Comparable Brands

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Screwdriver

Re: Comparable Brands

Post by Screwdriver »

I carry Spydercos most of the time, but do carry a CS American Lawman, Kershaw Rake and composite Leek. The American Lawman is a tough knife and while only AUS-8A :rolleyes: is easy to sharpen and holds a daily edge. The Kershaw Rake, imho is a very under appreciated knife. D2 edge, built like a tank etc.
Trout Hound

Post by Trout Hound »

Ontario Knife and Tool makes some good fixed blades. Not quite as nice as ESEE, but still good knives.
A sharp knife is a pleasure to carry. Five or six sharp knives are an even greater pleasure.

Trout Hound
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Okay, how 'bout Kizer?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Strong-Dog wrote:I remember back when VG-10 was the best steel I had, and I considered it good. Now I consider it trash. Soon you'll see what I'm talking about. Just wait a few months
It's often the only option which leaves someone with the decision to buy a knife or not. It's certainly not trash as it strikes a balance of everything quite well. It's a still a super steel just like a car with 400 whp is "fast".

If you aren't performing a cutting demo on rope and cardboard any quality knife will perform terrific for EDC. That and if you do a couple white stone swipes every few days it won't give up anything to 110V.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Operator,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
araneae

Post by araneae »

Spyderco wins for me hands down in terms of materials design and performance per dollar. Kershaw has a lot of variety and some good designs, but recently I have had several less than pleasing experiences with their import line knives. They are probably the second most purchased knife to Spyderco for me. Cant bring myself to carry a benchmade, I just think they are overpriced for what you get and maybe a little too focused on appearance. Spyderco wins everytime for me.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

3rdGenRigger wrote:
Strong-Dog wrote:I remember back when VG-10 was the best steel I had, and I considered it good. Now I consider it trash. Soon you'll see what I'm talking about. Just wait a few months
I hear you...I like VG-10 and it's a good steel, but once you start playing with Aogami SuperBlue, CPM CruWear, M390, K390, CTS-XHP, CTS-204P, H1, ZDP-189, or even more comparable (But slightly better IMO) CPM-S30V/S35VN it becomes a whole new experience.
For blade material options Spyderco far outpaces any possible competion :D :D I delight in it constantly :) These are just four I've been playing with teasing the burr out on :eek: Also have vg-10, and H-1 to play with also :)

No other production knife company offers the breadth of options and materials like :spyder: The range of blade materials is unrivaled :eek:
Attachments
4 steels.jpg
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

I carry Spyderco 95% of the time and more than 1/2 of my knife collection is Spyderco. I do admit I like certain models from other brands, like the Mini grip 555HG, Cold steel voyagers, Case sodbusters and trappers, some Kershaw non assisted of course USA made, some SOG I really liked the SOGzilla zytel series, not crazy about CRKT, Buck, Gerber and other common Walmart brands. Victorinox has some good knives but for me they are mostly novelty in a way. Got some Boker arbolito and Boker plus they are ok nothing major. I do like to carry different knives different days like today I feel like I want to carry a Queen cutlery country cousin(sodbuster style) something more traditional. But at the end Spyderco takes most of my knife funds its the only mass production company that still acts like a smaller custom knife maker and I really like that.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

VG10 is trash? I am not going to entertain such an absurd statement with any more words than this. It is one of the most well rounded steels we have, it does everything fairly well and makes great EDC or kitchen steel. I'm carrying my inferior s30v and vg10 today, I hope I manage.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Just my "collection" of knives, and how they size up against one another and of course the Spydie's. Just recently got into Spyderco and loving my Manix2 cru-wear, and my Lava. Techno on it's way. I USE all of my knives, if one isn't up to the task, or isn't a good fit for me or what I need to use it for, I get rid of it. These are all in "rotation", My Spydie's and the Brous see the most use.
Attachments
spy3.jpg
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
VG10 is trash? I am not going to entertain such an absurd statement with any more words than this. It is one of the most well rounded steels we have, it does everything fairly well and makes great EDC or kitchen steel. I'm carrying my inferior s30v and vg10 today, I hope I manage.
Do you know how to read? I said I consider it trash. Do you want to argue about what I consider VG-10 to be? You may consider it great, I don't.

I disagree with you about VG-10. I know how to sharpen, and therefor K390, S125V, S110V, and M390 have served me much better than VG-10. My experiences, again nothing to argue about. These steels hold an edge MUCH longer than VG-10, among other things. Doing "everything fairly well and makes a great EDC or kitchen steel" is entirely subjective, which is fine, but I disagree. I mean, maybe in the same sense that 14C28N does as well, or AUS-8 does, but VG-10 is nothing special (again, my experience and opinion). Therefor, I consider VG-10 trash.
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Strong-Dog wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Do you know how to read? I said I consider it trash. Do you want to argue about what I consider VG-10 to be? You may consider it great, I don't.

