More Knife Bans in UK

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

More Knife Bans in UK

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

http://www.haverhillecho.co.uk/news/lat ... -1-5433479

http://www.haverhillecho.co.uk/news/lat ... -1-5433479

In 2012 a further 2205 blades were deposited, from the start of 2013 to July a further 1594 knives have been collected, giving a total 9,924 since the campaign began.

These knives have subsequently been shredded at Sackers Recycling in Great Blakenham.

That really sickens me. Think of all the good knives they destroyed for false senses of accomplishment and safety.

tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

I am sure everyone over there feels sooo much safer :rolleyes:
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

This isn't a new knife law banning any type of knife .
I'm in the uk the latest crap we have had to deal with is Royal Mail banning posting of weapons .
Now since its illegal to own a knife advertised as a weapon its a rhetorical issue you can buy a weapon but only if its sold as utility (crazy I know) .
The royal nail employees have been given a sheet but the problem is the only ban is on flick knives , balisongs etc which are illegal to buy anyway .
You can own a balisong if you had one before the ban came in so we are having trouble posting .
As the sheet just has a fixed blade on it , which are still legitimate to post , it just happens to be before its about to be privatised too .
Hmm ? the link you refer to is a Amnesty bin where if somebody has a knife that's illegal or they just don't want it around they can dispose of it without fear of prosecution.
I'd not be surprised if you took a balisong into a police station to hand in if they prosecuted you that's the purpose of these 'bins' .
I think they offer a crime disposal service tbh as I'm sure there are many knives used for criminal activity that get dumped in these bins.
Its usually the others are knives etc found by parents that take them I'm not sure what happens to the smelted steel though it would be good if it was put back into the public services.
But it probably lines the coffers of politicians and the likes .
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I really love how they can take two statistics and apply them together to make it look like they are directly linked.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

xceptnl wrote:I really love how they can take two statistics and apply them together to make it look like they are directly linked.
They can take a cake and tell you its a pizza if its sensationalised enough anybody see the news report on Swiss Army knives by the daily mail .
There's a thread on bb on it only if your a member though as its in a member section , a journalist went to Switzerland main airport .
There he brought 3 Swiss Army knives which your allowed to carry then took pics of himself with a story that is just irresponsible .
The line was a picture with 3 blades open a saw the usual blade and the file I think with the caption "3 potentially lethal blades " what a bunch of utter bell ends .
Some people have quoted one uk posed law about kitchen knives being banned with pointed long blades .
But this one actually made some sort of sense as 99% of lethal stabbings are with long pointed kitchen knives .
The reason being it creates a long wide bleed channel which is almost impossible to repair before a victim bleeds out .
It was also a surgeon who had tried to save several people with these wounds but couldn't so I see his intentions but the knife laws here are so contradictory and based on interpretation it cause problems.
Even the police don't know the laws I can link to tons of posts/threads where security has confiscated legal knives the owner has then had to show the police the actual law .
Which is a crazy situation to be in they should be taught exactly what is what before being passed as a officer , in some ways our laws aren't too bad but they're not good enough .
Can anybody tell me why a balisong is more dangerous than a matriach or a civilian I doubt it but its because of media portraying them in films etc that got them associated with the bad guys I would wager the statistics of stabbings with a balisong in the percentage that are not kitchen knives is very low.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

All those knives that have been confiscated and still that poor soldier was attacked and beheaded in broad daylight on an open street. Those anti-knife laws and all of those cameras couldn't do a single thing to stop that tragedy. :(
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'm sure the USA isn't far behind...
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

D1omedes wrote:All those knives that have been confiscated and still that poor soldier was attacked and beheaded in broad daylight on an open street. Those anti-knife laws and all of those cameras couldn't do a single thing to stop that tragedy. :(
The point personified the blades used were a butchers clever and kitchen knives no $200 + knives but in that instance I think they would've used anything .
I couldn't type what needs to be done in this country because its too emotive and too much would be confused with what is the real problem and people's perception of when somebody is stating fact rather than being prejudice.
I'm not gonna go any further but to say those incidents transcend any laws applicable to knives , guns etc.
But I hear your point and trust me we in the uk are sick of it and people need to make a stand its just amongst those who stand for the right reasons , are those that will be there for the wrong reasons .
:( .
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

TomAiello wrote:I'm sure the USA isn't far behind...
I think we're pretty far behind. The media portray guns as the big issue. If a bunch of strict gun laws come into play, then maybe knives are next, but it seems like most people are too scared of guns to be scared of knives :)
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
Donut

Post by Donut »

It would be interesting to see some approximations of what that means in the big picture.

For this to be useful information, you'd have to know where the knives came from. If mothers are turning in their children's knives, do children cause a large percentage of knife crime?

I suspect that if someone sees a bin and says "I didn't need that knife anyways." Those people seem to be unlikely the ones committing knife crime.

So, what is this accomplishing? Removing random unused knives? I suppose someone who is going to commit a non-premeditated knife crime might pick up a random knife.

Are people turning in kitchen knives? I think we've all read that a large percentage of knife crimes are done with kitchen knives.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

What is so sad about all this debate over guns/knives, rights, safety, etc., is that we only have to look towards the recent past for some help. Our grandparents lived in a world where much of these bizarre crimes just didn't exist and yet there were little to no restrictions on guns/knives. The debate does not actually focus on true causality because that involves much deeper questions and complicated issues. Until society does sit down and address true causality, then we will continue to suffer from inane laws and horrific episodes.
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Politicaly correct. This is why a cake is called a pizza & a pocket knife is called a weapon or flick knife. Why a perpetrator is called a victim & coddled while the true victim is victimised more by the system & innocents are presumed guilty. Political correctness is an evil wrapped as a nice parcel that looks good to the eye today but smells to high heaven tomorrow & is the root of many modern society ills.
The real problem with criminal use of knives goes un diagnosed & therefore un treated, all the time worsening, just as you would expect.
O.