Give me some darn good advice

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
KrisOK

Post by KrisOK »

I'd say Manix 2 or Endura, either in combo edge. Neither have a liner lock, both have good steel, and both cost less than $100 each. Considering the torture that you you put your knives through, I wouldn't spend much more than that. In fact, if you are as tough on them as you say, I'd probably buy BOTH, so you will have a backup.

But seriously, from your first post, I'd say that you need one knife and one CROWBAR!
EDC Everything! Our knives are TOOLS, not 'Objects d'art'. A 'Safe Queen' is an implied insult to the designer/manufacturer.
Senate

Post by Senate »

i thinkmost of my fellow forumites missed the fact that you want to pry with your knife...
i really don't know if there is Spyderco for that. maybe something with a big blade: Tuff, Valloton, LionSpy maybe.
but in the end no knife is gonna resist forever what you described.
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Yeah prying not a good idea at all even with a hunk of a blade the the Vallotton get a pry bar tool and attach it to a lanyard on the knife .
Boker do them as do a few others small enough to put on a lanyard big enough to do the job.
Even if you don't snap the blade, you'll eventually cause deformation on the washers and or lock components ,and a lock failure with something as sharp as a Spydedge goodbye fingers :D .
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

senorsquare wrote:If you can live with plain edge and can spend a little more then I would suggest the Gayle Bradley. The GB has some seriously thick liners and it's super stout. The M4 steel is tough and holds an edge nicely and cuts like crazy. Otherwise, I'd go with the Manix 2 or Endura as suggested above.
FINALLY! Been reading this thread and wondering why the GB wasn't in the first reply. :) The only problem is it is a liner lock. However it is a little more difficult to release because of the opening to the lock bar being small. Personally, I like this. It's not hard to unlock at all and safer IMO. The only liner locks I have heard of getting stuck in the open position are the less expensive ones. It happened to me when I had a popular brand knife however NOT near the quality of Spyderco knives. Especially the GB. I'd even go with a used one as long as it's in good condition. It's a pretty knife that is also as tough as a folder comes. But it sounds like you will put a scratch or two on any knife. The Gayle Bradley is now called the Bradley Folder if you look at Spyderco's listing.

In addition to the GB (now called the Bradley Folder) I think the Manix2 is a GREAT knife. VERY comfortable to use and strong. The lock is about infallable. When it is open and locked it WILL NOT close unless the lock buttons are pulled back. You need to pull back on both buttons to release it which is easy to get the feel for. Feels awkward at first but I learned to release it as easily as any other lock. Also, the Manix2 can come in different versions (blade steel, etc.) but the basic one is top notch.

Prying is not a good idea for a folding knife. But I've never known a person who WORKS with his knife that doesn't pry at least a little. IMO you can pry a little with a either of the knives I've mentioned. Not much, but some. Some blade play may develope, but maybe not. Whatever you have been doing with your knife in the past I bet the Spydercos will handle. That's just me and I have no say on warranty issues of course. If you need to pry a lot, get a fixed blade but folders (good ones) can handle quite a lot. It's kind of an iffy situation.

Just remembered your attraction to the serrated edge which the GB does not come in. Still, it cuts great and the steel is exceptional. Good luck.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

I am pretty sure that the serrated Manix 2 has shallow serrations. I would also recommend the Enuff Sheepsfoot. It comes in H1 or VG10. It's a fixed blade, but it's short, serrated, $100, and 4mm thick.
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
ELitEiNFidEL

Post by ELitEiNFidEL »

Cheddarnut wrote:Mostly to save weight. Doesnt sound like that would be an issue for you.
Ive never tried the salt series but the steel "work hardens" which means the more you sharpen it the harder it gets.
I think the serrations on the militarys and the enduras/delicas are similar, so it comes down to durability of build:
The military has a liner lock so you may toss that out right away if thats an issue for you.
The military and para both have delicate tips compared to the saber ground delica/enduras. You could probably get away with prying with a saber ground enduras tip.
The delica is thinner than the endura, better for fine slicing.
Id recommend the Serrated Endura. The stock steel (VG10) is good and holds no surprises. If you prefer a longer lasting edge, or really like dark green, go for the ZDP-189 steel on it.
Hope that helps.
I just saw that the tip is thin on the militarys, thank you for pointing that out that makes it easy on me. The pacific salt seems to be the same knife as the endura but with H1 steel and a more robust tip that is not as pointed. The Pacific Salt seems to be more my style when fully serrated, however it has no steel liner. The Police seems to have everything I want except its just too long with a thin tip.

