price mistake??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
00max00

Post by 00max00 »

mikerestivo wrote:I agree.

Part of the problem is the competition by way of Spyderco's other offerings. There are a lot of great Spyderco choices out there, of equal quality, for lower cost. I do like Ti scales but this one is more than I would want to spend.
Misleading subject. I was thinking an online store mistakenly list something like a Military for under $50. Believe it or not, an item selling way more expensive than it looked like rarely ever been a mistake. ;)
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Popsickle wrote:I love everything that has been put out from Taiwan. The fit and finish is always great
Amen and amen.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Sithus1966 wrote:I am thinking this will be the "discontinued for lack of sales" knife in the future. Or they just won't make many.
In which case, there may be steeply discounted closeouts. :spyder:
GTPowers

Post by GTPowers »

My guess is that the Spyderco crowd folk here on this forum aren't used to seeing custom knife prices...
People pay this kind of price for similarly "engineered" works.
-GT
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The Deacon wrote:Can't say I've seen any statements regarding origin. IMHO, we'd be hearing the same "It's nice, but it's not for me" comments if it was a Caly 3 or Native V using the exact same materials and at the exact same price point. The price tag, on the other hand, is obviously going to limit this version's appeal. The price, in turn, will mean the knife's "looks" will become the make or break factor for those who can afford it. Heck, I'm a major fan of the Chaparral platform, have great respect for the craftsmanship of the folks in Taichung, and would cheerfully pay the Chaparral III's MSRP or more for a Chaparral with smooth steel bolsters, attractive wood scales, and an Odin's Eye Damasteel blade. However, titanium handled knives aren't really my cup of tea, so paying that kind of money for one, especially when a Chaparral that I find more attractive is available for roughly 1/3 the price, is something I'd have to think long and hard about, so I can see why it may give others pause.
The irony is I like this Chaparral the best of any yet. I really like the geometric patterns, but I wish the knife had more to offer for the listed price. I understand machining costs and they are what they are, but as Deacon stated a damascus patterned blade could make that price-point easier to digest.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
mattman

Post by mattman »

GTPowers wrote:My guess is that the Spyderco crowd folk here on this forum aren't used to seeing custom knife prices...
People pay this kind of price for similarly "engineered" works.
-GT
I think we're all a little spoiled by the value we get from the majority of Spydercos lineup...

if Mr. Sal wants to make a "statement piece", I applaud the effort, and await the release of this model. Hopefully I'll get to handle one before I decide to plunk the coin, but either way, I don't have a problem with it. I trust that the price reflects the normal price/cost structuring that Spyderco generally follows. If it takes machine time to produce the knife that has Sals mark on the blade, then it is what it is, and I'll withhold further speculation til I get to inspect a production model.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Spyderco does offer incredible value again and again to be sure. I also find this one pricey but the real issue for me is I am not that crazy about the design of this particular model to begin with. Fortunately for me that means I won't have to stress over not being able to afford it.
Kihlo7

Post by Kihlo7 »

Yeah ill have to pass on this one but if someone wants to give me one...im not going to say no =)
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The price is what it is. For me, the design and materials are just too close to the $179 Chaparral 2 to make it seem special enough to justify the large price jump. Machine time cost is an abstract concept for many. But, if it had mammoth ivory and damascus, for example, the price would be more justifiable (IMO). Or, if there were no Chap 2, the Chap 3 might seem much more special.

Anyway, I hope those who really like the design manage to get one and enjoy it.
:bug-red-white
cckw

Post by cckw »

First off, I'm not getting one. However, I think you all are over reacting. A cool new option came along and they tried it. It may work out in sales or may not. But why are you piling on with the negativity when they are trying something new? Isn't that what you all generally brag about with Spyderco? I suppose if you are a collector club guy that gives a different perspective since you have to buy one, but the rest of us do not. This knife has nothing to do with the details of any other model
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

Options are good, but this option isn't for me.

However, I'm certain that it will be well crafted.
"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."
"Measure for Measure"
-W. Shakespeare
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Look at Titanium handled knives in comparison to their alternatives. The sad truth is that titanium is expensive. Also, the more exotic the handle, the higher the price point. To use the Native 5 as an example, compare the G-10 model to the fluted titanium, the Ti is roughly twice the price. If anyone still has pricing for it, look at the old SS ATR and the Ti version. Huge price difference. There's a reason most custom knives are priced so high, many knifemakers use titanium.

This is a CNC machined Titanium handle, not a flat slab. CNC machining is not cheap, and Titanium's galling properties would likely make it more difficult to work with I would assume.

