Spyderco/Farid K2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
san-mai-usa

Re: Spyderco/Farid K2

Post by san-mai-usa »

Brock O Lee wrote:Found this pic on Bladeforums, posted by Gooeytek, in a thread called "Your-Biggest-Folder". If the production K2 is the same size as this one, its slightly longer than the Military.

The CPM-121 shown is the same dimensions as the production model shown in the press release.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

what is the handle material on this version?
san-mai-usa

Post by san-mai-usa »

Johnnie1801 wrote:what is the handle material on this version?
On the K2 CPM-121 rex?
Titanium, as farads other K2's.
Shown here for scale with a Spyderco UKPK.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

sal wrote:Assuming we all agree that there is no best best steel for blades (though we still look for one), it becomes what will be the best steel for my most important application, then my second most important application, etc.

If we only used scientific method to design, then all designs for a particular application would all look the same. So much for variety and diversification.

Then we add "looks", "feel", "spirit", personal preferences, ect. "I like it" is a perfectly good answer. "I like it because" is better even if there is disagreement, but not necessary. Disagreement is often how we learn. In the end, we can always agree to disagree.

In a family, there is always at least one family member that has habits other may not like. "The success of any relationship is totally dependent on the bad habits one is willing to tolerate!" "she's always late", I can live with. "He beats me" is less tolerable.

Cliff, Farid, Jim, Phil, Ed, even sal all have their way or style. Enjoy the good.

sal
Sal,

How true. :)

Personally I think CPM 10V is going to be hard to beat and Farid said it's in the 63 range and with good geometry so it should be a great performer.

The only thing that would even come close to it from the Spyderco line would be the Manix 2 LW in CPM S110V as it's in the 62+ range as far as edge retention goes.

So if someone is looking for a folder that will really hold an edge for a very long time and with the other attributes that the K2 offers I don't think they can lose here.

A11 (CPM 10V) has massive edge retention possibilities and it's not chippy so it can do some real work if needed based on my own testing of various A11 steels and different geometries.

A11 is no joke as it is a tool steel.

I have another fixed blade coming soon in CPM 10V that will be in the 64-65 range with very thin geometry in the .005" range behind the edge that I will be testing....

Jim
paladin

Post by paladin »

Ankerson wrote: I have another fixed blade coming soon in CPM 10V that will be in the 64-65 range with very thin geometry in the .005" range behind the edge that I will be testing....

Jim
No cardboard box is safe when Jim is in test mode... AND he has 10V...ahh the humanity!!! :eek:
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

paladin wrote:
Ankerson wrote: I have another fixed blade coming soon in CPM 10V that will be in the 64-65 range with very thin geometry in the .005" range behind the edge that I will be testing....

Jim
No cardboard box is safe when Jim is in test mode... AND he has 10V...ahh the humanity!!! :eek:
Yeah. LOL

Well we will see how it goes once it gets here, will see how it fares compared to my K294 blade at 64.....
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Jim, I've noticed the possibilities of 10V being prone to rust brought up a few times so my question is this: between 10V and M4 which one do you think would be more prone to rust? Or IYO would they be about equal?

I ask because I have a Tan Manix with the M4 blade and its not bad to take care of..Ive used it too clean out clogged up gutters, water filled ditches, cut citrus fruit etc. I just wipe it down after use. It has a fair amount of patina but no rust spots.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Philo Beddoe wrote:Jim, I've noticed the possibilities of 10V being prone to rust brought up a few times so my question is this: between 10V and M4 which one do you think would be more prone to rust? Or IYO would they be about equal?

I ask because I have a Tan Manix with the M4 blade and its not bad to take care of..Ive used it too clean out clogged up gutters, water filled ditches, cut citrus fruit etc. I just wipe it down after use. It has a fair amount of patina but no rust spots.

Haven't seen any rust issues with A11 at all.... Including in the kitchen....

