:

That said I prefer the Military when I don't have to worry about other peoples opinions:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Philo Beddoe wrote:
The Deacon wrote:Stretch works find for me, thanks. Can't imagine a circumstance under which I'd want a knife with an overly thick blade, overly bulky handle, an almost always (with the sole exception of the LH Military) wrong handed lock, a name that conjures up images of combat, and a choice between butt-ugly monochromatic peel ply G-10 and "GI Joe wannabe" peel-ply digicam G-10 scales, in my pocket for 5 minutes, much less as something I'd carry on a regular basis.
When I compared a Stretch to a Millie the Stretch seemed like a cheap made out of recycled Lego Blocks plastic toy...
I'd disagree, but to each his own.

Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Whoa, no need to bash other peoples preferences.

I like the Military, the Para2 and the Stretch and there are things I would change about all of them.

The Military could have a compression lock.

The Para2 could have thinner stock.

The Stretch could have a different blade shape and a deeper choil.

I find all three to feel very comfortable in hand and there are things I love about all three.

The Military is terrific if you have gloves on and is all the hard use folder I will ever need.

The Para2 has been made available in plenty of colors and plenty of great steels, has an awesome lock and fits my hand wonderfully.

The stretch is available in FRN which I enjoy and it has thinner stock. It is ambidextrous which means nothing to me but does deserve mention.

Personally I prefer the Para2 of the three and just wish it had 3mm stock and it would be perfect. I am also a lover of camo and not a GI Joe wanna be. :D I have just been an outdoorsman all my life. The name of a knife doesn't really have that much effect on me but I also loath most things about marketing and that is all a name really is anyway.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
550bands

Post by 550bands »

I can tell you from personal experience that I like the military better. It all started when I was looking for a new spyderco and came across all the articles praising the pm2. It became an obsession to get this knife. I finally found it and all was good, until I was searching my favorite knife website and came across my spyderco left hand military. I was certain. That the pm2 was way better and I didn't need the older dated military. The pm2 is ambi and all I will ever need. But I kept going back to the knife, I finally decided I had to have it. Being a left hand specific model made me want it that much more and when it finally arrived I was a little hesitant to move my pm2 to the side. But as many others here have said I switched and never looked back. I am loving the military and my poor pm2 sits in the safe in its box, guess it wasn't my holy grail knife after all. The tip down was a little weird getting use to a first but now it just feels natural to draw and open.
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

I would choose the military. I've had two pm2s and ended up selling both. It's an amazing knife but there was just something about it that I didn't like. Didn't feel right in my hands. I absolutely love my cruwear military though. The knife seems huge but once you start using it it becomes one of the biggest little knives there is.. if that makes any sense lol.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

RanCoWeAla wrote:Neither I would much rather have a Caly 3.5
I agree, that or a Native 5! As for the two choices in this thread though, I EDC a PM2 typically more often since it's not so huge to scare the NKP's and the compression lock is a slicker and easier to operate one-handed than the Millie (especially as it keeps you fleshy parts out of the blade's way when closing!). Both are awesome though, think I have about 30 or so! :rolleyes:
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
ForrestChump

Post by ForrestChump »

Im gonna throw it out there.

Gayle Bradley. You have a BEAST of a folder with a low profile carbon fiber laminate, Taichung fit & finish is second to none. As far as I can tell nothing can touch it in that price range IMO. I loved my Sage 1, gone for a GB after a week.

Just a thought.....
The Official, Unofficial Gayle Bradley Picture Thread!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65859" target="_blank
R1Dave

Post by R1Dave »

Like I said, maybe get both. They sell easily if you ever need to. The compression lock is superior in my opinion. PM2 is sized better for EDC as well. I EDC several Spyderco blades and like them all. My Superleaf is one of the best and most under appreciated blades, love it. Sage 3 CF is a sweet little knife too.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Its already been said, but so much of this is simply personal preference, and you won't know until you have both. Then you find out which you leave behind and which you default to.
For me, the PM2 is the perfect knife. Not too small, not too large, not too thin, not too thick. Ergos work great for my hands and uses. Blade stock is plenty robust but the FFG and distal taper make it excellent for any cutting chores and the tip is great for piercing or delicate work. I actually prefer the tip on either the PM2 or Millie despite all the concerns about too delicate precisely because it is a narrow tip. Great for poking holes in things. The whole package is also very easy to pocket and carry, deploys smoothly and easily and strong lock-up.

Having said that, I also really like my Millies. I have 2 (S90V/G10 and S30V/Ti RIL). I sometimes prefer the longer cutting edge or simply longer blade. The lockup is fine and easier to release one-handed than compression (although that works too). I have small hands though and it is tougher to deploy via thumb operated hole because the motion is more extended. But it works.

Both carry well but obviously the PM2 is more compact. I'd take either without feeling underknived if I was in a hurry, but I'd definitely be more concerned about carrying the longer blade where I work.

bottom line -> ____ Both great knives. If you have large hands and appreciate longer blades, just get the Millie and don't look back! ;)
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Philo Beddoe wrote:
Haha you guys are brutal! And most importantly, you're both wrong! They're both great knives and I enjoy using them both. I appreciate everything they have to offer, and they're both beautiful in my eyes. :)

But to answer the OP, my vote goes to Military. Yeah it's got a big handle, but to me it's like plopping into a big soft leather loveseat, the kind you just sink into, when I wrap my mitts around the Military. There's so much room to move around there, yet you're still all nestled in. The big blade is always a welcome luxury for everything except Ladybug jobs, which is why one dangles conveniently from my key chain. Yeah, the PM2 has a (usually) easier to use lock and more compact shape, but it's not always an advantage or necessary. If I have to pick one it has to be the Military.

Thankfully this is America and I can have both. You should too!