The GB is great but I really have my heart set on the full serrations, just my preferance as of now. The Manix2 is perfect but fully serrated has been discontinued it seems. So Endura or Pacific Salt seems like its being narrowed down.
ELitEiNFidEL

Post by ELitEiNFidEL »

Blackhawk30 wrote:Tinsnips for the metal pallet strapping.A hatchet also works well if cutting into the wood of the pallet is no problem.Romex and pvc should be cut with a hacksaw.Use the proper tool for the job.You're relying too much on your knife.
i am a tool nut, and a firm believer in the right tool for the job. If I do not have the proper tool available and it needs to get done I use my knife. I just dont have everything on my at all times. For example I left my PCV cutters at the shop and have to cut some sprinkler pipe quickly because they are about to pour concrete and its gooing to go bad in an hour, bam whip out the knife. Need to clean off the glue on this fitting scrape it off with my knife. This pallet of roof shingles needs to be opened but my snips are all the way across the jobsite and theres clients waiting and that want to see whats in the pallet now before its installed, use my knife and snap off that strap. Its not an all day everyday thing but it happens that I need to do things like this often, sometimes worse and to have a tool that can perform it is what I need. My CRKT has done it, I am sure a Spyderco can.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I'd suggest a byrd cara2 full serration. With a delica plain edge as backup for more delicate task.

Spyderco way of doing 8Cr13MoV is not the same as Chinese OEM own brand.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... 2-thoughts
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... ack-BY03BK

There was one member using his Cara for prying loose a cam (IIRC, can't find that thread) and it held up fine!

ETA, found it:http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... to-do-this
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Another vote for the serrated Cara Cara. This knife is strong with full liners and affordable so you can buy two and have that crucial spare in the truck when you need it.
Edited to add:
I just looked online at four vendors and the only fully serrated Cara Cara I could find was the rescue pattern. Good for prying but designed to not penetrate. Looks like Endura or Pacific Salt are your best bets.
Divo

Post by Divo »

all those recommendations . . .

For the materials and diff edges you simply can look up them in the spyderco catalogue. They are mentioned separately. Then you can look what you prefer for your typical use. Too many personal preferences involved I think. Its fun to look yourself for comparisons and more knowledge about materials and particular use.

For your use as you do at the moment, I can only say stop with it, time for new strategy. Maybe a nice knife for knifetasks and for al the rest (of your abuse) a multitool like the Leatherman Surge orso, which has a replacable saw blade. (T-shank jigsaw blades)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

ELitEiNFidEL wrote:I just saw that the tip is thin on the militarys, thank you for pointing that out that makes it easy on me. The pacific salt seems to be the same knife as the endura but with H1 steel and a more robust tip that is not as pointed. The Pacific Salt seems to be more my style when fully serrated, however it has no steel liner. The Police seems to have everything I want except its just too long with a thin tip.

The GB is great but I really have my heart set on the full serrations, just my preferance as of now. The Manix2 is perfect but fully serrated has been discontinued it seems. So Endura or Pacific Salt seems like its being narrowed down.
Hey there. Listen to what I'm about to tell you. Get the Pacific Salt. Period. Don't make it complicated. It's affordable and h1 probably has the best edge retention and performance of any serrated edge spyderco makes. Plain edge h1 is soft. Serrated edge h1 is a different story. It's as good as it gets! The handle has no liners but the knife is tough as nails! Don't worry. I beat the **** out of mine and it begs for more. Given your requirements, theres nothing to even think about on this one. Serrated edge h1 salt!

And yeah, as a bonus you get a knife that is completely rust proof.
ELitEiNFidEL

Post by ELitEiNFidEL »

Thank you everyone I really do appreciate all the advice.

Divo- Your right on about the Mulit-tool however tool bags on and off all day, clothing snagging on the holster and weight/ bulk on my person it does not work well for me during the working days. I am a General Contractor so I play a lot of roles and need my tools to be concealed for clients and such. This is not going to be my every event every day knife just my work/ outdoors knife which is most of my life, but will need others so I will be looking next into a smaller EDC knife like cricket/ ladybug soon for being about in the city/ coropate world and a new defensive tactical knife as well in near future.

Surfingringo- I just looked more into the Pacific Salt and am going for it after your testimonial. I was concerned about the non liner handle but you and other reviews have said it holds up fine. I do perfer the more blunted thick tip on the Salt vs Endura also and H1 with the spyderedge will hopefully do me well. Pics coming soon when I get it.

Thank you all for your time! Spyderco Pacific Salt (Black full Spyderedge) is the winner on order.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

That's probably a very good choice.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ELitEiNFidEL

Post by ELitEiNFidEL »

[ATTACH]22772[/ATTACH]
Got my Pacific SE Salt in a couple days ago. Dude this thing doesn't weigh anything its almost cheesy. Blade is very sharp. It has a very very slight side play and no vertical play. It scratches easily on the sides of the blade and the black pocket clip is all scratched up already with just a couple days of carrying but that doesn't bother me to much its a work knife. So far so good and I am excited to run it through the paces!
Attachments
1236636_10202012574742764_776648935_n.jpg
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Variety is the spice of life. I don't perceive any real life practical advantage of autos and flippers over the Spydie hole, but I do have fun playing with the different mechanisms. For practical purposes, the Spydie hole is more than good enough for me. In other words, I'm sure I'm faster than that tomato I'm about to eat.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Agree on the Pacific Salt for your uses if you still want the pointyish tip. Let us know how it works for you.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!