Large Kiwi G10 ETA?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Elsilrac1

Post by Elsilrac1 »

Getting excited to see this one release. Haven't bought a new knife all year. This might get me out of the rut.
KrisOK

Post by KrisOK »

Thanks Sal, Sounds like it will be a nice knife. Hopefully if it sells well we might see that jigged bone version as a sprint.
EDC Everything! Our knives are TOOLS, not 'Objects d'art'. A 'Safe Queen' is an implied insult to the designer/manufacturer.
dres_x

Post by dres_x »

I was just thinking about how a blue nishijin version of this would be absolutely amazing XD
Can't wait for this knife though!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't really lust over handle material that much, but I would love to see a ZDP sprint someday, assuming the knife is popular enough to warrant a sprint. I could also see this knife being awesome in Super Blue.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
willydigger

Post by willydigger »

Left carry option? I'd assume yes, bet there have been several models recently that have forgotten about us lefties.
Swick3 • Blue Lava • Orange Dodo • Persistence • Techno
No Longer Own - Dragonfly 2 G10 • Sage 1 • PM2 • Cat S30V G10 Custom • Orange FRN Dragonfly • Native 5 G10• Foliage Smallfly
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

willydigger wrote:Left carry option? I'd assume yes, bet there have been several models recently that have forgotten about us lefties.
If not the wire clip would be super easy to mod and make lefty, just cut two slots on the opposite side and flip it over.
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

willydigger wrote:Left carry option? I'd assume yes, bet there have been several models recently that have forgotten about us lefties.
Any midlocks among them?
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
willydigger

Post by willydigger »

Evil D wrote:If not the wire clip would be super easy to mod and make lefty, just cut two slots on the opposite side and flip it over.
Agreed. I just modded my Lava for a wire clip so it would be the same for this backlock too.
Swick3 • Blue Lava • Orange Dodo • Persistence • Techno
No Longer Own - Dragonfly 2 G10 • Sage 1 • PM2 • Cat S30V G10 Custom • Orange FRN Dragonfly • Native 5 G10• Foliage Smallfly
M80

Post by M80 »

sal wrote:I don't have a delivery date yet.

Plain Jane black-peel ply G-10. Full flat 3" VG-10. Wire clip. Mid lock-back.

This model was inspired by a discussion on the forum. We made samples of both jigged bone and g-10, notched spine and sloped spin, both wharnies. Made in Seki by the original Kiwi maker. Both samples were quite expensive, but the jigged bone version was quite a bit more so we decided to try the one model first (G-10) and then go from there.

The Kiwi Slip-joint was made to serve that market. 2 hand open, non locking. (laws in Europe and New York are moving in that direction). That combined with the high price of the production Kiwi models and slowing sales dictated a change. The new model is for that gents folder 3" urban carry.

sal
Please tell me you can switch the pocket clip for left pocket carry :D
dres_x

Post by dres_x »

Bumping this to see if there's any new info about it :)
jag-engr

Post by jag-engr »

Any new updates on a release date for the G10 Kiwi? GPKnives is saying that it will be in the second quarter of 2014.

I haven't been around spydercoforums much in the last couple years, but I'm psyched about this knife!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

:crickets:

Anything? I was just looking at some pics, and I am so **** excited for this knife. Blade HQ lists this thing as weighing 1.9oz....Sal can you or anyone else verify? That is nice and light for a 2.45 inches of cutting edge. The only thing I noticed that I'm a little bummed out on is the pinned construction in the handle, as I would like to be able to easily make scales for this.

While I'm here, I'm just gonna toss out a few random thoughts:

1. FRN Kiwi 4

2. FRN H1 Kiwi 4

3. FRN H1/SE Kiwi 4 (!)

4. ZDP/BRG G10 Kiwi 4

5. Superblue Kiwi 4

6. Is it too early to ask for a SS version? Don't get me wrong, I'm all about the G10, but this is one of the few knives that I feel has plenty of ergonomics in the grip to get away with a slippery scale material. That said...

7. Ti Kiwi 4!?

8. Ti/Bolstered Kiwi 4!!??

9. Ti/Bolstered Kiwi 4 ZDP-189!!!???

10. Ti/Bolstered Kiwi 4 Damascus!!!!????

11. Ti/Bolstered Kiwi 4 Superblue!!!!!?????

Aaaaand I've just gone to plaid.
~David
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Funny, I was about to say you've lost it but your spaceballs reference will do nicely. Superblue would be nice, yeah.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Funny, I was about to say you've lost it but your spaceballs reference will do nicely. Superblue would be nice, yeah.
Glad someone got that reference lol.

Really though, I'd be tickled to death with simple gray G10 and Superblue. I really wouldn't mind ZDP and either British Racing Green or even that darkish blue that the ZDP Stretch came in.
~David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Though I know most of the knives on your list would have a higher MSRP than most for their size, I would still be interested in ANY of them. I'm just ready for the already announced model to be out.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

xceptnl wrote:Though I know most of the knives on your list would have a higher MSRP than most for their size, I would still be interested in ANY of them. I'm just ready for the already announced model to be out.
Idk man didn't we just get a Ti bolstered CF Damascus Caly 3? That knife wasn't outrageous in price...wasn't it cheaper than the current Ti Chaparrals? Give me a double Ti bolstered, carbon fiber inlay Damascus Kwiw 4...man that would be hot.
~David
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Evil D wrote:Idk man didn't we just get a Ti bolstered CF Damascus Caly 3? That knife wasn't outrageous in price...wasn't it cheaper than the current Ti Chaparrals? Give me a double Ti bolstered, carbon fiber inlay Damascus Kwiw 4...man that would be hot.
It was stainless steel bolsters on the Caly 3. But I'd be down with Ti bolsters, CF inlay, and either Damascus or Super Blue on the Kiwi.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Evil D wrote:Idk man didn't we just get a Ti bolstered CF Damascus Caly 3? That knife wasn't outrageous in price...wasn't it cheaper than the current Ti Chaparrals? Give me a double Ti bolstered, carbon fiber inlay Damascus Kwiw 4...man that would be hot.
jabba359 wrote:It was stainless steel bolsters on the Caly 3. But I'd be down with Ti bolsters, CF inlay, and either Damascus or Super Blue on the Kiwi.
Kyle beat me to it. I think the stainless frame and bolsters helped keep that cost Damascus Caly. Either way I would do whatever possible to scratch together the funds.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Heck I'm down with stainless bolsters too. I'd really be just as happy with plain old G10 and Superblue. Maybe instead of the textured/flat G10 make it rounded like the original Kiwi and polish the G10.
~David
AKWolf

Post by AKWolf »

Yea, it's definitely a nicely designed edc, but deserves more embellishments/options...
9 er's.....

Latest :spyder:s...C173G, SC90FPGYE, C81GPGR2...