SpydeChef - concept kitchen framelock folder by MarcinS

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

Honestly, I don't really care about the whole kitchen folder thing. It just a badass looking folding knife. As others have stated, if I have access to a sharp kitchen knife or a dull one and a sharpener, logic dictates using that over any folder. But that misses the whole point. The point is this thing is cool, and if you prepare food with it, sure it might be 'suboptimal' but it will be more awesome-er. It might be harder to clean and not perform as well as a good chef's knife, but since when does much about knife collecting make sense? I sure don't drive a manual car because it's easier and optimal for my needs. I drive it because a perfectly timed downshift puts a smile on my face an automatic never could.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

They should change the name because a few people are just not getting it. They cannot make the connection that a knife called the Military can be something for other than THE Military for example.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Call it the Rave or dubprep... To match the techno.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
CanadaDude

Post by CanadaDude »

FCM415 wrote:They should change the name because a few people are just not getting it. They cannot make the connection that a knife called the Military can be something for other than THE Military for example.
You are very likely right that it would be a good idea to change the name, and to instead market this knife as a very nifty general use EDC, as well as a kitchen knife.
Personally, I enjoy using my Spyderco to do kitchen duty when employing a true kitchen knife would usually be more effective. It's just that the kitchen work is a rare opportunity to use the Spyderco.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

I plan on using it like I use my Military. Food prep is done at times, but isn't a main task.

A Military is a decent kitchen utility knife, but a poor chef knife ;)
Tally-ho

Post by Tally-ho »

I can't forget this knife since last year ^^
| C10PGRE + C10FPK390 Endura 4 | C28GPFG Dragonfly | C36TIP Military | C41GP5 Native 5 | C54GPBN Calypso | C65CFP Lum Chinese | C81GPDBL2 PM2 | C90GFPD Strectch | C94TIP UK Penknife | C101PGY2 + C101PBORE2 Manix 2 | C113GPGY Caly 3 | C123TIP Sage 2 | C126GPFG Rock Lobster | C135GP Perrin PPT | C144CFPE Caly 3.5 | C163PBK Pingo | C164GPBN Nilakka || MT16P MT17P MT18P Mule Team |
CanadaDude

Post by CanadaDude »

That AG Russelll Folding Cook's knife mentioned above is their company's second best-selling knife of all time.
http://www.agrussell.com/product.asp?pn=AG-137BR
I'd like to see the Spydie version of this.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

CanadaDude wrote:That AG Russelll Folding Cook's knife mentioned above is their company's second best-selling knife of all time.
Thanks for sharing that, I have not seen the new model.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
CanadaDude

Post by CanadaDude »

You're welcome. I'm usually immune to the charms of non-Spyderco knives, but this model is very tempting...most of my knife use is in the kitchen.
stalag2

Post by stalag2 »

Aside the polemics of using a folder in the kitchen( i do it quite often even if i have well maintened and dedicated kitchen knives), i think the design itself is really interesting as folders with knuckles clearance allowing to contact a cutting board with a large portion of the edge are rather rare and something that some of us could need even outside of the kitchen, at least i do...

I dont like framelocks, so i would be reluctant to buy it but i would be pleased with any knife designed with that knuckle clearance and angled edge i also love the blade shape.
peter469

Post by peter469 »

I'd like to see a lightweight version of this with a H1 blade. I love H1 for kitchen duty when I'm not at home. I've ruined knives before by cutting salty or acidic foods and not remembering or being able to clean the blade properly afterwards. Wether you're cooking at a party or in the wild it's nice to be able to hold off on proper cleaning until you get home.
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

I really like the design and it would jump pretty far up my want list, but I doubt it would get used in the kitchen.
So many spydies, not enough pockets.

"No one else could ever be admitted here, since this gate was made only for you. I am now going to shut it." Before the Law, Franz Kafka

Spydernation #1990
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

CanadaDude wrote:That AG Russelll Folding Cook's knife mentioned above is their company's second best-selling knife of all time.
I bought one of these at the Blade Show last year from A.G. Evidently, the celeb-Chef Alton Brown helped him design it. The design is pretty cool, the ergonomics are great, and the knife is stout with a 3mm blade, bolsters and G10.

I thought it would be super useful on campouts, at the grill, etc. However, I don't find myself using it very much. After I've gotten it greasy/juicy, I really don't want to fold it up and slip it back into my pocket - yuck. So I keep it in my summer camp grub kit and will use it for food prep there. The great thing is that you can fold it closed after use so that you don't have to leave a large chef's knife open around the outdoor cooking area. Safety first.

TedP
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I do want one of those AG Russell folding chefs knives...it isn't a huge priority but I dig the design. Probably be more of a camping type thing...but it would make my camp cooler than the rest (like it wasn't already...)
On the hunt for...
bh49

Post by bh49 »

phillipsted wrote:After I've gotten it greasy/juicy, I really don't want to fold it up and slip it back into my pocket - yuck.
TedP
this is the reason, why I never understood the idea of folding kitchen knife
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

bh49 wrote:this is the reason, why I never understood the idea of folding kitchen knife
The Catcherman works great. Light and takes up very little space when folded. Nothing I'd carry in my pocket though.

The knife in this thread is mostly cool and will be used for everything.. (a little food cutting as well..)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

NoFair wrote: The knife in this thread is mostly cool and will be used for everything.. (a little food cutting as well..)
than I will stick with my beloved Caly3.5 :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

peter469 wrote:I'd like to see a lightweight version of this with a H1 blade. I love H1 for kitchen duty when I'm not at home. I've ruined knives before by cutting salty or acidic foods and not remembering or being able to clean the blade properly afterwards. Wether you're cooking at a party or in the wild it's nice to be able to hold off on proper cleaning until you get home.
unless you left the knife uncleaned for seven years I highly doubt you ruined it.

I am confident I could leave a carbon steel knife untouched outside all winter and get it back to usable in fifteen minutes. people really over exaggerate just what happens when they get a bit of corrosion on a knife...
Leif

Post by Leif »

I think that trying to market something as a folding kitchen knife would be tough, as it has no advantages over a fixed blade kitchen knife. That being said, this is a beautiful knife that I feel could hold its own without a gimmicky premise.
Two historical figures, outlaws and desperadoes if that, the villainous pair of really nice boys who just happened to be on the wrong side of the law.

:spyder: Current EDC: Paramilitary 2 :spyder:
spyken

Post by spyken »

dragging this one out. Thanks for the link to AG's folding kitchen knife 2. I used to own the folding hocho - it was great, far greater than any kitchen knife folder, including KW's ryback (too thick for real kitchen work and the the choil reduced the working edge by 25%). I do agree about practicality of folding kitchen knives but they're cool as **** at the barbie's, for the folder guys. I do use my FFG to cut a little food at camp cookouts or gatherings...just clean it up with water and some dishwashing liquid, dry it off and it's good to go. A lock back design isn't the best for this purpose though, an open back framelock is better.

I love Marcin's design, but the knuckle clearance needs to be factored in. I personally like at least 2" wide baldes for kitchen work.
spyken