Thread for random Spyderco thoughts, ideas, stories or questions you're afraid to ask

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

Seems as a good a place as any for this question: Is the S110V Manix a sprint? I didn't see it on the list and stupidly didn't buy one a few months ago.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

jackthedog wrote:Seems as a good a place as any for this question: Is the S110V Manix a sprint? I didn't see it on the list and stupidly didn't buy one a few months ago.
It is regular production AFAIK. They may be harder to find that say a delica or endura, butg I believe they are still out there.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

twinboysdad wrote:Are serrations dying in Spydieland? Are serrated sprints already dead?
I hope to GOD not!!! Because in a way Spyderco's specialized serrations ( the Spyderedge) is sort of what put them on the map to begin with. Spyderco also proved that not all serrations are created equal and that the ones that they marketed were above and beyond most of the serrations brought about by other companies.

To me Spyderco literally has a "Place On The Corner" when it comes to serious serrated cutlery. I couldn't even begin to tell you where else to go if you were in the market for a high quality, seriously serrated cutting tool other than Spyderco. They took it to a higher level and a much more ridgid standard IMO.

I think it's high time that Spyderco deeply consider having Sprints of some of their great models that people wanted in SE but at the time were not available. Some of the models I speak of are both the Breeden models i.e. the C-111 Captain and the Breeden Rescue both could benefit greatly with a Spyderedge. I also think that a Sprint of the C-36 Military model in full SE would be super as well.

The Superhawk in my opinion would have been a screaming success had it been offered up in Spyderedge>> because let's face it most Hawkbills really do much better with a Spyderedge. The Superhawk is no exception. The Dodo needs to be brought back in full SE. I also think one of the recurve models needs to be offered up in full SE like the Spyker, ADventura or even the KRIS for that matter.

YES!! Spyderco needs to take a serious look at Sprints of models people want to see in SE, Spyderedge!!
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

xceptnl wrote:Roman, you campaign for the Native like JD campaigns for the Hawkbills. ;)
Interesting comment :eek: For some reason I never thought that way, but most likely you are correct.
OK, navy blue Native5 with 204P. Are you in? (plus one serrated for Joe :) )
Also, if Joe would buy Native5 PE, I will buy Tasman SE. :D
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

bh49 wrote:OK, navy blue Native5 with 204P. Are you in? (plus one serrated for Joe :) )
Sounds interesting, but while we're dreaming, how about CPM Rex 121 for the steel? That or S125VN.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

bh49 wrote:Interesting comment :eek: For some reason I never thought that way, but most likely you are correct.
OK, navy blue Native5 with 204P. Are you in? (plus one serrated for Joe :) )
Also, if Joe would buy Native5 PE, I will buy Tasman SE. :D
Navy Blue Native 5 with 204P (or any one of a dozen other great Carpenter steels) and possibly an SE version as well.... alright I'm in. I have been wanting to get a few regrinds done and a high hollow on that platform would be awesome!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Question I've been afraid to ask (because people would tell me to una$$ my chair, go out and do some cutting to find out):

It's pretty obvious that Spyderedges can cut rope, thick fabric, car tires, and such better than a plain edge, but if you EDC only a Spyderegde, what types of cutting are going to be seriously handicapped?
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

DougC-3 wrote:Question I've been afraid to ask (because people would tell me to una$$ my chair, go out and do some cutting to find out):

It's pretty obvious that Spyderedges can cut rope, thick fabric, car tires, and such better than a plain edge, but if you EDC only a Spyderegde, what types of cutting are going to be seriously handicapped?
Slicing things such as fruit/vegetables, and carving wood.
JD Spydo

AMBASSADOR For The Inwardly Bent Blades & SE NATIVE

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:Roman, you campaign for the Native like JD campaigns for the Hawkbills. ;)
Hey dude I do my fair share of campaigning for the Native and other conventional models :D I would dearly welcome a full Spyderedged Native. That's why I hold on to my Golden CO USA Earth, full SE model with 440V blade steel and use it exclusively for extremely roughhouse cutting jobs.

And as far as being an ambassador for the Mighty Spyder Hawkbills>>OK I plead guilty!! :D But they need an ambassador and a spokesperson. The Poor neglected, overlooked, underappreciated inwardly curved blades with super teeth need no introduction but rather should be test driven by every Spyder fanatic.

There truly does need to be a video showing Spyderco's Hawkbills in action>>as well as a comprehensive, instructional video for all of their great sharpening equipment.>> I REST MY CASE
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
WorkingEdge

Post by WorkingEdge »

DougC-3 wrote:Before the Cru Manix went on sale, I opened up a series of twelve tabs, each with a different dealer who was going to carry it, arranged in order of ascending prices with lowest on the left. Before going to bed, I just hibernated the laptop, then opened it up with all tabs ready the next morning. :eek:
that's sick and quite ingenious at the same time! wouldn't work for me though, my Apple product only allows 8 tabs open at the same time : )
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

WorkingEdge wrote:wouldn't work for me though, my Apple product only allows 8 tabs open at the same time : )
You need to upgrade. I have 21 tabs open on Safari on my iPhone right now. Does the Chrome app allow more?
:bug-red-white
v8r

