Civilian/Help.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Raus06

Civilian/Help.

Post by Raus06 »

Hi all. It's been awhile since I've posted. I'm considering buying a Civilian, strictly for novelty purposes. I mean, to me, it is just one sexy knife... It looks so intimidating, and casually vicious, that I would be comfortable expending $250cad on aesthetic appeal alone. I am interested to know, in contrast, what the owner's impressions of it are, if any of you own one... My mind is already made up, regardless. The descriptions on spyderco's main site, in the catalogue are way too bleak and I can't seem to find any sort of lengthy review. You're insights are appreciated..
P.S.: I don't know if anyone will remember this, but some time ago there was a thread concerning a website, whose contents included but were not limited too: Hand to hand combat manuals in pdf form, umm, anarchist's cookbook kind of publications... Taboo staff en masse, the vast majority in .pdf form.
It was a masisve thread, but I have no idea as to how to find the threads, because any kind of keyword eludes me.. If you can help me out awesome.
Thanks in advance.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Like most last lines of defense, the Civilian is designed not so much to survive an attack as to allow you to survive one. Think of it as the knife world equivalant of a motorcycle helmet. If you're the least bit sensible, you wear it hoping you'll never have to "use" it. If you do use it, it saves your noggin, and you're sensible, you retire it with thanks and buy a new one. The Civilian is a fearsome slashing weapon, but the paper thin tip may very well not survive the encounter. From everything I have heard, the knife will continue to be effective, although not quite as effective, even with a fair portion of the tip broken off.

The only "problem" I can forsee for you is that a slashing tool is not going to be anywhere near as effective in Canada, in the winter, as it would be in Florida in the summer. Something that combines both slashing and stabbing ability might prove more practical.

But since you say you're looking at it more for show than for go, none of the above really matters. So from "your" viewpoint, the Civilian is an awesome looking piece of hardware and will cause John and Jane Q Public to soil their linen if they see you using it as a letter opener. Just refrain from using it as a box cutter in public, or the fear may turn to laughter when the tip breaks off. Spring the extra bucks for the CF version if you can find one, it has way more "eye candy" value than the G10. I would also suggest avoiding the Tufram, for some reason, at least to my eye, it is nowhere near as intimidating to look at as the others.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Raus06

Post by Raus06 »

How is it last ditch, I'm not clear on that? I mean, why not just give undercovers a standard folder, like the Police, as opposed to issuing them such a task specific blade, like the Civi.. Why is it regarded as "the deadliest Spyderco design"?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Raus06 wrote:How is it last ditch, I'm not clear on that? I mean, why not just give undercovers a standard folder, like the Police, as opposed to issuing them such a task specific blade, like the Civi.. Why is it regarded as "the deadliest Spyderco design"?
The design is optimized for a single purpose, to slash human flesh as efficiently as possible, to sever muscles and tendons and promote the free flow of blood. All other design considerations are secondary. For that reason, the first half inch or so of the tip is very thin, amost paper thin, like a razor blade. It is, therefor, "better" as a slashing weapon than a design like the Police which, while obviously capable of inflicting much damage to a human body, can also be used to carve a chicken, cut up a heavy corrugated cardboard box, or flip a steak on the grill - without fear of damage. The other "reason" is that, from what I understand, slashing is a much more natural and intuitive movement than stabbing and thus does not require the same degree of training in order to be used effectively in a defensive situation.

As for why some consider it "the deadliest". Pick two thirty year old females in roughly equal physical condition at random off the street. Put a Police in the hand of one, a Civie in the hand of the other, show them how to open the knives, nothing more. Which one would you rather go up against? If you choose the one with Civie, you're a candidate for a Darwin award. As someone who has never trained with a knife, a Civilian would certainly be my first choice as my "last line of defense" if I needed to take a stroll in a neighborhood where the young people dressed the way the members of that band you seem to like dress. :rolleyes: Of course, in that situation, my first choice as my "first line of defense" would be a six-holer with Sam Colt's name on it. :D

Do remember that Spyderco does not market these knives to the general public. They do not appear at all in the consumer catalog. If purchased new, every one of them comes with a little tag attached through the :spyder: hole warning that the knife is NOT intended for everyday use.
Paul
dani

Post by dani »

I'm also interested in a Civilian. Could anyone post a picture? A comparison next to a Police or a Military would be perfect.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

dani wrote:I'm also interested in a Civilian. Could anyone post a picture? A comparison next to a Police or a Military would be perfect.
Sure, heres a shot of the Left Hand Plain Edge Carbon Fiber versions of the Police, Civilian, and Delica...

