Stretch Brown G-10 ZDP test model

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

****. the saving starts now.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Just a very slight change will make quite a bit of difference in hand I bet.

I like the current Stretch but have always felt that the choil was a bit shallow. I think the radius may have been decreased just a touch which would give it a little more arc length in the same width but then the choil also carries farther into the blade. You can see this by comparing how far into the Spyder hole the choil goes before the blade starts. It looks like it just gives it a bit more downward curvature to feel like there's more jimping surface contact to resist a forward slip on the choil.

I also think that the radius of the downward curve at the butt of the knife handle also might have had a radius increase. If true then this would give a little more effective length to the handle since the downward point might not constrain the pinky finger in a forward non-hammer grip (thumb on back of blade) as much.

It is easy to adjust the screen size photo (Ctrl + - ) to just about get a 1:1 scaling (not quite due to the angled photo shot) to place a Stretch up to the screen of your monitor to compare the differences. Even if over-exposed, the brown is light enough I think to maybe dye a dark green or blue as well. If a CF version is released that would be the one that I would like best of course but I might even buy a brown one too and dye it.

Definitely a nice knife to look forward to. :)
arty

Post by arty »

It will be a nice looking knife, but the current Stretch is a gem. I find the handle ergonomics to be as good as it comes, and I don't have a need for the choil. The choil certainly looks nice, but it won't add to functionality for me. It will add to the appearance for many.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I like the revised choil and also that this finally signals the coming of a G10 Stretch!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

sal wrote:The cutting edge is a "smidgeon" shorter.

I'm liking it better Paul.

sal
Glad you're liking it Sal. Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm fine with giving up a "smidgeon" of cutting edge to allow for that deeper choil.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Paul,

Let me know if you want to play with it for a while. Are you coming to the Blade show?

sal
nccole

Post by nccole »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:I like the revised choil and also that this finally signals the coming of a G10 Stretch!
Not necessarily as I understand the plan, it is cheaper to make small runs in slab construction. The plan though is if the revised choil is well received, then FRN molds will be made.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Looks great. I have been waiting for a deeper choil since I got my first Stretch.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
paladin

Post by paladin »

the deeper choil will improve the ergos. of an already all-time favorite of most members here...

I suspect the rearward "trigger" choil David referenced on p. 1 will be very, very ergonomical, also...it may even become the biggest selling point overall on the redesign...

What's your thoughts on adding more "kick" on the front most (blade) choil...sort of like what you did on your Sage & Chap. series...just that little extra nib helps me feel more "locked in" on the Sage...

Leaving that little bit of metal there was a master stroke for utility on those models, IMHO...

Might be a good time to look at an upgrade there too while the Stretch purists are sitting on their typing hands at present
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I could use more kick at the front of the choil too, if the project hasn't progressed beyond that point and if it seem appropriate.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

sal wrote:Hey Paul,

Let me know if you want to play with it for a while. Are you coming to the Blade show?

sal
Hi Sal, you know I'd love to play with it for a while, but I don't think I'll make it to Blade this year.
Paul
arty

Post by arty »

DougC-3 wrote:I could use more kick at the front of the choil too, if the project hasn't progressed beyond that point and if it seem appropriate.
The knife was designed for use on animals and fish...a hunter. If you added this extra feature, it would reduce the utility of the blade for this purpose. While I am fine with this on the Chaparral, it would ruin the Stretch for me.
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx for all of the suggestions. When we are working on a design, we make 1/2 mm adjustments (0.20) and then we make a model to see how in fits in a number of different sized & shaped hands. Then we make another 1/2 mm adjustment and repeat the process. We may do this 6-10 times for a refinemenbt and as many as 25 for a new design. I'm sure each of you would like to mod every design out there for your personal preferences, but it is more for your personal preference than a market which includes thousands of different people with many differences in hand and use. In my opinion, I think it would be very difficult for us to do that by eye. It's the models that show the ergos.

That is the real value of custom makes in that they can make the design exactly as your personal preferences dictate.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

The Deacon wrote:Hi Sal, you know I'd love to play with it for a while, but I don't think I'll make it to Blade this year.
We'll miss you at Blade. I'll shoot that out to you when we return.

sal
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Looks very cool, and I'm interested in holding one to feel the difference. I'm wondering though, how much thicker is the G10 handle than the FRN handle? One thing I really like about the FRN Stretch is how thin the handle is, despite my long lanky hands. My dad used to say I didn't have hands, just a wrist and fingers.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Sal and Paul kick butt. That's all. Just wanted to say that if nobody else noticed. :)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

David Lowry wrote:Sal and Paul kick butt. That's all. Just wanted to say that if nobody else noticed. :)
True... and that's amazing about the half-mm increments between prototype trials. No wonder Spyderco stuff works :)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
nccole

Post by nccole »

PayneTrain wrote:Looks very cool, and I'm interested in holding one to feel the difference. I'm wondering though, how much thicker is the G10 handle than the FRN handle? One thing I really like about the FRN Stretch is how thin the handle is, despite my long lanky hands. My dad used to say I didn't have hands, just a wrist and fingers.
I wouldn't be surprised if the G10 is thinner. The slab construction CF is noticeably thinner than the FRN.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

sal wrote:Thanx for all of the suggestions. When we are working on a design, we make 1/2 mm adjustments (0.20) and then we make a model to see how in fits in a number of different sized & shaped hands. Then we make another 1/2 mm adjustment and repeat the process. We may do this 6-10 times for a refinemenbt and as many as 25 for a new design. I'm sure each of you would like to mod every design out there for your personal preferences, but it is more for your personal preference than a market which includes thousands of different people with many differences in hand and use. In my opinion, I think it would be very difficult for us to do that by eye. It's the models that show the ergos.

That is the real value of custom makes in that they can make the design exactly as your personal preferences dictate.

sal
And even if someone commissions a custom made to their exact specifications, chances are that it won't fit their hand as perfectly as they envisioned. Considering that, after designing 100+ folders Sal can't always hit the bullseye with his first shot, what are the chances of any of us doing so?
sal wrote:We'll miss you at Blade. I'll shoot that out to you when we return.

sal
Thanks Sal, that sounds great. Look forward to playing with it.
nccole wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if the G10 is thinner. The slab construction CF is noticeably thinner than the FRN.
Me either. I'd be willing to bet it is, since both the CF and the Nishijin GF Sprint runs are thinner than the FRN Stretch.

Nishijin Glass = .375"
Carbon Fiber = .387"
FRN = .457"
Paul
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

The Deacon wrote: Me either. I'd be willing to bet it is, since both the CF and the Nishijin GF Sprint runs are thinner than the FRN Stretch.

Nishijin Glass = .375"
Carbon Fiber = .387"
FRN = .457"
Wow, I did not know that. I've only ever had the FRN, and it's one of the thinnest knives I own especially compared to G10's like the Military/PM2, and other handles of different materials. Guess I have an inclination towards fat handles...heh...

Still, I'd love to feel a Stretch in a thinner G10 handle. That would seal the deal for me.