Factory Expansion Speculation Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mattman

Factory Expansion Speculation Thread

Post by mattman »

What do you guys think the expansion of the Spyderco production facilities is going to involve? Greater capacity of the existing lines? Or do you think there will also be additional capabilities and processes brought "in-house"? If so, what might these be?

Discuss.
Holland

Post by Holland »

at first, they definitely need to use it to catch up and stabilize the demand for the current models, after that, who knows. But if i had to guess, i imagine they will continue to make more models with the added equipment
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Area 51???
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

I remember there was talk of a new process in machining the Native 5 back-lock design. I'm sure Spyderco has taken steps to purchase a new machine or two for that purpose and also taking time to train a few operators as well. There's probably further talk of how that machine can be utilized in future R&D.

As far as them increasing production dramatically, I don't really expect that to happen. I don't think it wise to flood the market with supply. Yes, the Para 2 is pretty scarce but demand for the model has reached a fever pitch within the knife community. I think it will still be some time for the demand to level out.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Expansion and increased production are words that always bother me because as you get bigger and faster there is usually more quality issues.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Indoor go-cart track, trampoline room, a festive theme-based food court!

Nah. I would speculate it's akin to everything they do, thought out and progressive. If I recall they have give/take 45 employees. An expansion could be some new equipment, half a dozen techs, and a basic remodel.

Going too big, too fast is often how companies get in trouble. This isn't Spyderco's first rodeo and I expect a relatively seamless ramping of production with few quirks.
mattman

Post by mattman »

I'm curious what processes Sal & Co. currently sub-contract, that would even make sense to bring in?

Off the top of my head, I'm guessing injection molding (Manix 2 LW scales), EDM (Native 5 lock), DLC, ...?

I can't imagine that there is enough volume required for any of these processes to justify the equipment purchases required to make that part of the expansion. My guess is more HT capacity, and more assembly tooling... basically, more of the same.... (maybe a new CNC?)
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Elves. Lots of elves.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
girlyMANN

Post by girlyMANN »

i hope it works out well for everyone over at golden.
expansion is a great sign of growth in the right direction.
a happy worker is a productive worker.
i've seen how folks loose themselves in clubs...so,
perhaps piped in music with an in-house dj throughout the facility to keep up the back orders?
and lets not forget what goes on the otherside of the world
http://hofmanphotos.com/?p=4362
Senate

Post by Senate »

they expand just to keep up with the Yo2 and Para2 demand :)
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978