Status on MT-18?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
phillipsted

Status on MT-18?

Post by phillipsted »

It's been a couple of months since we heard anything from Sal on the next Mule, #18. In late SEP, the casual bombshell thread mentioned that Sal had a batch of CPM-4V in house for the Mule.

Has anyone heard any status? I'm getting psyched!

TedP
JLS

Post by JLS »

I'm interested in updates on either this or the "missed" 204P Mule. I'd be happy for either one.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
Prospero

Post by Prospero »

Do we know for a fact that the CPM-4V is ear-marked for MT18 and not a later release?? (just curious)
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I don't know what order any future mules are coming out . In fact, I don't know any other steels besides 4V being planned. This is probably the first time we didn't have a hint of upcoming steels. I've been pretty curious.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Maybe we'll have to wait for them to invent a new steel to top the ones that have been released already.
sal

Post by sal »

Sorry guys, been realy busy. We have 3 new steels in-the-works. 1 already finished. Kelly will decide the "when".

sal
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

If it wasn't for Spyderco making mules constantly I would assume you folks are just randomly putting numbers and letters together. ;)
Invective

Post by Invective »

sal wrote:Sorry guys, been realy busy. We have 3 new steels in-the-works. 1 already finished. Kelly will decide the "when".

sal
3 new steels!? Sal your calendar must be wrong, Christmas isn't until next month :D

But this is fantastic news I can't wait to get my hands on all three, regardless of what they are!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Very nice, with the addition of the K390 just released recently, these new steels should make for some great 2013 (fingers crossed for one more before the New Year) and 2014 Mule Team members. Sal, you hinted at CPM-4V already, any hints on the identity of the other two?
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Invective wrote:3 new steels!? Sal your calendar must be wrong, Christmas isn't until next month :D

But this is fantastic news I can't wait to get my hands on all three, regardless of what they are!
Look for them to be spaced out a little, though - usual rate is ~4/year. Patience!!! :eek: :D
Prospero

Post by Prospero »

How do the properties of 4V compare to 3V??
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I just want to say that this is actually a very uninteresting question (when will MT-18P appear, not Prospero's question). What we really, really want to know is: when the heck will MT-14P (CTS-204P) show up??? :confused: :(
sal

Post by sal »

JNewell wrote:I just want to say that this is actually a very uninteresting question (when will MT-18P appear, not Prospero's question). What we really, really want to know is: when the heck will MT-14P (CTS-204P) show up??? :confused: :(
Do you think there is still interest in a Mule Team of 204P since it is being used in production?

sal
Holland

Post by Holland »

sal wrote:Do you think there is still interest in a Mule Team of 204P since it is being used in production?

sal
I think that is a valid point. The thing that attracted me (and I imagine many others) to the mule project is to try new and fancy steels at a discounted price. at this point in time, we have had 204p in the Southard, and M390 in a para2 sprint, a military sprint, and of course its own mule. I really dont see the attraction anymore. However, i would still try to fill the 14th spot with something as it would be weird to have a spot missing, but that could just be my OCD talking :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

While I don't think we need a CTS-204p mule, I do think it would sell out if a standard run of mules was made 400 - 600 quantity.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
Invective

Post by Invective »

sal wrote:Do you think there is still interest in a Mule Team of 204P since it is being used in production?

sal
I'm sure there's a market for it. Even though it's in the Southard and PM2, some people don't like flippers, and the PM2 sprint is hard to get so if people could get 204P again, I assume there would be many takers. Depending on price, not a lot of people could pass up 204P at $69-$79. It's a great bargain for a great steel.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Flippers and framelocks don't appeal to me, and the Compression lock doesn't float my boat, either. I'm in for a couple of 204P Mules.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
spyderfly

Post by spyderfly »

+1

I will take a couple of the MT-14, just to get it complete or fil the spot with onother one.
Kohbanang

Post by Kohbanang »

I am not one, use the mule as pry bar, so i will see a good REX slicer mule :-)
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I can't even begin to guess. There are new steels, powder versions of old steels, lots of old classics, any of which can make a great knife. I like them all pretty much. I still don't care for 440C though, which is strange as I like D2.

Must have been some traumatic sharpening thing before I had any decent stones to sharpen. Or, it was the slag in some of the old 70's 440C and 440A knives. Or the lousy edges the steel takes. Who knows? :)

I still enjoy steels like O-1, and W2 even though some would find them ho hum compared to K390. Not me though. That new CTS powder version of CRB 7 looks fun, though it might not make the maximum wear resistance types happy. I would love to try S1 or S5 run fairly hot. S1 looks interesting.

Several high speed steels make good knives too. Better than CPM M4? Well.....Maybe not. But still good.

See how difficult this can get. :)

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"