Sage 1 Detent Ball - Wear

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
amue

Sage 1 Detent Ball - Wear

Post by amue »

Hey guys,

detent ball is noticeably worn ("flattened") after 2 months or so of use (i.e. playing around with it :rolleyes :)

It is hardened and the wearing will stop after this initial phase, right?

Just a little concerned, I've had some less expensive knives from other companies in which the ball was almost gone after a few months.

But thats not gonna happen with a Spydie, right? :cool:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

It shouldn't, although it's probably not practical to test each and every ball bearing for proper hardness. Have you actually noticed "wear", or is it possible the ball had a flat spot to begin with? They're driven into an undersize hole, very likely by something even harder than they are, so I imagine there's some possibility of them being slightly deformed by that.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
amue

Post by amue »

Hi Deacon,

thank you for your input.
I have indeed noticed wear, I inspected the detent ball when I first got the knife and then again just yesterday.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Hi Amue, I also notice this happening on detent balls of Taiwan made blades: My Sage1 developed it, as well as my Bradleys. Of course the harder the blade steel the easier the ball will wear.
I noticed that the wear of these two Taiwan blades goes faster that the wear on my US Millies or Seki-Spydies. Is there a difference in the balls used in the US, Taiwan or Japan?
Tom
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

How is the action of the knife? I'd be tempted to keep it clean with a touch of lube and send it in if things get clunky.
amue

Post by amue »

Action is still smooth. Always clean and lubed up. Will try to take a few pictures this weekend.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Everyone has to take their own path but I would be tempted to just use it as normal and wait for things to start binding. Liner/frame locks are susceptible to dirt affecting action so a bit of cleaning and lube goes a long way. The warranty doesn't have a time limit and the Sage1 is still in production so replacement wouldn't be impossible.

Goodluck friend!
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

Is the detent really loose? Knives break in over time and with use, but if the detent is super loose you might send it in for warranty work.
peacefuljeffrey

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

amue wrote:Hey guys,

detent ball is noticeably worn ("flattened") after 2 months or so of use (i.e. playing around with it :rolleyes :)

It is hardened and the wearing will stop after this initial phase, right?

Just a little concerned, I've had some less expensive knives from other companies in which the ball was almost gone after a few months.

But thats not gonna happen with a Spydie, right? :cool:
This is EXACTLY the worry that BB-detent knives cause me, and why I eschew them.
Give me a milled-tang compression lock or a BALL BEARING LOCK any day.
"Within this frame an ocean swells -- behind the smile -- I know it well..."
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

peacefuljeffrey wrote:This is EXACTLY the worry that BB-detent knives cause me, and why I eschew them.
In normal conditions it's a perfectly viable approach. I have to think there are hundreds of thousands of knives using them with no irregular wear.

While it's not a broad sample, all of my own knives with a detent BB operate as smoothly as day one after hundreds of cycles. The detent/self-close pressure is the same as well.
GTPowers

Post by GTPowers »

Just noticed this on my GB too.
Again, as others, I always clean and lube and my action is still very smooth if not my smoothest knife.
Hm. Werid. I don't think it bothers me.
-GT
amue

Post by amue »

Ok so now I have a Sage 2 with exactly the same problem. Within a month, the detent ball has worn to where opening is no longer smooth. If I release the lock, the blade swings freely, so its definitely the detent ball dragging on the blade thats causing that. My second concern is that if the wearing continues to certain point, the "point" of the ball will be too large to fit into the detent hole.
Meh...
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Give me a back lock any day. Liner locks and frame locks have so much against them, in my opinion.
- best wishes, Jazz.
nccole

Post by nccole »

peacefuljeffrey wrote:This is EXACTLY the worry that BB-detent knives cause me, and why I eschew them.
A compression lock can have the exact same problem. It has a ball detent that serves a similar purpose.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

nccole wrote:A compression lock can have the exact same problem. It has a ball detent that serves a similar purpose.
I was thinking the same thing. They recently added a small cutout/ramp to the tang of the para2 to smooth the transition as the ball slides up onto the tang. Presumably to reduce wear.
mattman

Post by mattman »

amue wrote:Ok so now I have a Sage 2 with exactly the same problem. Within a month, the detent ball has worn to where opening is no longer smooth. If I release the lock, the blade swings freely, so its definitely the detent ball dragging on the blade thats causing that. My second concern is that if the wearing continues to certain point, the "point" of the ball will be too large to fit into the detent hole.
Meh...
Have you lubed it? Some will try to fill the detent hole in the tang with a flouro-grease... (I haven't avid acquired any yet, but I always attend to this area with whatever lube I happen to be using when I service my knives...)
nccole

Post by nccole »

I checked out my Gayle Bradley which is one of my smoothest folders with very little resistance while opening and closing, and the detent ball is flat and shiny. That clearly indicates wear, but because it has worn in and with the blade tang it is a nice relationship. There also seems to be plenty left to wear. I have realized that the ball detent in R.I.L. and Liner Locks is the primary reason for a smooth feeling knife. I would rather see more emphasis on ceramic balls, or better steel balls than bearings personally. Phosphor bronze washers are plenty good and stupid cheap. My Domino is crazy smooth 90% of the time. I am sure it has a flat detent ball, and occasionally it gets rough. Cycle it a few times and it smooths out. I think it is wearing and has some rough patches as it wears. I have never heard much discussion on switching to ceramic balls, but I would say give that a try with washers, and skip the ball bearings in the pivot.