Very strong detent on Techno

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dgebler

Very strong detent on Techno

Post by dgebler »

So I picked up a techno a few weeks ago and have been carrying this pretty regular since. I really like the knife, ergo's and just overall look and feel of the knife. I haven't found much in my daily use this does not excel at even with the thick blade, but the one thing which is a little difficult for me is opening this knife slowly. I first thought it would be a great work knife due to the smaller less intimidating size, but the detent is so strong on my example I really have a hard time opening the knife in a slow, controlled manner. It is not that the action is rough or the pivot too tight, it just has one heck of a detent. I don't want to complain too much, because I hate having a loose detent that I worry about unintentional opening (not a question with the techno) but this one is tough to overcome. It flys out with a thumb flick, but as I said I would rather open slowly for the most part. Anyone else find this to be especially stiff??? I am not sure if there is any way to break this in (or just open and use it alot).
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Mine is the same way. I sometimes use the middle finger on the opposite side of the hole to assist the thumb in getting it past the detent, then continue opening slowly with the thumb.
:bug-red-white
Clip

Post by Clip »

I fought with mine quite a bit before I had to make the conscious effort to stop squeezing the lockbar when I tried to open it. Also, darn near destroyed my thumb on the corner of the titanium scale where the hole cutout is before I adapted. Had been thinking about grinding that to open it up more but I'm happy I learned to deal with it.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

Yeah, mine's pretty robust, too. Those Taichung folks really love their detents.
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

Mine is very strong, even after a year or so using it.
:) But I really love the whole 'bank vault' F&F, it feels like a huge tool in your hand. :cool: I'm used to the idea that the very strong detent has the main purpose of avoid accidental opening of the blade, and being that very thick wide and heavy blade that's a real concern when in the pocket.

And that strong detent will also help big time when somebody wants to prove it is some kind of 'gravitational knife'.
:rolleyes:
Stay Sharp!
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

This was brought up a few times, you might be unlucky, but most of the time the detent is not to blame. Because the techno is so small your fingers naturally puts pressure against the lock bar when holding/opening one handed, this obviously makes the knife difficult to open as you are not allowing outward movement of the lock bar to overcome the detent. Try open it two handed, being conscious of the lock bar, and see if you have the same trouble, if not you need to practice how you open it, keeping your finger from gripping the lock.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

My Techno is crazy smooth. Perhaps lubricate the pivot and detent?
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

The detent is nothing more than a ball, that seats into a hole or divot in the blade, under tension of the lockbar, no magic involved. Either the lock bar was over bent in MFG causing excess tension, or the user is the one providing the tension by incorrect technique, usually the latter. Do you notice the lock is unusually difficult to disengage?
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

Yea...I think it is pretty much just user error. I have been exerting pressure on the lockbar (this is difficult to avoid as stated above due to the small size, my fingers have to go somewhere). The lockbar is also fairly stiff to unlock as well, but I really appreciate this as it gives me extra confidence in the bank vault lock-up.

In addition to putting pressure on the lockbar, I realized with the geometry of this knife I needed to change the path of my thumb (if this makes sense) to open more effectively. I was trying to put pressure on the top right side of the hole (towards the spine and away from the tip) and it felt like I had to really force it to get the knife open without flicking. After many attempts to reduce lockbar pressure and open in a smooth but controlled manner I realized if I put pressure on the bottom right (towards the spine and towards the tip) the knife is much easier to open.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Congrats on the Techno!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Clip wrote:I fought with mine quite a bit before I had to make the conscious effort to stop squeezing the lockbar when I tried to open it. Also, darn near destroyed my thumb on the corner of the titanium scale where the hole cutout is before I adapted. Had been thinking about grinding that to open it up more but I'm happy I learned to deal with it.
Exactly the same thing I found.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Donut

Post by Donut »

Try to train yourself to put your pointer finger on the pivot while opening.

That's one of the annoying things that makes me stay away from framelocks.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
gph

Post by gph »

You can also try putting your fingertips on the outside edge of the lock bar touching or almost touching the blade. This will allow you to apply force in the opposite direction of your thumb while not pushing in on the lock.
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

gph wrote:You can also try putting your fingertips on the outside edge of the lock bar touching or almost touching the blade. This will allow you to apply force in the opposite direction of your thumb while not pushing in on the lock.
This has been my best strategy, along with pushing more towards the tip with my thumb arc (instead or upwards towards the pivot).
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

I've never been able to flick mine open like I can the Zulu or Chokwe, but it's still awesomeness.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

You have to flick your thumb more laterally than you would for the Chokwe or PM2 which flick open with a fairly vertical thumb flick...it helps clear the cutout in the frame, and it really does make a difference not having a finger pushing the lockbar closed. Once you get used to it, it will become second nature.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden