Military CQI

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nccole

Military CQI

Post by nccole »

CQI is one of the great things I like about Spyderco. I know that the Military 2 has been discussed many times before. I am strictly talking tweaks to the current version. I have seen some pictures of older Military's and noticed some tweaks from jimping style to clips to a different pivot in the blue S90V version. I know we won't get a four way clip on the current Military most likely, but I think/hope some other things could be tweaked in the meantime. I think you could add threaded inserts like the Caly Jr.'s. Not sure if that design worked or not, but I have put threaded press and spread inserts into my Military's G10 for a tip up conversion. I would say an upgrade in screws (not the pivot screw) would be a nice easyish fix. The small T6 screws could easily be replaced with some nice T8 screws. I did that for mine (also converted to standoff construction, but don't see that as necessary) and really wish it would have come that way. It is not the thread integrity I think is lacking, but I have stripped some T6 screw heads and even had the head of a T6 screw separate itself from the threaded portion all together. I would love to see T8 as the smallest screw used in any knife application. The other big thing I think they could easily fix is put the same size laynard tube as the PM2 in the Military. I am not too much of a laynard guy, but that little hole is hardly useful. I actually took the laynard tube out of mine, then put it back in because it is structural. I should have realized that before I spent the time to get the flared tube out, but oh well.

Both would require some changes to the G10 CNC program, but could easily be accomplished. Also, I would assume they have a decent supply of the tubes, so they might have to run those out and then switch to the PM2 tube (at least that diameter). The backspacer would need to be tapped for a larger thread possibly, 2-56 to 4-40. Maybe not, there are 2-56/T8 screws out there. Seems no more difficult/costly than some of the other CQI tweaks they have made over the years. The Military 2 does not seem to be coming in the near future so it should be worth it.

What do you guys think?
Fancier

Post by Fancier »

Progressive improvements to the Military make sense since the knife is going to stay in production even after the Military 2 comes out. I haven't had any problems with the construction or fasteners on the model but I haven't seen a need to take the knife apart. I suppose if I was interested in customizing a production knife then these issues might be more important to me.
My suggestion is that if they decide to drill a bunch of additional holes in the scales that they source an epoxy filler that matches the scale color so we can fill up the ones that we don't need. I'm not likely to change the clip position on a knife once I've become accustomed to it.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I am in no hurry to see the Military 2, but I agree that both the T8 and lanyard tube upgrade could be terrific improvements on an already refined and streamlined folding knife platform.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Fancier wrote:... I'm not likely to change the clip position on a knife once I've become accustomed to it.
I have already become accustomed to the tip down, I have no personal desire to change that even if the option is there. I also know I am probably in the minority on this.
*Landon*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd support larger screws but this is one model I don't mind being tip down only, along with the Police and Ulize (though it does have 4 way option). They're just too long for tip up IMO. I wouldn't mind sacrificing some of the handle to make the choil wider but I wouldn't sacrifice edge length to do it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
paladin

Post by paladin »

I would like to see those "upgrades" also nccole...

I also completely agree with David that tip down is the way to carry the Military...

Beefier fastners & pivot may make the knife more durable, OTHO, I've never broken or wore out a Military...
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I developed some lock rock on mine after some hard hard work. I wouldn't mind seeing a thicker lock bar if that would prevent that. I know the Military 2 will likely have full nested skeletonized liners but I wish it would stay with minimal liners. I'd hate to see it gain any weight.
~David
nccole

Post by nccole »

Evil D wrote:I developed some lock rock on mine after some hard hard work. I wouldn't mind seeing a thicker lock bar if that would prevent that. I know the Military 2 will likely have full nested skeletonized liners but I wish it would stay with minimal liners. I'd hate to see it gain any weight.
I also want it to stay light. I would rather keep partial liners and mod any new Military with a tip up carry for myself. I don't know if you could get a thicker lockbar without changing the overall thickness of the knife. You would have to mill even more of the G10 to hold the thicker liner, but that is probably not advisable, or make the knife thicker overall. I would be curious if your lock rock is a result more of a thinner lockbar or a too wimpy stop pin. I would guess if you were doing more of a chopping motion, the stop pin would be more to blame. I don't chop with pocket knives much, but the Military would be one I might be tempted to due to its length.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

nccole wrote:I also want it to stay light. I would rather keep partial liners and mod any new Military with a tip up carry for myself. I don't know if you could get a thicker lockbar without changing the overall thickness of the knife. You would have to mill even more of the G10 to hold the thicker liner, but that is probably not advisable, or make the knife thicker overall. I would be curious if your lock rock is a result more of a thinner lockbar or a too wimpy stop pin. I would guess if you were doing more of a chopping motion, the stop pin would be more to blame. I don't chop with pocket knives much, but the Military would be one I might be tempted to due to its length.
No chopping just very hard carving. I was cutting down saplings using a deep whittling kind of method and some kd them took several deep cuts around the branch to get through them. Lock rock may be the wrong description, basically the lock bar would move around on the tang especially when you made hard cuts. It would slide as if it were sliding back off the tang.
~David
Invective

Post by Invective »

Evil D wrote:No chopping just very hard carving. I was cutting down saplings using a deep whittling kind of method and some kd them took several deep cuts around the branch to get through them. Lock rock may be the wrong description, basically the lock bar would move around on the tang especially when you made hard cuts. It would slide as if it were sliding back off the tang.
That happened to one of mine after some hard use cutting weeds and stuff. Turned out to just be plant juices that got onto the lockbar and tang and the play stopped after a good cleaning.
Fancier

Post by Fancier »

Evil, did the lockbar position change on your Military when the lock operation changed?
MatthewSB

Post by MatthewSB »

xceptnl wrote:I have already become accustomed to the tip down, I have no personal desire to change that even if the option is there. I also know I am probably in the minority on this.
Same here.