I disagree with you about VG-10. I know how to sharpen, and therefor K390, S125V, S110V, and M390 have served me much better than VG-10. My experiences, again nothing to argue about. These steels hold an edge MUCH longer than VG-10, among other things. Doing "everything fairly well and makes a great EDC or kitchen steel" is entirely subjective, which is fine, but I disagree. I mean, maybe in the same sense that 14C28N does as well, or AUS-8 does, but VG-10 is nothing special (again, my experience and opinion). Therefor, I consider VG-10 trash.
I know it is your opinion....but my opinion is that you are silly.
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

"I know it is your opinion....but my opinion is that you are silly."

LOL. Well ok then.

Or I guess I could say, "Screw" you.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Strong-Dog wrote:Do you know how to read? ...
Strong-Dog wrote:...Or I guess I could say, "Screw" you.
Chill out. You can make your point and still be civil, even if you disagree. No need to be so rude. We're all here because we enjoy our Spyderco knives and want to share our experiences with other people that enjoy similar things, so there's no reason to freak out just because someone found your "trash" opinion absurd. :rolleyes:

I quite like VG-10. But then again, one man's trash is another man's treasure. If you have any spare Spyderco trash sitting around, I'll gladly dispose of it for you. ;)
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

jabba359 wrote:
Strong-Dog wrote:Do you know how to read? ...
Strong-Dog wrote:...Or I guess I could say, "Screw" you.
Chill out. You can make your point and still be civil, even if you disagree. No need to be so rude. We're all here because we enjoy our Spyderco knives and want to share our experiences with other people that enjoy similar things, so there's no reason to freak out just because someone found your "trash" opinion absurd. :rolleyes:

I quite like VG-10. But then again, one man's trash is another man's treasure. If you have any spare Spyderco trash sitting around, I'll gladly dispose of it for you. ;)
I don't, as I said VG-10 is nothing special and I've sold off my standard Endura
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Negativity is never productive, informative or appealing :eek: Relax Strong Dog, please??
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

dbcad wrote:Negativity is never productive, informative or appealing :eek: Relax Strong Dog, please??
I'd like a comprehensive review of why VG-10 is lacking or even "inferior" over any other steel. Best case it would be a sliding-scale of attributes from cost of manufacturing, toughness, wear resistance, and corrosion resistance. Likely it would just be a "It's garbage" post.

Nonetheless, I would be surprised to any reasoned review for why a $65 Endura in VG10 is less than an amazing knife by definition alone.
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

Alright, I'm cool now. Sorry if I offended anyone with my negativity, my overall goal here is not to do that so I apologize. I was a little incredulous that my view of VG-10 would offend people, and there is no way I will ever apologize for that.

Call me a steel snob, but I have long since graduated, if you will, from using VG-10. I now have access to steels like S125V, S110V, and K390, so excuse me for considering VG-10 trash. Again, just my viewpoint, doesn't have to be yours.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

There are a number of steel snobs at work at Spyderco and some who collaborate with them. Ed Schempp as of a couple years ago pinned VG10 as his favorite modern folder steel. Since the brand is rarely content with good enough this seems to hold up.

While in a certain format CPM-110v and similar steel of extremely high carbide content will outcut vg10 to the point of being dull (FAR past "hair splitting") that doesn't even somewhat represent the average user. People who frequently touch up their blades, sweat on them, and have a range of use from light to abusive where normalized properties shine.

Your stance wasn't under debate, the lack of explanation regarding the word "trash" was. Because in the corrosion resistance, toughness, cost, edge stability at snob edge levels, and ease of sharpening at moderate angles is being weighed into the mix most of those are inferior to a vanilla wallflower like VG10.
Last edited by Blerv on Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Strong-Dog wrote:Call me a steel snob, but I have long since graduated, if you will, from using VG-10. I now have access to steels like S125V, S110V, and K390, so excuse me for considering VG-10 trash. Again, just my viewpoint, doesn't have to be yours.
I too consider myself a steel snob, however I always try to exercise restraint when voicing criticism of steels, designs, materials, anything. I agree with you 100% that the newer steels leave VG-10 in the dust... however this is mostly in the realm of edge retention. When it comes to steel (as well as many, many other aspects of life), balance can be the key to happiness. The most wear resistant steel is not always the superior steel. I for one love the continuous wave of newer and more carefully constructed steels however I can't say that my new infatuations cause me to hate my old loves. Before Spyderco, I had a loathe for AUS-8, however since using some examples of the SE models in this steel from our favorite company, my opinion has drastically changed.

Bottom line is, approach can be your best weapon or your greatest pitfall. VG-10 does lack many of the great performance advantages we enjoy from the more modern super steels, however using abrasive verbiage like "TRASH" seems like it is only structured to create conflict amongst the community.

I for one would appreciate a more tactful approach when addressing something you have a reasonable argument about. We all acknowledge that the evolution of the industry represents a huge leap forward in the technology, however I can see no educated reason to ignore the benefits of materials used in the past.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*