New Farid K2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
78lilred

Re: New Farid K2

Post by 78lilred »

Laethageal wrote: Gotta say mine is not safe for one hand closing yet due to the size and sticky lock.
Mine just showed up from CS and has the sticky lock like everyone else, I've learned awhile ago to never preload the blade when unlocking. Left or right hand the lock is always fully disengaged before even putting pressure on the spine or spyder hole to start closing a blade.

Great pictures MacLaren, as you said this is a very amusing/fun knife. It is a high pressure handle depending on how you grip it due to the width of the scales and thickness.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Very nice pictures Mac, as always. I've had mine for two days now and I'm pleased with it but not ecstatic. The lock is a real bear to open on mine. I've tried to work it to be smoother and after a hundred openings or so, it's a little better but not much. I'm at nearly 95-100% on the lockup, hopefully that's not an issue as I've not had any RIL Spydies go fully over like that. Sits real nice and inconspicuous in the pocket despite its massive size, the clip is well executed to keep it low. This is definitely not a knife you want to be showing off in public, it would be sure to attract immediate (unwanted) attention. The CPM 10V slices like a dream too, as per all the good reports in Ankerson's thread (I didn't feel worthy to post there ;)). Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I hear ya man. After having mine for almost 24 hours now, I have had a couple instances where it did feel like the lock was a little sticky? But not when I first got it. It just took more pressure to open. * Actually fellas, the more I mess with it, I just really can't say my lock is sticky. Like I said before there was a couple maybe 2'@ most where I thought the lock was sticky, but honestly mine has been pretty nice.
It does take some pressure though.
It could very well be that Ankerson and myself got lucky, as most do say their lock feels sticky. As for lock up, mine is well over 50% but I think Jim said that wouldn't be a problem. Don't hold me to that, but I believe that's what he said.
78lilred

Post by 78lilred »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Very nice pictures Mac, as always. I've had mine for two days now and I'm pleased with it but not ecstatic. The lock is a real bear to open on mine. I've tried to work it to be smoother and after a hundred openings or so, it's a little better but not much. I'm at nearly 95-100% on the lockup, hopefully that's not an issue as I've not had any RIL Spydies go fully over like that. Sits real nice and inconspicuous in the pocket despite its massive size, the clip is well executed to keep it low. This is definitely not a knife you want to be showing off in public, it would be sure to attract immediate (unwanted) attention. The CPM 10V slices like a dream too, as per all the good reports in Ankerson's thread (I didn't feel worthy to post there ;)). Cheers, Radioactive :)
Glad to see I'm not the only one with late lock up, mine sits around 80-85, push in with moderate pressure and detent can touch the opposite slab. No slipping on the lock with negative spine pressure so its ok in that sense and will be used until the sticking is too much. Techno/Southard have never given a hint of sticking, nor has my Tuff.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Laethageal wrote:I'm no photograph, but gotta share this one so you guys don't do the same thing. I was practicing one hand closing:

You kind of look like a photograph. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

That photo is great marketing material for the promotion of finger choils
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Siren, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

That has only happened to me when playing with my knife. Knives are tools but we treat like them toys. For many purposes, a choil lessens the comfort and usefulness to me and would only be wanted in times I was in fact opening and closing it repeatedly.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Donut wrote:
Laethageal wrote:I'm no photograph, but gotta share this one so you guys don't do the same thing. I was practicing one hand closing:

You kind of look like a photograph. :)
:D
- best wishes, Jazz.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The more I use this knife the better I like it. The steel itself is just phenomenal and its a great slicer. Gonna have a lot of fun with this one :D
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

I guess they're grinding this one with Adamantium...
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

nirvanero wrote:I guess they're grinding this one with Adamantium...
It sure as heck seems so :D :eek:
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

So the product literature for this knife states that "...CPM 10V’s toughness and machining characteristics are comparable to D2 and M2..."

Does this indicate 10V is easier to work with than one would think? Any steel experts care to chime in?
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

senorsquare wrote:
So the product literature for this knife states that "...CPM 10V’s toughness and machining characteristics are comparable to D2 and M2..."

Does this indicate 10V is easier to work with than one would think? Any steel experts care to chime in?
That could explain, at least partially , the production price for this big baby.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

senorsquare wrote:

Actually that means it's a bear to work with.......
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Wolverine tough :)
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

Ankerson wrote:
senorsquare wrote:

This K2 it's already quite thin from what I've read, but if you ever reprofile your K2 please let us know how it worked.
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

MacLaren wrote:Wolverine tough :)
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

nirvanero wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
senorsquare wrote:

This K2 it's already quite thin from what I've read, but if you ever reprofile your K2 please let us know how it worked.
I plan on leaving mine as is. :)

No need to change it...
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

Ankerson wrote:
nirvanero wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
senorsquare wrote: So the product literature for this knife states that "...CPM 10V’s toughness and machining characteristics are comparable to D2 and M2..."

I plan on leaving mine as is. :)

No need to change it...
That sounds fine to me... :)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

nirvanero wrote:
MacLaren wrote:Wolverine tough :)
Awesome...... Hehehe.....that's right ;)