As far as M4 goes I don't use it so I can't say...
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

So the blade will not be something suited to stabbing correct?

Before there is any confusion let me state for the record I am buying one ASAP and love the knife.

Just being a Soldier in Afghanistan at the moment, any knife I carry I would like to be able to use as a get out of Taliban free card. In the very unlikely chance it is needed. With the K2's 4.5 inch blade it is something that would have filled this role well.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Unless that Taliban in your area are made out of car doors, it should work just fine.
san-mai-usa

Post by san-mai-usa »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:So the blade will not be something suited to stabbing correct?

Before there is any confusion let me state for the record I am buying one ASAP and love the knife.

Just being a Soldier in Afghanistan at the moment, any knife I carry I would like to be able to use as a get out of Taliban free card. In the very unlikely chance it is needed. With the K2's 4.5 inch blade it is something that would have filled this role well.
Stabbing is very over rated to be honest, less chance of hitting a vital organ on a struggling target. :D
Holland

Post by Holland »

Ankerson wrote:
paladin wrote:

Jim
Yeah. LOL

Well we will see how it goes once it gets here, will see how it fares compared to my K294 blade at 64.....
Hi Jim, mind if I ask who you buy these knives from? They sound amazing :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Holland wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
paladin wrote:

Jim
Yeah. LOL

Hi Jim, mind if I ask who you buy these knives from? They sound amazing :D
Well the next one will be from Darrin Sanders. :)
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Ankerson wrote:
paladin wrote:

Jim
Yeah. LOL

Is K294 Bohlers version of 10V?
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

tvenuto wrote:Unless that Taliban in your area are made out of car doors, it should work just fine.
LOL, car doors.

Anyhow back on topic, is it out yet?
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
faridknives

Post by faridknives »

I decided to take the K2 to Gary’s (fluffy) who is a dear friend and also my osteopath and test it in the garden, I did the best I can considering I cannot stand for long after my surgery on my leg.
My friend Gary has in his collection an S-90v custom version and we thought we leave it on the table for comparison reasons.

Cutting natural fibre rope.

After the around 5 runs cutting rope, still slices paper and we cut the corner of a 1” thick book and sliced through the whole thickness two times.

Then a thick book.

Then other thick book.

Then a thick cut on the spine of the book (spine glued together).

Start to cut a thick knitted ballistic Kevlar.

After the sheet of ballistic Kevlar the edge was tested to see if it would still cut a thick magazine. It achieved this easily.

Edge was further tested to cut a thick magazine from the spine (glued spine), we cut several magazines from the spine in the same fashion.

Edge was further tested to see if it would still slice paper, no problem.

The blade was then tested to see if it would still shave hair, no problem.

Picture shows Gary holding a ¼” wall thickness hard cardboard tubing, we were going to slice this in to two pieces vertically, (two cuts) .

After these two vertical cuts through the thick cardboard tube the edge was further tested, watch to see how the CPM-10v cuts through the cardboard with ease, several clean cuts.

After that test we tested the edge to see how it would slice the edge of the hard cardboard tube, a little wear on the edge but watch to see how clean it still cut the tube on the edge.

After all this cutting it is fair to say it would not shave hair, it would shave a little with some pressure, The edge still felt like it can do lots of cutting.

The product speaks for itself.

Thanks for watching.
Farid Mehr
Knife maker

End of my test.
Last edited by faridknives on Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Farid,

Kudos to you on your craftsmanship, passion, dedication and testing.

As you said, K2 speaks for itself!

Nicely done.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Mike157

Post by Mike157 »

Great testing and photos Farid. Thank you. Now, even more importantly, when can I get my hands on one? :D Mike
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Looks great! Thank you for going ahead with testing despite your recovery, and thanks to your friend. Indeed, the knife does speak for itself.
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

Great job Farid. Thanks for taking time to test it so soon after your surgery.

From what I saw of your test, chipping doesn't seem to be a problem. Awesome knife!