Thinking of buying a hip flask. Suggestions?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Jeremy_A_Neel

Thinking of buying a hip flask. Suggestions?

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

Usually I'd like to try and buy American at every chance I get; I don't think there's an option in the hip flask market, save for a $200+ hand-made copper one..
So, excluding that, I'd like some suggestions on a nice quality hip flask. Here's some requirements I'd like to meet:
  • Less than $100
    5 to 8 ounces in volume
    sturdy construction
    retaining hinge for the cap
Thanks everyone
"If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person - they will find an easier way to do it." -Hlade's Law
Jeremy_A_Neel

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

Anyone have any experience with the Stanley flask? I don't like that the retaining hinge is made of plastic, but it seems to be popular.
"If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person - they will find an easier way to do it." -Hlade's Law
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I wish I could offer something! Looking for a good flask myself. Just have a few basic ones so far. Keeping my eyes on this thread :) .
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I've got half a dozen or so steel hip flasks, all with hinged caps, although I don't have the Stanley. The Coleman 8oz. I picked up at Wal Mart for ten or twelve dollars works quite well. I don't know that I'd want to use it for a hammer, but it holds whiskey well enough, doesn't leak and hasn't picked up any dents so far.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I can only add that I'd recommend bigger rather than smaller, because when you have one, everyone wants a little nip.
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Mr Neel!

I have like 7 different booze flasks, but this one is my designated driver when a last minute gift knocks the door:
ImageI've gifted 3 of them, and every one had been waaay more than well received by their happy owners. :)

- More info: http://www.amazon.com/Izola-Tic-Marks-F ... W4425ZE3SX
Stay Sharp!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

What about materials? Which is better? Is Pewter leaking poison into the spirits? Does Copper change the flavor? I've been curious about this stuff since I received a Pewter flask as a wedding gift once. I left some Brandy in one for a few years and was dubious about drinking it.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I'd have major reservations about drinking anything stored in pewter or copper for any period over a few days. The paperwork that came with a couple of my stainless steel flasks said not to leave anything in them for more than two weeks, but others did not come with that warning. I've stored rum and single malt in most of mine for several months at a time without noticeable changes.
Jeremy_A_Neel

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

yablanowitz wrote:I'd have major reservations about drinking anything stored in pewter or copper for any period over a few days. The paperwork that came with a couple of my stainless steel flasks said not to leave anything in them for more than two weeks, but others did not come with that warning. I've stored rum and single malt in most of mine for several months at a time without noticeable changes.
I guess that one high end copper flask is lined with tin. I'm not sure how reactive tin is, but it's FDA approved because of the lining. That said, it's $200+ for a flask. Spendy to say the least.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Pewter is mostly tin, so it should be safe enough. The problem is, pewter is actually a series of alloys, some of which may contain lead. That's not something I'm willing to risk. I'll stick with my cheap stainless flasks and spend the difference on Scotch.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

If you're going to carry it on your person as opposed to having it in a bag or some other off-body carry method, give some thought to what happens if you fall on it. Over the decades I've fallen on some of my Bat-Belt items and a couple of those falls have resulted in more serious injury than would have been the case if I hadn't fallen on hardware. :o
Jeremy_A_Neel

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

JNewell wrote:If you're going to carry it on your person as opposed to having it in a bag or some other off-body carry method, give some thought to what happens if you fall on it. Over the decades I've fallen on some of my Bat-Belt items and a couple of those falls have resulted in more serious injury than would have been the case if I hadn't fallen on hardware. :o
The Mastiff wrote:What about materials? Which is better? Is Pewter leaking poison into the spirits? Does Copper change the flavor? I've been curious about this stuff since I received a Pewter flask as a wedding gift once. I left some Brandy in one for a few years and was dubious about drinking it.
Yeah, I'd say I'll probably stick with stainless. Glass might not impart flavors to the beverage, but it's glass. And unless the flask is made in Japan or Germany or something, I'd be hesitant about using one made of pewter, due to the possibility of lead.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

yablanowitz wrote:Pewter is mostly tin, so it should be safe enough. The problem is, pewter is actually a series of alloys, some of which may contain lead. That's not something I'm willing to risk. I'll stick with my cheap stainless flasks and spend the difference on Scotch.
Good advice :)

For long storage think a titanium one from Snow Peak or a plastic one (like the County Comm Pilot Flask) would make sense? I guess any booze in a flask that doesn't get consumed shortly after is a shame anyways :p
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I'd be cautious about solvents (alcohol) and plastics (of every type). :(
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I'd say stainless, and I've always heard they should be kept/stored full as much as possible.
Jeremy_A_Neel

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

JNewell wrote:I'd be cautious about solvents (alcohol) and plastics (of every type). :(
Yeah. I have the same fears of using plastic to hold alcoholic beverages. Don't know how rational those fears are, but I think stainless steel is probably a safe bet.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Jeremy_A_Neel wrote:Yeah. I have the same fears of using plastic to hold alcoholic beverages. Don't know how rational those fears are, but I think stainless steel is probably a safe bet.
Somewhat rational, but only because the word "plastics" encompasses so many different materials. You could have the same general fear of "metals", since some are toxic, but most folks know at least some that are perfectly safe to use to store, prepare, cook, and serve food. Gasoline melts some plastics, yet there are a lot of plastic gas cans for sale. As for alcohol, methanol and isopropyl alcohol are almost always sold in plastic bottles. For a plastic flask, I'd steer clear of any stamped "Made in China", but those made in the USA or Europe should be perfectly safe.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

cabfrank wrote:I'd say stainless, and I've always heard they should be kept/stored full as much as possible.
Keeping them full may be the problem :rolleyes:
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Jeremy_A_Neel wrote:Anyone have any experience with the Stanley flask? I don't like that the retaining hinge is made of plastic, but it seems to be popular.
Perfect example of something being popular but far from ideal. That cheap plastic retainer for the cap is fine as long as you don't have a remotely active lifestyle.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
Jeremy_A_Neel

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

Well, I just bought this for $20. Looks to be all stainless steel, and it has 30+ reviews on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001XU ... UTF8&psc=1