Can the Techno be disassembled for cleaning?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Switchback

Can the Techno be disassembled for cleaning?

Post by Switchback »

I recently received a NIB Techno. Great knife! I'm absolutely thrilled with this little brute.

The knife is fine with no issues but I'm wondering, for future reference, if it can be disassembled for cleaning and lubing.

Thanks.
swigert

Re: Can the Techno be disassembled for cleaning?

Post by swigert »

yup, I haven't done mine but I know they make aftermarket backpackers so I know it comes completely apart. It is not a pinned construction.
Studey

Post by Studey »

Switchback

Post by Switchback »

Thanks. That's pretty much what I was thinking too. I guess I'm concerned about getting it put back together properly.

Thanks for the pic, Studey! Looks pretty straightforward.
Studey

Post by Studey »

No problem! If you can do it to a Sebenza, you can do it to this. Very easy.
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

The fact that you are concerned about putting it back together properly is a good sign that means you stand a very good chance of putting it back together properly. One bit of advice is to take lots of photos (or even a video) and notes as needed during disassembly. (Sorry if this is obvious.)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Arbitrary warning that taking apart a Spyderco will essentially strip its warranty. Not that it bothers many people, just wanted to point it out :).
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

Knutty wrote:The fact that you are concerned about putting it back together properly is a good sign that means you stand a very good chance of putting it back together properly. One bit of advice is to take lots of photos (or even a video) and notes as needed during disassembly. (Sorry if this is obvious.)
I think pretty much the opposite. If someone is concerned he might do something wrong with one of the easiest design to reassemble (except for slipjoint) it clearly shows he isn't experienced much and should take great care *IF* he decide to try and open it up. As Sal just stated on this other thread, most think they are skillful enough to do it, but most aren't. As Blerv just stated, if you mess up your knife they won't warranty it and I can't see why they would.

If you're not sure and think you could somehow mess your 15 pieces knife (if my count is good with the Techno, I don't have one to make sure) I'd seek advise before doing it. There's nothing mythical about this design but I won't be held responsible for pushing you into trying it ;)
If it's not polished, call it a saw, not an edge!
Switchback

Post by Switchback »

Thanks for the advice folks. I'm pretty sure I can handle the task. Then again, I once thought I would never get fat. :)

My Techno is pretty much brand new so I won't be taking it apart anytime soon. I'll have some time to decide whether or not to take the risk. I removed the pocket clip and I carry it at the bottom of my right front pocket so it's going to collect some lint eventually. Just thinking ahead here.

Thanks again to all for the advice.
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

Knutty wrote:
Switchback wrote:Thanks. That's pretty much what I was thinking too. I guess I'm concerned about getting it put back together properly.
The fact that you are concerned about putting it back together properly is a good sign that means you stand a very good chance of putting it back together properly. One bit of advice is to take lots of photos (or even a video) and notes as needed during disassembly. (Sorry if this is obvious.)
Indeed. Great tip, take photos at every stage of disassembly. The fit may not be as obvious on the way back together, and it's easy to just delete them when you're done.

Another tip from personal experience, don't disassemble anything when you're tired. ;)

Dan
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

Laethageal wrote:
Knutty wrote:The fact that you are concerned about putting it back together properly is a good sign that means you stand a very good chance of putting it back together properly.
I think pretty much the opposite. If someone is concerned he might do something wrong with one of the easiest design to reassemble (except for slipjoint) it clearly shows he isn't experienced much and should take great care *IF* he decide to try and open it up. As Sal just stated on this other thread, most think they are skillful enough to do it, but most aren't.
Exactly... Sal said most people are overconfident. The OP isn't; s/he is being cautious.

I guess it could go either way. :)
DansGunBlog wrote:Another tip from personal experience, don't disassemble anything when you're tired. ;)
*Or drunk.
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

Knutty wrote:
DansGunBlog wrote:Another tip from personal experience, don't disassemble anything when you're tired. ;)
*Or drunk.
Touché. Good rule of thumb, stay the **** away from knives, guns, etc. when in any way intoxicated. :)

Dan
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee
Switchback

Post by Switchback »

I took My Techno apart this morning. Cleaned and lubed it and put it back together. It didn't really need it but I couldn't resist the urge.

As some of you mentioned, it was a very simple process. Honestly, I don't know how it could have been any easier.

The process did give me a better understanding of the build quality of the knife. I was particularly impressed by the pivot screw adjustment when I got the knife put back together. As I tightened it I watched the blade move closer and closer to dead center. The resistance of the blade action hits its sweet spot right at dead center. Very nice.