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]

The G10 version is identical in size, the handle is just not as shiny and it comes only in right hand serrated edge.
Paul
dani

Post by dani »

The Deacon wrote:Sure, heres a shot of the Left Hand Plain Edge Carbon Fiber versions of the Police, Civilian, and Delica...
Thank you very much!
CopilotATS-55

Post by CopilotATS-55 »

the tip is the only thing stopping my dad besides he has 3 microtech otfs and 1udt (all better than bm)
Kyle Decker wasn't here !!! :D :eek:

"Avatar by Dialex
REMEMBER
SFC SHUGART & MSG GORDON

Im still here, just busy being a Senior!!! :D
PNXC

PN
Wrestling

Never Forget 9/11

VMI
10'+3
Senate

Post by Senate »

if you can afford a knife that you probably won't use, go for it. it's the most wicked design I've ever seen on a folding knife... :)
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

there is also a g10 handeled plain version in ats55, which I own

Ookami
________
400Gt Monza
Simon G

Post by Simon G »

Welcome to the forum Ookami! :D I hope you have a pleasant stay!

So, a G10 Civi, is everything else of that calibre? :D
"From this day to the ending of the world, we in it shall be remembered; we happy few; we band of brothers...for he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." -Henry V

"......and he that has no sword, let him sell his cloak and buy one." - Luke 22:36
JD Spydo

MORE COMPACT, easier to control

Post by JD Spydo »

I actually like the Matriarch better than I do the Civi. It just fits my hand better and playing with it just seems to be more coordinated and easier to control. I probably will end up playing with my Civi more in the future because the Matriarch is getting much harder to find. I consider my gray one part of the Holy Grail of my collection.

Now in a Self Defense situation I would ultimately prefer my SE Spyderhawk. A very underestimated knife and probably the most "overlooked" Spyder to ever come off the assembly line. But do try a Matriarch: I do think you will be impressed. Size is nothing to me without proper control. ;) :spyder:
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

thanks for the warm welcome Simon, but I don't think I get what your question is about... :confused:

"So, a G10 Civi, is everything else of that calibre? "

waddayamean?

my other spydies?

Ookami
________
EDSEL II
Simon G

Post by Simon G »

Ookami wrote:
waddayamean?

my other spydies?

Ookami

Sorry about that, yes, what other Spydies? Are they all "top end" like the Civi you first mentioned, or just like the rest of us lesser mortals, more towards the "bottom end"! ;)
"From this day to the ending of the world, we in it shall be remembered; we happy few; we band of brothers...for he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." -Henry V

"......and he that has no sword, let him sell his cloak and buy one." - Luke 22:36
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

thats a little off topic, I guess, but well...

I mostly go for the top end models, so I already have:

civi pe
shabaria pe
yojimbo pe
karambit pe
military pe and se
2 g10 police pe
centofante with kraton inlay se
the bigger centofante g10 pe
spyderhawk se
native pe

and I am currently edc-ing the native and the small centofante

Ookami

ps: I may have got you because I am not a native speaker, yet my English is pretty good ... :D
________
Host And Design
Tubpbs

Post by Tubpbs »

This thread is years old, but I have to ask a semi-relavent question... in terms of the picture the Deacon posted...

I am curious about the series of Sprints with the Carbon Fiber pictured above. My knowledge / gathering of information is that they made it for four of the models (Delica, Harpy, Police and Civilian). My first question is, is that correct or were there other models made of the like? My second question is, did they make the Harpy with both left and right hand models as well as the rest (I have pretty conclusive evidence that they made the other three in all four configurations (Right and Left hand, Plain Edge and Spyderedge for each).

I appreciate any information anyone has.

Thanks a lot.

-Zach
Senate

Post by Senate »

Tubpbs wrote:This thread is years old, but I have to ask a semi-relavent question... in terms of the picture the Deacon posted...

I am curious about the series of Sprints with the Carbon Fiber pictured above. My knowledge / gathering of information is that they made it for four of the models (Delica, Harpy, Police and Civilian). My first question is, is that correct or were there other models made of the like? My second question is, did they make the Harpy with both left and right hand models as well as the rest (I have pretty conclusive evidence that they made the other three in all four configurations (Right and Left hand, Plain Edge and Spyderedge for each).

I appreciate any information anyone has.

Thanks a lot.

-Zach
with that CF they also made the Dragonfly, the Ladybug and the Cricket (japan exclusive).

I don't think they did the left handed version for the Harpy, the D'fly, Ladybug or Cricket.
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The "original" CF series models were the Ladybug, Cricket, and Dragonfly. Those came only in RH and the Ladybug came only in PS while the other two came in both PE and SE. Next came the Police, Delica, and Civilian. Those were all available in all four configurations - LH and RH, PE and SE. The Harpy came much later, and was RH only PE and SE.
Paul
Tubpbs

Post by Tubpbs »

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the info.

I did about the Dragonfly, Cricket and Ladybug CF models and for some reason I just didn't connect the sets.

Thanks a lot. Beautiful knives. I'm trying to get my hands on them. :o )

-Zach