Agony Ramped Up!!!! Knee Replacement #2

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Agony Ramped Up!!!! Knee Replacement #2

Post by JD Spydo »

Well I just got out of the hospital again from "Knee Replacement #2". My Orthopaedic Doc said that my right knee was even far worse and far more ate up than my left knee that I also just got replaced recently back in Jan, 29, 2014 of this year. I wouldn't wish this on a really bad enemy. I was just getting over the other one and then the right knee got to hurting so bad they had to use high powered pain killers just to keep me from going over the edge mentally. But I'm now on the mend and back here at Spyderville again to resume my duties.

Not looking for sympathy at all>> but I am trying to forewarn anyone that you don't take this surgery lightly because it's not for the faint of heart and I know that many out of the "baby boomer" generation will be faced with knee & hip replacements unfortunately. The physical therapy has been nothing short of a "Stephen King" created monster to say the least. The old Commander Cody song with the lyrics "HAVING TOO MUCH FUN" really came back to haunt me because I certainly didn't take good care of my knees in my younger days and now my enemies and detractors are grinning with glee.

Well I'm glad to be back here at Spyderville and if anyone can tell me any tips about how to minimize this extremely aggravating pain I'm all ears. So I'm going to try to focus on the new Spyderco stones and also revamping my "wish list" and "gotta have" lists as well. Sure have caught up on my sharpening chores as I sit in this recliner for hours at a time. I can't even imagine what many of these retired pro football and rugby players are going to face "surgery wise" going down the road but it surely can't be good. On the mend and back at Spyderville again!!! Any tips on how to mend up will be highly appreciated.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Be strong, brother. Get well quick. Good to hear from you. :)
- best wishes, Jazz.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Good to have you back Joe. I unfortunately have little advise in the pain recovery dept. other than keeping your focus elsewhere, which you seem to already know how to do. Hope for a speedy recovery for you. If you care to share, please enlighten us on your "monster" rehab process.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Welcome back, and hope you heal quickly (and less painfully than your other knee surgery)!

As my mother-in-law states, "Getting old ain't for sissies!" I'm not really that old yet, but starting to feel the pangs of arthritis, and my back hurts frequently.

I guess getting older beats the alternative (NOT getting older) :D .
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:Good to have you back Joe. I unfortunately have little advise in the pain recovery dept. other than keeping your focus elsewhere, which you seem to already know how to do. Hope for a speedy recovery for you. If you care to share, please enlighten us on your "monster" rehab process.
Well all I can tell you is that this last procedure reminds me a lot of the Stephen King movie "MISERY" with one of my all time favorite actors James Caan ( of Rollerball fame). If I didn't know better I would say that one of my bad ex-girlfriends is having their way about my fate.

Even with that push-button, self administered pain killer at the hospital is that it wasn't even enough to put a smille on my taco loving face.

But it was like a dose of castor oil that I used to terribly dred when I was a kid ( child abuse at it's worst)>> like a dose of castor oil it's one of those things in life you just have to do at some point if you want to make things better for the long run. Well at least I got my lap top PC back and now I can go back to my duties here at Spyderville and get my envy meter going again. I'm sure interested to learn more about these new Spyderco sharpening stones for the 204 unit that they have been talking about.

Well anyway if the economy totally collapses or we have a societal meltdown like the one that all these preppers are supposedly getting ready for then at least I'll have 2 good knees to walk with. How anyone can do 2 of these at once is just totally beyond me. Good pain free health is truly a form of wealth for sure.
Donut

Post by Donut »

We're way overdue for another hawkbill thread. :)

Hopefully you heal up quickly.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Hi J.D.