I'm not sure why people get so hung up on one or the other. My Military is used tip down only because that's the only option. I will not carry my Para2 tip down, because it looks stupid because the screw holes are so close to the top of the handle and the edge of the top of the clip almost hangs over the G10, so I carry it tip up without complaint.

The only reason I can see to be so adamant about tip up or tip down is if you've ever put your hand into a pocket where the tip up worn blade has opened up. Tip down carry makes so much more sense afterwards ;)
Ned

Post by Ned »

Seems that I have read in other threads about lock problems with the liner locking Military similar to what David has mentioned. My only experience with the Military is the Titanium frame lock; in my experience, it is absolutely solid. I have done the same kind of cutting that you mentioned D, I have even chopped, hacked off limbs (small trees people, just plants :D ) just all around used it hard and it is still rock solid. I would personally love to see the changes already mentioned and perhaps a return of the G-10, CF, scale and titanium frame lock (CPM-M4 blade would be nice) would be the ultimate expression of the Millie.
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

xceptnl wrote:I have already become accustomed to the tip down, I have no personal desire to change that even if the option is there. I also know I am probably in the minority on this.
I'm with you guys. I'm used to it. Love my Millie!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

nccole wrote:What do you guys think?
I think that everything you proposed is totally unnecessary. But then, it wouldn't bother me if they replaced all the screws with pins, either. As light as the Military is, I don't really think the lanyard tube needs to be big enough for two strands of 550# Mil-Spec parachute cord. I'm pretty sure one strand of 10# utility cord is enough to keep it from getting away. And with a little effort, I can get 550 cord through mine, and I'm certain that is sufficient to stop it at terminal velocity.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

The two will probably have the stop lock, bigger hole, clip orientation, bigger screws and lanyard hole as the difference from the classic right?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Fancier wrote:Evil, did the lockbar position change on your Military when the lock operation changed?
It did, it engaged further into the tang. Most noticeably was how you open the knife...if you opened it gently the lock would fall about 50% but would slide over further with the first cut. If you opened it more firmly it would push into the further engagement, but I noticed by playing with it that if you pressed down on the spine the lock would slide on the tang. I'm fairly sure there wasn't any sap or lube or anything on the tang..I keep my knives pretty clean.
~David
nccole

Post by nccole »

MatthewSB wrote:Same here.

I'm not sure why people get so hung up on one or the other. My Military is used tip down only because that's the only option. I will not carry my Para2 tip down, because it looks stupid because the screw holes are so close to the top of the handle and the edge of the top of the clip almost hangs over the G10, so I carry it tip up without complaint.

The only reason I can see to be so adamant about tip up or tip down is if you've ever put your hand into a pocket where the tip up worn blade has opened up. Tip down carry makes so much more sense afterwards ;)
Safety is the main reason I like tip up. In particular, right front tip up. I want the spine of the blade against the seam of my jeans. It has a good detent, but I have dropped many knives that popped open. The same could happen if I slipped and fell down, then I would have a 4" blade poking me places I don't want to be poked. Also, with the Military and the new shorter deep carry clip I put on it I can grip the it using the choil and not have the clip interfere with my grip at all. Tip down will always have a clip interfering. Most knives are way more comfortable with no clip in your palm. The Stretch, Military, and PM2 are a dream without a clip on them. Also, if I went tip down with my Military it would be my only knife tip down and I like the consistency. I do know a lot of guys are good with tip down only on that particular knife.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

nccole wrote:Safety is the main reason I like tip up. In particular, right front tip up. I want the spine of the blade against the seam of my jeans. It has a good detent, but I have dropped many knives that popped open. The same could happen if I slipped and fell down, then I would have a 4" blade poking me places I don't want to be poked. Also, with the Military and the new shorter deep carry clip I put on it I can grip the it using the choil and not have the clip interfere with my grip at all. Tip down will always have a clip interfering. Most knives are way more comfortable with no clip in your palm. The Stretch, Military, and PM2 are a dream without a clip on them. Also, if I went tip down with my Military it would be my only knife tip down and I like the consistency. I do know a lot of guys are good with tip down only on that particular knife.
The military got me to start carrying my larger folders (strong side) in my RRP instead or RFP. This solves the spine to seam issue for me.
*Landon*
nccole

Post by nccole »

xceptnl wrote:The military got me to start carrying my larger folders (strong side) in my RRP instead or RFP. This solves the spine to seam issue for me.
I did try that, just didn't like sitting on it. I do see that a lot with Military's, and it makes sense.