Amsterdam Meet 2014 Report of Upcoming Spyderco Prototypes

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

That was tonight's batch, I'm working on more for tomorrow... :)
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 5-30-2024 Instagram
Holland

Post by Holland »

Thanks again wouter! can't wait to see tomorrows offerings :)
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The PITS and Roadie are both very interesting. Always welcome some more N690Co
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
spyder moist

Post by spyder moist »

Oh wow within the space of two post my dream edc needs are met.
I've been following the development of the PITS since it began on the British blade forum.
But the roadie is the UK's answer the the Bradley air. Slim elegent gents knife. ( what is the handle made from is it polished micarta).
So with the clipitool se and scissor model on pre order all my knife needs are covered. Wow after years of searching waiting I have my trio of holy grail knives
In sal we trust
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

spyder moist wrote:But the roadie is the UK's answer the the Bradley air. Slim elegent gents knife. ( what is the handle made from is it polished micarta).
I thought the handle was made from FRN, but I like the way you think!
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 5-30-2024 Instagram
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Mr Blonde wrote:I thought the handle was made from FRN, but I like the way you think!
Polished micarta, polished G-10, or FRN are all fine with me. I know a few people who will be getting these as gifts as soon as I can get my hands on some.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
earthman

Post by earthman »

Mr Blonde wrote:PITS stands for Pie In The Sky, apparently, and it is the working title of this very impressive new addition to the slipit line.

The ergos were really nice and I’d love to see how this folder holds up under daily carry and use. The spring bar on top of the handle helps to keep the blade either open or closed. The opening action was very smooth on this prototype. It seemed to me that this knife might be able to withstand more hard use than the slipits we’ve seen so far from Spyderco. The Mike Read PITS is also in my top three favorite prototypes from this year’s meet.

The approximate specifications of the Mike Read PITS folder are:

Overall Length: 18,3 cm / 7.20 inches
Edge Length: 7cm / 2.75 inches
Blade Length: 7,5 cm / 2.95 inches
Blade Thickness: 0,3 cm / 0.19 inches

WOW,......this is the one that most of us in the UK want, I predict that this will be even more popular than the UKPK that was designed for those countries where you can't EDC a locking knife.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I wish every wire clip didn't have to be tip up. The PITS is really nice looking though.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
LC Kid

A Little Gents Blade

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

This little guy reminds me a lot the traditional grafting knives:

Mr Blonde wrote: Image
It looks like it'll make a wonderful tuxedo gents knife. :spyder: I certainly hope they use polished micarta, giving its tiny size it would make a very nice classy touch. :)
Stay Sharp!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Mr Blonde wrote:In 2012 we saw the Lum fixed blade Tanto sprint with a burgundy handle that came out last year, IIRC. Apparently, there were some problems with that handle material. Therefore, this year there will be a sprint of the fixed Lum Tanto with a beautiful black and green G-10 handle. It’s a more tactical version of this nice tanto design, versus last year’s ‘collector’s edition’ .
I always loved original Lum Tanto fixed blade. I skipped the last years sprint, but this one is must have.
Thank Wouter. This one looks as good as an original or better.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Just when I was satisfied with my Lum collection, they go and introduce that new fixed blade sprint!

The PITS looks awesome! Love the blade shape. Just wish it were an integral compression lock. Then it would be right at the top of the MUST HAVE list.
:bug-red-white
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

The Roadie is an inlay project waiting to happen. :cool:
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

That PITS is the best idea I've seen in a long time. I want to know if the hook on the tang (where it contacts the stop pin) acts as a bottle opener. I've put a bottle opener there on designs before, and I think it may work. Does anyone know?
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

swigert wrote:I have a feeling he's saving something great for the end. Just a hunch. We shall see.
I hope you are right, but I suspect you are not. They are being posted in alphabetical order. I'm psyched about what I'm seeing though.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Trevitrace

Post by Trevitrace »

C'mon, Sprig!
paladin

Post by paladin »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I wish every wire clip didn't have to be tip up. The PITS is really nice looking though.
+1 on TipDownWireClips , it would be a bear to engineer around most pivots however I bet...

I'm guessing the scales on the PITS are stainless? Really like the beveled forward faces on the front of the scales where blade/scale transition meets in open position...nice touch!
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

paladin wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:I wish every wire clip didn't have to be tip up. The PITS is really nice looking though.
+1 on TipDownWireClips , it would be a bear to engineer around most pivots however I bet...

I'm guessing the scales on the PITS are stainless? Really like the beveled forward faces on the front of the scales where blade/scale transition meets in open position...nice touch!
Wire clips don't have to be tip up. The Des Horn proves that. I suspect using the three piece stepped pivot that has become somewhat common would allow R/L TD with a wire clip. Think the biggest factor is lack of demand because there are a lot more folks who prefer tip up carry.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

The Deacon wrote:Wire clips don't have to be tip up. The Des Horn proves that. I suspect using the three piece stepped pivot that has become somewhat common would allow R/L TD with a wire clip. Think the biggest factor is lack of demand because there are a lot more folks who prefer tip up carry.
I wish more Spydercos had smooth G10 with the little sculpting they have like on the Des Horn.

Beautiful knife.
Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I like that PITS now a lot better than from the previous pic that was made available...2 points though. 1 - clip is ugly, truly just awful, I know some guys like it...but really, it;s like beautiful Ti/Stainless scales and then something that looks like a paperclip slapped on.

2 - push the grind back! I know place of manufacture and steel need to be printed...but it would be so mcuh better if the grind was pushed back to the "flipper".

The Roadie is a cool looking little knife. Very unique but strangely functional looking. I'll grab one of those for sure.
On the hunt for...
sal

Post by sal »

PITS is Ti.

sal