Very sorry to hear about the pain :( . I wish I could say more than hope for a speedy recovery. Certainly don't push yourself at all as it will just extend the pain and prolong the mobility issues.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Well, if you do them both at once you don't have to go through it the second time. ;) I think my girlfriend made it because she'd already delivered a ten pound baby, passed several kidney stones and survived multiple gout flares. After that, double knee replacement wasn't so bad. On the bright side, after just under a year she walks better than she has in the three decades I've known her. Just keep telling yourself "It can only get better from here."
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

It's really great to see you again, JD! (despite the circumstances, of course ;) ). I'm also glad you made it through OK on your second knee operation. My mother-in-law had both of her knees done about ten years ago--it wasn't a pretty sight. :( Anyway, we're long over-due to hear some discussions on hawk-bills and fully-serrated blades. Bring on the posts, brother! :D

P.S. Aside from the potent pain meds, I hear that buying a new shiny Spyderco seems to take the edge off of pain. ;) :D

Take care now,

Michael
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Jeremy_A_Neel

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

I've had similar need for physical therapy after my leg surgeries in 2005. My femoral artery in my right leg was surrounded by a malignant tumor and removed, and there was some nerve damage. Thankfully, I guess because I was a kid, my body re-routed the blood flow and I kept the leg. Recovery is definitely a battle. :)
"If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person - they will find an easier way to do it." -Hlade's Law
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Glad to see you back, Joe. I can't even imagine but I know you'll get there.

Prayers sent for a speedy recovery my brother.

Ken
玉鋼
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

Sorry to hear about your pain, J.D. but it's good to have you back here.

I wish you a full, speedy recovery.

Best wishes,
skatenut
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I wish you a speedy recovery, JD. You'll be dancing the jig in no time!

TedP
kwakster

Post by kwakster »

1) Eat fatty fish regularly, if possible daily.
Your body's ability to create joint fluid will benefit greatly from it.

2) Take 1 or 2 glucosamin tablets daily (with chondroitin if you can find them)
Doesn't need to be the expensive stuff.

Advise i got from an old strength coach & physical therapist a few years back when i thought my knees were shot from too much squatting and leg presses.
After about a month of following the advice above all pain was gone.
I'm almost 49 years old and i can still squat 260 pounds without any pain or discomfort, and i don't use a belt.
Now i understand joint replacement is something else, but even if it helps just a little bit it's worth it in my book.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I wondered where you had been, glad you got it fixed
JD Spydo

Back From REHAB

Post by JD Spydo »

phillipsted wrote:I wish you a speedy recovery, JD. You'll be dancing the jig in no time!

TedP
I truly hope that turns out to be the truth TED :D Because at this time even trying to walk seems to be an enemy government type of torture at this time. I had to go to extensive rehab the past 3 days so I'm sorry about my slow reply. The Doc told me that my right knee was far worse than my left once he got it opened up :eek: But I do feel that the worst is over now and I'm over the hump so to speak.

YAB I still can't even phathom how tough your girlfriend must be to have done both knees at the same time. You better talk to that gal with respect my friend :D She just might be tougher than all of us with what you've shared. But seriously I guess my pain tolerance must be pretty low because this has by far been one of the most agonizing experiences of my life getting both of these knees replaced. But the "morphine grade" pain I was battling 2 months before surgery was truly a postcard out of **** itself. At least I got that all behind me now.

Well guys and Spydergals I'm back here at Spyderville trying to get caught up on all the great things that have transpired over the past 4 months or so. I'm especially anxious to check out these new sharpening stones for the 204 unit that Cliff Stamp talked about. I've been waiting for improvement on that front for some time now.

And to my fellow "HAWKBILL Brethren" (Hawkbill Sisters too :D ) it is high time to get some new threads started and maybe it's even "High Time For A New Hawkbill" Gee where have I heard that before :rolleyes: I would love to see a fixed blade Hawkbill on the horizon >> preferably in the H-1 Salt Series.

If anyone can tell me what to do about this severe muscle cramping associated with this surgery I'm all ears.
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

Pfff. Who needs knees?
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
MadRookie

Post by MadRookie »

JD, you're back where it counts - you will mend quickly.

:)

PS: Rum is a super painkiller....

:D
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

Good luck on the rehab JD
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Good to see you around, Joe. I'm currently working on physical therapy for my leg and back - I wish I'd had help on this stuff, but it wasn't meant to be so I'm handling it on my own.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!