Question to Sal about the Military

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
eidah

Post by eidah »

salimoneus wrote:I would say that the only reason Sal was singled out in this case is because these questions have already been asked many many times, and have gone unanswered. I just don't feel trying to goad him into a response by calling someone out by name is the best way to go about it. They are unanswered for a reason, because either they have no new information or they just do not wish to divulge anything at this time. They will when they are ready.

Also, I never said anything about being disrespectful, it's not the same thing as distasteful, give them a quick lookup.
Again you are appointing yourself as the judge of forum taste. Next time I want to post a thread , I will send it to you for a taste test. Since we are testing taste. I think what you are doing is distasteful.

On a serious note. If my question goes unanswered, it goes an answered. Whats the big deal?
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

eidah wrote:Again you are appointing yourself as the judge of forum taste.
I am merely offering my opinion, and there is at least one other person who agrees that the thread title could have been less directed. Feel free to disagree, that's what a forum is all about: free expression and exchange.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

WMR wrote:Jack, I did a search for your "D'Arbonne" and found nothing. What is that thing? If it has been discussed here, can you post a link?
Look at the thread "generosity of the forum people here" in the "off topic" section.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... generosity
Fancier

Post by Fancier »

The United States is a fairly informal country, but not everybody is comfortable when someone addresses a person they don't know personally by their first name.
For example, I found it personally annoying when the media started calling President Clinton and the First Lady plain old "Bill and Hillary".
Some still have a preference for a more formal mode of address. Heck, I still call my mother in law by her last name!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Here you go...Sal Signal. ;)

Nate

Post by Nate »

Rofl! :)
Donut

Post by Donut »

What I like to see is someone ask a question to the forum members and get some feedback. Depending on the feedback, Sal can decide whether or not he wants to put his time into making the suggestions into production.

It's not like he can snap his fingers and make a big change like this happen. I'm sure he has to spend a LOT of time into making this sort of change.

Here's a brief outline of what I think would have to happen for this change to be put into production.

1. Outline the changes on paper.
2. Have a skilled knife maker attempt the changes on a prototype.
3. Review the prototype.
4. Have the skilled knife maker tell someone with mass production experience translate that into what the changes on the production line have to be.
5. Train the 20 people on the production line what the changes are.
6. Have quality control figure out what kind of issues these changes will create on a test run.

I think I'm leaving out the part where they find a USA supplier for the pillars. I don't think there are any Golden made models with pillars.

Now... let's say Sal spends $50,000 attempting this change and either they have trouble making the changes on any of those steps, or the customer simply doesn't like the changes and sales goes down. Then what?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Donut wrote:What I like to see is someone ask a question to the forum members and get some feedback. Depending on the feedback, Sal can decide whether or not he wants to put his time into making the suggestions into production.

It's not like he can snap his fingers and make a big change like this happen. I'm sure he has to spend a LOT of time into making this sort of change.

Here's a brief outline of what I think would have to happen for this change to be put into production.

1. Outline the changes on paper.
2. Have a skilled knife maker attempt the changes on a prototype.
3. Review the prototype.
4. Have the skilled knife maker tell someone with mass production experience translate that into what the changes on the production line have to be.
5. Train the 20 people on the production line what the changes are.
6. Have quality control figure out what kind of issues these changes will create on a test run.

I think I'm leaving out the part where they find a USA supplier for the pillars. I don't think there are any Golden made models with pillars.

Now... let's say Sal spends $50,000 attempting this change and either they have trouble making the changes on any of those steps, or the customer simply doesn't like the changes and sales goes down. Then what?
Then people like me will be whining on the forums. :D
Donut

Post by Donut »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Then people like me will be whining on the forums. :D
I guess the good thing about that is, it will be much easier to go back to the old model.

That and... if you're complaining about the changes not being made, then the master plan is working well. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Donut wrote:I don't think there are any Golden made models with pillars.
Looks to me like the paramilitary 2 has a lanyard tube, a stop pin and a pillar. But I could be getting my terminology confused.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I feel like I've seen some mods where people pull out the back-spacer and replace it with pillars. Shouldn't be that hard to do if you want it.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Eidah,

Welcome to our forum.