Post by v8r »

chuckd wrote:Yup! My target gun is at about 15lbs...she is a heavy girl! I am always sure to bring a pair of good range spydercos too. The Vallatton loves the range!
Luckily mine is under 12. It probably isn't what you would call a traditional "target" gun it has a #2 barrel contour. I put it together with a Howa barreled action in .308. I did a trigger job on it myself and have the trigger adjusted down to a hair under 3 pounds (all touching surfaces in trigger assembly are mirror polished). I glass bedded the barreled action in a Boyds laminated stock as well. It will shoot 1 inch groups or under with pretty much any of the factory ammunition I have tried in it. The only factory load that didn't shoot as great was the Federal Premium Match 168SMK. It shot a 1 1/8 group. The best so far has been the federal Blue box 150 grain at .625 inch at 100yards, 1.250 at 200, and 2.875 at 300.
I also had Mark at Short Action Customs turn the bolt knob to accept a Tactical bolt knob. (He and his team do excellent work).

I like the rifle so much that I am building another in .223. It will be exactly the same in specs other than caliber and colors.
Its going in a Boyds Laminate stock in Lime green and black!

Sorry to get off topic everyone.
Maybe I need to start a "show your rifle" thread in the off topic discussion.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
klug932000

Post by klug932000 »

v8r wrote:Luckily mine is under 12. It probably isn't what you would call a traditional "target" gun it has a #2 barrel contour. I put it together with a Howa barreled action in .308. I did a trigger job on it myself and have the trigger adjusted down to a hair under 3 pounds (all touching surfaces in trigger assembly are mirror polished). I glass bedded the barreled action in a Boyds laminated stock as well. It will shoot 1 inch groups or under with pretty much any of the factory ammunition I have tried in it. The only factory load that didn't shoot as great was the Federal Premium Match 168SMK. It shot a 1 1/8 group. The best so far has been the federal Blue box 150 grain at .625 inch at 100yards, 1.250 at 200, and 2.875 at 300.
I also had Mark at Short Action Customs turn the bolt knob to accept a Tactical bolt knob. (He and his team do excellent work).

I like the rifle so much that I am building another in .223. It will be exactly the same in specs other than caliber and colors.
Its going in a Boyds Laminate stock in Lime green and black!

Sorry to get off topic everyone.
Maybe I need to start a "show your rifle" thread in the off topic discussion.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... post962603
some of my work (nothing for sale on there) Facebook.com/454products
Donut

Post by Donut »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:There used to be a time when it was easy for us to get a Permit to Carry(your CCW equivalent) but cost us something like $200 a year. I would just make believe that I was a smoker and dropped the equivalent of the cost of a pack or two of cigarettes into a jar each day. I'd manage to accumulate enough by the time my current one expired.
Man, I hear cigarettes are getting around $10 a pack around here.

To the OP, I usually end up liking the ones that I didn't want to try and that I avoid buying... the most.

My question would be... Why not try to push the envelope a little more on making the strongest knives you can as light as possible. Some more solid G-10 handles with care as to what parts will wear out... would make nice carry blades.

Also, where are my nice UKPK's?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

You bring up a good point there, Brian. What about using a single locking liner on a G-10 frame? (similar to the concept of the original C19 and C15, but in G-10).
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Studey

Post by Studey »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:If I may?
Demand needs to pay for the trainers, and I doubt that enough trainers are sold to justify the expense...

BTW, a Civilian trainer on its own would be lethal enough in its own right...
zhyla wrote:Yes, or another way to put it: the trainers for those would cost more than the real thing, so you're better off buying a spare and grinding it down.
JD Spydo wrote:I tend to agree with you GOLDENSPYDIE because I've thought about the same thing on a couple of occasions. They even had a Trainer version of my dearly beloved Temperance 1 model which I thought was interesting from the standpoint that I always thought that the Temperance 1 model was marketed more as an outdoor fixed blade rather than a tactical blade. Although I'm sure that the Temp 1 could be used as a SD knife or a tactical/martial arts blade.

I've also thought it sort of interesting that they made trainers for the Delica and Endura>> because to me the Delica and Endura both were everyday user blades. To me I thought that the Ayoob model should have had a trainer>> because that knife has a lot of tactical and Self defense potential. Also I think that the Warrior model needs a trainer.
That's why you make your own!

chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Well, you can't practice deploying from a closed to open position on a fixed trainer.
Studey

Post by Studey »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Well, you can't practice deploying from a closed to open position on a fixed trainer.
Nope, you need a steel drone to practice deployment with a folder. However, for extended practice, or drills, or teaching new students who have less control, or for harder training, these work great. I use folding training knives as well, but it's nice to have something that matches what you carry. Gives you a good feel for how a particular knife or handle design does with impact.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I know, we've made a few from different materials. ;)

We preferred rubber because you can hit with force. :)
Studey

Post by Studey »

These are made from polymer and hit with a lot less force than the commercially available rubber knives I've had.

In any case, it's nice to be able to have a trainer for my Spydies.