Why Bento Box Shop?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ken44

Post by Ken44 »

Making people buy a model they can't move, and few want, to get the Para is unfreakinbelievable.
Spyderco should not be associated with a company like this(IMO).
They go against every principle Spyderco stands for.
I hope Sal will give them a look.

edit- I did send BBS an email early today asking why we were being forced to buy a combo if we want the Para 2.
I don't think I'll hear back from them, and don't really want to anyway.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Elmax is an inexpensive steel, in the S30V range. Part of my problem is that I have no use for the other knife. If it were a popular model, I'd be more inclined to go for the combo.

If BBS didn't do the exclusive run, I'm sure another authorized retailer would have, but this was commissioned years ago, I wasn't following then but perhaps BBS' pricing antics weren't known then?

This is wrong because it is disrespectful to your customers. You can't sell a product so you force it on people who want one you know will sell, at full price nonetheless. If it were for most any other Spyderco I would probably purchase it. Can never have too many Delicas, Enduras, Dragonflys, etc
springnr

Post by springnr »

Oh grasshopper
more PM2 than pockets
bulging safe
Bento Box shine light on path
much karma
Spyder-fan

Post by Spyder-fan »

:) They've only sold a handful.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Midst all of the angst, please remember Sal's post about Shiny Footprints. While he primarily was talking about comments towards other knife companies, I'm sure it would apply here as well.

He also mentioned that this deal was years in the making.

I'm sure there will be plenty more impressive new models we can spend money on, no need to get so worked up about passing on this knife if you choose to.

I have quite a few PM2's already myself, but none in CF yet. Now a CF/K390 PM2 would be *mighty* difficult to pass up.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

it is crappy business, but it could be the thing to get you to have a LM and then you might fall in love with it too I remember when the Ulize was announced as the gift for the calendar winners and some were not thrilled. All fell in love and made comments about it being a knife they would have shied away fom if it had not been their prize. Same might happen for the LM since this one is PE. Maybe I am just trying to find the silver lining, I definitely will not be buying this bundle
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

I'm going to pass on the bundle as well.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

BBS has the right to charge as they wish, and I have the right not to buy. Really nothing to be upset or angry about. There will always be knives we would like to have..........and won't. Thankful just for the day. TGIF
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Like many here, I believe that the best action is to vote with your wallet. HOWEVER, I also believe that a forum like this one is a good place for Spyderco to hear what people think. BBS has obviously irritated people with this exclusive, and I think Spyderco cares about this. Not buying doesn't tell Spyderco that you're irritated, so posting about it is not unreasonable.

I'm not interested in this particular exclusive one way or the other, but if I were, the way it was released would piss me off too.
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

I passed on the blue Military and I won't buy this one either even if it will be the first PM2 Sprint Run that I miss. Elmax is a good steel but not as good as M390 and I still remember the day I bought this blue PM2 at a reasonable price with no other knife "bundled".

It's a shame that Spyderco is involved in this "B.B.S." as it's a fact that this doesn't do them any good despite all the excuses one can make.

Hopefully many exciting knives selling in a respectable way will follow so we can forget about all of this... "B.B.S."
Donut

Post by Donut »

I was trying to think of a good nickname to call them. I think I just came up with it. Bento BS.

They come up with all this Bento BS.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

The Bento Bungle.

The double B,S
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Donut wrote:I was trying to think of a good nickname to call them. I think I just came up with it. Bento BS.

They come up with all this Bento BS.
Whats the BS stand for? :D
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

Not little, not cow, not piss...
Fancier

Post by Fancier »

Tdog wrote:BBS has the right to charge as they wish, and I have the right not to buy. Really nothing to be upset or angry about. There will always be knives we would like to have..........and won't. Thankful just for the day. TGIF
Isn't that the truth! I'd have to open a spreadsheet to calculate how much I'd have to spend to get every knife I want, but if I could, I'd just want more anyway.
v8r

Post by v8r »

As much as I agree with everything posted here, it is a free country still. If the business in question paid for the knives in full prior to the production run, then we really have no say over price other than choosing to not purchase.
I guess I'm just not as much of a steel junky as others here and more of a design junky. The only appealing thing about this run is the scale color for me. I would be really stoked to have a D2 blade steel with foliage green scales like the the PM1 I used to have. That was a great knife that I kick myself for selling. The PM2 can be oriented for tip up carry which was the only gripe I had over the older model. If Spyderco did a sprint as I mentioned that would be truly awesome.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
Nate

Post by Nate »

One thing I have learned from Cliff Stamp is that it is very important to share any criticisms you have of a knife/person/business etc... with the party responsible, so that they are aware of it and have a chance to respond. Here is my attempt to "walk the talk" while doing so in a manner consistent with Sal's Shiny Footprints:

"Dear proprietors of Bento Box Shop,

I have not yet made any purchases from your shop, but I appreciate the interesting exclusives you have commissioned and like that customers can go there to find rare and discontinued models for sale that are sold out virtually everywhere else. I was able to send at least some business your way when the super blue Caly 3 went on sale a couple of months ago.

That said, I want to let you know that the reputation of Bento Box Shop on the Spyderco forum and sub-forum on Bladeforums.com is very negative. I fear that your pricing strategies and other policies are actively driving customers away. I am writing in case you were not aware of the many active threads where your customers are expressing their dissatisfaction. Whether or not you choose to react/respond is of course at your sole discretion.

Specifically, most internet retailers offer Spyderco products, even sprints, at a 30-40% discount to msrp. This puts you at a competative disadvantage on cost. Most retailers offer free shipping on purchases over $75-$100 and do not charge extra for insurance. Again, you are at a disadvantage on S&H policies. Most retailers will accept returns. Yet again, Bento Box Shop is at a disadvantage on Customer Service.

The recent release of the Elmax Paramilitary being force bundled with the Matriarch was immediately met with widespread condemnation on the forums, with many expressing that this was the "last straw" and that they would never again make a a purchase from you. While I am sure you will find a fair amount of buyers for the package and the strategy will help move some inventory, the tactic does not appear likely to help you build loyal or repeat customers.

In my opinion, you will receive a short term gain and a long term loss as a result of this bundle. My unsolicited advice is to read the forums and listen to your customers. You may want to consider how lowering your margin on individual sales will benefit the shop in terms of volume and repeat business. Personally, I would have purchased the blue Military if it was approx 20% lower in price. Similarly, I would be much more interested in the Martriarch at roughly $70-$75. The Elmax Para is a pass for me at $199, even before the "bundle." I know that prices for sprints/exclusives often soar on the secondary markets, but this is due to scarcity and these prices represent only a small number transactions compared to the volume initially sold by dealers.

Respectfully and with much hope for your continued success,

Nate
:spyder:
Prospero

Post by Prospero »

Great job, Nate. Well-written and to the point. :spyder:
Blade and Flame

Post by Blade and Flame »

Well said, Nate. Kudos.
sok

Post by sok »

I look at their polcies, their prices and the individual knife that they are selling, that I am interested in, and then decide if I want to buy that particular knife. I have chose to only buy one knife from them. That was the blue Military with S90V and I have no regrets.

I don't dwell on the knives that I have decided not to buy from them.