We've been making small changes to the Military for more than 15 years. More subtle changes that improve the model. We've had a Military 2 on the drawing board for many years. When we have enough refinements to actually create a Military 2, we'd like to. The model on the drawing board now has a "Stop-Lock". Some thoughts to share;

Making the decisions as to what we can do and what will make a difference in performance or safety.
Engineering the new model is a major project.
We're having difficulty meeting current demand in our Golden facility for all models.
All of our staff is operating at there maximum.

However, this might be an opportunity to bring it more together.

If you are interested, post all of the thoughts or improvements that you would like to see for the Military model, and your reasons for the mod.
I'll need the list compiled into one list so I can bring the concept to an R&D meeting without having to pull it all together myself (I'm pretty busy these deays).

sal
salmonkiller

Post by salmonkiller »

Thank you Mr.Glesser
This is exactly why I collect and use Spyderco knives.Good Company, good product, and good forum....
Thanks,
salmonkiller
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

I am interested in the stop lock, can anyone provide any insight or links to any thread discussing this?
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Sal signal works everytime. :D
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Does the Military have nested liners? I'm having trouble finding the answer. Works in the para military right? Or would that make the two too similar.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
eidah

Post by eidah »

Hello Sal and thanks for your reply. You are a star that will always shine. My suggestions for imrovong the military (in my opinion) are:
1- Nested spacers
2- bigger screws that dont strip as easy.
3- bigger lanyard hole
4- better shape of the Leach looking pocket clip.
5- 4 way clip
6- Maybe a slightly shorter handle
Senate

Post by Senate »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Does the Military have nested liners? I'm having trouble finding the answer. Works in the para military right? Or would that make the two too similar.
depending on the generation yes and no. it started without a liner on the front G10 slab. and later they introduced a nested mini liner to improve the strength.
you can see it here:
https://youtu.be/ne0d0fiI30o
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Here is a bit of histrory and thoughts for those that dont want to search:

Sal Glesser on Military
Lock
Good points and good discussion.

I think that it is important to "peel the onion" in making these determinations. Also one must include "time" and refinement" in analysis.

Any lock can fail. If you didn't hear it. Any lock can fail.

Locks are bits of metal cut to very close tolerances and carefully balanced heat treats. The interface area is ciritical.

Failure can occur from error, out of spec, wear (time), dirt affecting the interface, excess force, which bends or coins the interface, etc.

Locks require maintenance, attention, occasional light spine tap to check. In case you didn't hear that, light is the key word. I see many locks that have seen "death by spine-wack". Expectations are often too high in this area, in my opinion. If a light tap defeats the lock, then inspection, cleaning, etc can save the lock. Each time it defeats, it "breaks" a tiny bit more. Continual spine whacking without making a change and expecting a change is not logical. It also ruins the lock.

With that in mind.

Each lock mechanism has advantages and disadvantages. Manufactures continually refine to reduce disadvantages. Eg: We're on our 3rd lock material on our Military in 10 years. As manufacturers learn more, they improve. (time again).

The Walker linerlock has some very nice advantages; easy one hand open and close, smooth action, easy to overcome closing force for easy opening, takes up little space affording far more flexibility in design. Simplicity of concept.

disadvantages; it's difficult to make reliablle. Much attention needs to be paid to the materials and hardness of the blade material (tang) and lock interface. (This is also true of lock-backs, Axis-locks, compression-locks, E-Locks, Reeve-Integral-Locks, ball-bearing-locks, etc).

On the Military we've contually refined this area. We use an offset concave arc ramp for greater reliability. We precisely control angles and hardness of the interface materials. We've gone to dual nested liners (very close tolerance) with focus on greater ridgidity. We could go to a LAWKS like CRKT and we' ve considered it, but at this time, we would prefer to evolve the Walker Linerlock to improve reliability without the addtional parts.

Does this make it perfect? Of course not. Any lock can fail.

But with the constantly improved materials, tolerances, hardness balance, they get better and better.

