dragonfly 1 lockback defect?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
suedeface

dragonfly 1 lockback defect?

Post by suedeface »

The other day I found one of my old Spydercos. It is a dragonfly 1 with aus-8 steel, boye dent, and etched spyderco logo on the blade (one of the more recent aus-8 models before they switched to VG-10). It has hardly been used. It is dull w/ minor tip scratches, but still has the factory edge intact. I noticed that the lockbar has a small gap underneath it where it meets the lockbar cutout in the handle. I THINK that either the lockbar itself was ground a touch too narrow at the end, or that the lock well on the blade tang was ground slightly deeper than normal, allowing the end of the lockbar to protrude slightly, causing the gap. I tend to think it was the latter as this particular dragonfly had the most solid lockup of any other spyderco(or any other lockback knife) I have had in recent years. I have seen this on mainly cheap CHINA lockbaks, but never on a spyderco. So, my question is: have you ever seen this on a lockback knife, and would this be considered a defect? The knife works great, but i'm just concerned that this may be an issue down the road.
Donut

Re: dragonfly 1 lockback defect?

Post by Donut »

I'm not completely understanding your description of what you are seeing. Is the gap causing play?

I think typically lock backs don't sit ALL the way into the lock cutout. Lock backs, even Spyderco's, are known for developing play after getting some use on them. The lock back has some pretty high tolerances and as things settle in, they get some play.

If you send it to warranty, they will deem it either safe or unsafe. I don't think they tweak lock backs, so if it is decided that it is unsafe, you will probably get a new dragonfly or store credit for the value of a Dragonfly.

You say it is dull and still has the factory edge. Did it come from the factory with a bad edge?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
suedeface

Re: dragonfly 1 lockback defect?

Post by suedeface »

Donut, I think the lockbar sits a bit farther down into the lock cutout on the tang of the blade causing the release end (w/boye dent in this case) to raise up a bit more causing a gap below itself and the release cutout on the handle. It locks up better than most of my other lockbacks with zero play.
As far as the edge, it has been used and has got fairly dull, but I still have not had to reprofile the edge yet, just touch ups. Hopefully that explains things a bit better.