Eric Should be Proud

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pinetreebbs

Eric Should be Proud

Post by Pinetreebbs »

A still new in the box example of Eric's design's, the C98 Poliwog is for sale on eBay. As I type this post there are 19 bids and the current price is $565. Four bidders got the price over $161, three more kept bidding.

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

It looks nice but not for $565
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

True, but hey it was worth that to one person and very close to that for a couple of others.

Now that the sale is over this is the listing: Poliwog
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

This design is so far before its time that people still don't get it, years after its release and discontinue.

IMHO, Eric's designs define the "next generation of knifemaking." He sees things for what they are and what they could be. The Wog fundamentally reevaluates what a knife lock does and what makes one work in a long-term fashion.

The Bi-fold, although commercially difficult, was another one of his fundamental changes in how people look at the idea of a folding knife and a lock.
I'm sad he's kind of chilled out on the design aspect, but happy he's being groomed to take over the company. He has the right attitude to do a great job when Sal hits the open ocean.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

SolidState wrote:This design is so far before its time that people still don't get it, years after its release and discontinue.

IMHO, Eric's designs define the "next generation of knifemaking." He sees things for what they are and what they could be. The Wog fundamentally reevaluates what a knife lock does and what makes one work in a long-term fashion.

The Bi-fold, although commercially difficult, was another one of his fundamental changes in how people look at the idea of a folding knife and a lock.
I'm sad he's kind of chilled out on the design aspect, but happy he's being groomed to take over the company. He has the right attitude to do a great job when Sal hits the open ocean.
Agree. Pickup a Poliwog and you will have a difficult time putting it down.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The Domino is just fantastic imo. He's gonna be one of the great ones for sure.....
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

It is a great model, I don't have a stainless one but whenever I carry my G10 version, people are amazed. I got mine by fluke, I had ordered a Phoenix and the company I was buying from had a promotion on where for an extra I think $30 you got a Polliwog as well. I may be wrong on the price but it was so low I didn't give it a second thought. Anyway great knife.

paladin

Post by paladin »

DRKBC wrote:It is a great model, I don't have a stainless one but whenever I carry my G10 version, people are amazed. I got mine by fluke, I had ordered a Phoenix and the company I was buying from had a promotion on where for an extra I think $30 you got a Polliwog as well. I may be wrong on the price but it was so low I didn't give it a second thought. Anyway great knife.

Wow! That has to be the score of the decade!!!

For a gadget junkie / knife junkie like me, Eric's exposed BBL are Nirvana...

Opening a BBL is a very unique experience in the world of knives---smooth & mesmerizing...

It is a little bit of therapy for me every time I open one...

I watch the BB start it's journey backward a bit as it travels the radius at the back of the tang...and then plunge forward to securely lock...

Takes me back to my childhood playing pinball in the arcade...good times!

Thanks Eric!!! and thanks Pinetree for starting a great thread! :) :spyder:
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I thought my G-10 Poliwog was a good deal at $70 shipped! It is a great knife (and I much prefer the BBL to the caged BBL).
:bug-red-white
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

paladin wrote:Takes me back to my childhood playing pinball in the arcade...good times!
I get the same feeling from it. Last I talked with Eric, he laughed about how he was in high school when he designed this.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

He is a pretty talented fellow. The polliwog is a winner in both form and function, truly unique.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

DRKBC wrote:He is a pretty talented fellow. The polliwog is a winner in both form and function, truly unique.
Very true indeed. Just a chip off of the "old block" as it were. (And no, I'm not calling Sal old here. ;) ).

By the way, the bidding has ended for the 'Wog in question. Anyone know what the final bid was?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Pinetreebbs wrote:True, but hey it was worth that to one person and very close to that for a couple of others.

Now that the sale is over this is the listing: Poliwog
SpyderNut wrote:Very true indeed. Just a chip off of the "old block" as it were. (And no, I'm not calling Sal old here. ;) ).

By the way, the bidding has ended for the 'Wog in question. Anyone know what the final bid was?
$565 + $11.57 for shipping.
rescueseven

Post by rescueseven »

`
Hey I've got one of those! As long as we're getting top dollar for 'wogs tonight I think I'll give it a go.

Imagesmall print: this is not an offer to buy/sell/trade. that would be against the rules. Besides if someone was willing to pay a grand, they need help, not a knife.

gbelleh wrote:(and I much prefer the BBL to the caged BBL).
absolutely agree
DRKBC wrote:He is a pretty talented fellow.
again, concur
"Don't tempt me, I'll do a sprint run of it!" -Eric
"We've been working on this design for 10 years, unsuccessfully." -Sal
WTC #1398 Bless their souls
Ned

Post by Ned »

I have had that in my "watch" items nearly since its listing...way to steep for me!
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I'm still hoping to score one on the used market for cheap, but I have a feeling it's going to be like hoping for an already hopped up 4bt making 360 horsepower and 550 lb/ft of torque to drop into my truck for $1000...not going to happen...
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I came real close to buying the G10 version once. I was sold on it until I clipped it in my pocket and realized it took up pretty much my whole pocket. Other than that it's a really cool design. I don't much care for the holes in the SS handle, they'd look better if they were actual round holes.
~David
v8r

Post by v8r »

I love mine, but for that kind of money I would have to seriously think about selling........I have been telling my buddies that collect/use Spyderco knives that the Polliwog would be the next Dodo. Anyone remember the insane prices that we're being paid for those about 5 years ago?
I have always likes Eric's designs. He is a true artist in my opinion. I believe his early stuff will be highly sought after in the next few years. A lot of his stuff is a little before it's time, but is later appreciated.
When people see my Scorpius they love it as well.i think they will become sought after as well.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
JD Spydo

Eric Glesser: A great designer

Post by JD Spydo »

I've always had a special liking for Eric Glesser's designs. I truly think the Dodo was not only a revolutionary design but extremely functional as well. I first had my doubts about the Dodo and at first thought it was only a novelty type blade but one day I carried one for my main EDC and I was very pleasantly surprised at how well it functioned. I just regret that they didn't make the Spyderedged version available duing some of those Sprint Runs.

I always thought the original MANIX model was truly a major pivot point in the company's progression. I would like to see a bigger version of the Dodo some day.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
timlara

Post by timlara »

JD Spydo wrote:I've always had a special liking for Eric Glesser's designs. I truly think the Dodo was not only a revolutionary design but extremely functional as well. I first had my doubts about the Dodo and at first thought it was only a novelty type blade but one day I carried one for my main EDC and I was very pleasantly surprised at how well it functioned. I just regret that they didn't make the Spyderedged version available duing some of those Sprint Runs.
Seconded! I originally discovered the Dodo when Ken Onion mentioned it in an interview as being one of his favorite designs to carry, saying he just thought it was "trick". I used to have both the blue PE one and a black SE, but sadly I sold them a few years back during financial hard times and have regretted it ever since.

I really hope there are more sprints in the future, as I can't really justify paying aftermarket prices to pick one up again.