This is, IMO, true of any lock.

sal

Perhaps "Practice" and "theory" are two legs on the same body, taking turns to move forward.?

Some thoughts to share on the linerlock lock up. Linerlocks are very tricky with the angles of the mating of the tang/lock as well as the hardness of each surface and inheirant qualities of the materials. It is difficult if not impossible to create the right combination that will "lock" properly with light effort and still work well with heavy effort. When one "throws" out the blade using inertia, the force at contact is very great. More oftren than not, such force will push the liner farther over or "tighter" than the light aforementioned pressure was designed for. I would guess that in such a lock up case, the blade was snapped out using inertia and the liner simply locked up too tight to easily unlock. We also found that titanium was a little "grabbier" and "bendier" than steel and even magnified the problem more. I believe that most linerlocks that are opened as designed would probably not have a problem. (assuming geometries and hardness are proper)
sal

Military Design
Gene - Thank you. The Military Model was designed to be the "state of the art" Produc tion folder of the time. We believe the 2nd generation version is that. Every one of the many parts in this model was examined and refined. We listen to all of the comments (good and some negative), but our own constant testing enforces our beliefs. We believe that nested liners are more evolved and stronger than separate liners. And more expensive to produce. (Ask for favorite custom maker how much more they will charge you to nest their "full liner" just inside the scale like Spyderco's Military). "Form", in addition to the "pins" create rigidity. It may be possible to "white knuckle" a lock release, but this hasn't happened to our knowledge. Being able to easily close the knife after hard user with gloves on was a major consideration. Any of you that have had a folder lock open and not be able to close it? It's like a chain saw that won't stop...what do you do with it? The new "SecurLok" that Frank Centofante invented is scheduled to be added to the Military Model somethime in '99. This would eliminate the fear of accidental lock release.

The Military Model was not designed as a fighting knife, nor was it designed for suit and tie carry. It was designed to be the most dependable cutting tool accessory a soldier might need while in the "bush". The handle is a little larger to afford the dual grip potential. Design is always a great discussion because there are so many points of view. eg: blades are for cutting, handles are for holding. A 2" blade specifically designed for controlled cutting loses it's ability to control if the handle is only just long enough to cover the blade. Nothing to purchase on. A scalpel is a good example of this. What is the knife designed to do. Look at? by all means, balance the sizes to apperarance, use? tougher problem here. Just one designers point of view. I have avoided responding to this thread as it was my design in question and this was a comparision type question. It would be expected that I would be biased.

sal

Design preferences make the industry interesting. Both Gayle and Ed are of the opinion that the relief is not as safe as no relief. Both are highly skilled at designing knives, making knives and cutting with them. Both are champion cutters in competition. My linerlock designs include a relief. I'm often wearing gloves and I prefer them in general. I've heard many complain about my Military and Sage linerlock designs because they feel the relief is unsafe.

Both approaches are valid. That's why we make both. For those that want a relief, it's easier to create one.

sal

Military 2 as of 2013/07/24

Hi Eidah,

Welcome to our forum.

We've been making small changes to the Military for more than 15 years. More subtle changes that improve the model. We've had a Military 2 on the drawing board for many years. When we have enough refinements to actually create a Military 2, we'd like to. The model on the drawing board now has a "Stop-Lock". Some thoughts to share;

Making the decisions as to what we can do and what will make a difference in performance or safety.
Engineering the new model is a major project.
We're having difficulty meeting current demand in our Golden facility for all models.
All of our staff is operating at there maximum.

However, this might be an opportunity to bring it more together.

If you are interested, post all of the thoughts or improvements that you would like to see for the Military model, and your reasons for the mod.
I'll need the list compiled into one list so I can bring the concept to an R&D meeting without having to pull it all together myself (I'm pretty busy these deays).

Sal

Stop lock patent:

http://www.google.com/patents/US6918184
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Haha, unfortunately that one is probably at least a year away. I'm sure there are other knives that will fit your requirements in the meantime. I'm sorry that the current iteration of the military is not to your liking but from the popularity of the model, it seems that a lot of people are fine with it. :)
I guess you're replying in general. I love my Millie.