Short response, is it expensive? Yes. Is it justified? Yes. Out of many people's price range, yes, but that doesn't make the pricing wrong.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

cckw wrote:First off, I'm not getting one. However, I think you all are over reacting. A cool new option came along and they tried it. It may work out in sales or may not. But why are you piling on with the negativity when they are trying something new? Isn't that what you all generally brag about with Spyderco? I suppose if you are a collector club guy that gives a different perspective since you have to buy one, but the rest of us do not. This knife has nothing to do with the details of any other model
I don't really see anybody over reacting or a piling on of negativity. Most people are just surprised by the high price and seem to think that it is more than they would pay. I fall into this category. I like the knife and think it's attractive, but at the price Spyderco has to charge for it to make business sense, I'd just as soon put my money towards a custom.
JNewell wrote:I can hear the crowd warming up with the "we hate Taiwan, everything is overpriced" chorus... :(
You mean the imaginary crowd in your head? Because the imaginary crowd in my head likes the Spydercos coming out of Taiwan and seems to think that most Spyderco knives are priced quite reasonably.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Spyder-fan

Post by Spyder-fan »

To each their own but I have a feeling these won't be flying off the shelves.
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

Interesting read. I really like the first CF Chaparral. I am happy to see the line sticking around for a while. Just tell me which one of these geometric shapes I have to push that will transform the blade into something besides a Chaparral and I may bite at this price point. ;)
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

JNewell wrote:I can hear the crowd warming up with the "we hate Taiwan, everything is overpriced" chorus... :(
Not here, I think the knives coming out of Taiwan are top notch. Just ordered a second CF Chap with XHP, also recently ordered a second Gayle Bradley M4 (what a beast of a knife, LOVE it!), then there's the Sage Ti, and list goes on...

I just think this one is going to be a swing and a miss, but please don't let that stop you or anyone else from enjoying one.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Considering the recent reports of CF/S90V PM2's going for $800 on ebay, I think if the quality is there, some people will buy it.
My favorite knives tend to be a bit larger, like the Military and Manix-2, yet I always also carry smaller knives. I have both current Chaparral models, and may well end up buying this one too. Just might need to take a sack lunch to work for a few weeks instead of eating out, to save the money.

I wonder if they built into the price an allowance for scrapping a higher percentage of scales, while they get the production ironed out. Didn't they have issues producing the fluted Ti handles for the military? Issues with warping while flame-annodizing them or something, the reason they are so scarce?

As far as quality from Taiwan, I think most folks here hold them in very high regard. I've been very happy with the quality from all of my Taiwan-made spydies. (OK, I've been happy with the quality of nearly ALL of my spydies regardless of origin :D . But particularly happy with the Taiwan ones.)
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I believe the cost is 100% justifiable. I say that out of the trust I think Spyderco deserves based on it's history of knife quality, competative pricing and about everything else about the company I'm aware of. I have no idea of manufacturing cost of any of their knives. I haven't heard anyone freak out when anyone mentions other folders that are priced between $300 and $500 normally. There are several. I've never seen one of the knives I'm thinking of but others have and marvel at the workmanship but don't seem to think the price is rediculous. Too high for a given budget, too high based on the knife in question just not appealing to an individual or just too high for a pocket knife period. I'm sure there are millionaires out there that don't care about knives and would be just as happy with any old folder. But they would easily pay $12,000 for a watch. It's all a personal thing.

I won't be getting a Chaparral III because I can't afford it, I can't justify the amount for a knife or any way you want to say I will not pay for it because of the price. If I had a lot of money I'd buy one if I want it. I believe the Chaparral III is worth $361 just as much as a Delica is worth $60 or whatever they are going for now.

I congratulate Spyderco for making a knife that costs this much. Compared to other brands Spyderco's average price is extremely competative IMO. The brands I've experienced that the price is consistantly lower then Spyderco's models are of lesser quality as well in my opinion which is limited by a lack of knowledge of the real intricacies of knife making.

I don't see the price of the Chaparral III as any indication of Spyderco changing it's direction in it's products. Adding to the variety? I'll buy that. They have Spyderco knives. They have byrd knives. They have the value line. Why not have a selection of knives that shock some of our wallets? I have no problem with this or hard feelings about them selling knives that I can't afford. If I were upset every time a knife is released that I can't afford I'd sure be one upset individual. I've seen knives that cost more than my car. My car is a 1972 blue Ford Pinto. :) Not really. :D

Jack
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Well said jack.

My op was more shock and not an attempt in any way to put spyderco down. I have several customs, high end production knives, etc at home and I always find my way back to a spydie :) .

There were lots of great points in the thread from different views.... And yes maybe we are spoiled lol.

jackknifeh wrote:I believe the cost is 100% justifiable. I say that out of the trust I think Spyderco deserves based on it's history of knife quality, competative pricing and about everything else about the company I'm aware of. I have no idea of manufacturing cost of any of their knives. I haven't heard anyone freak out when anyone mentions other folders that are priced between $300 and $500 normally. There are several. I've never seen one of the knives I'm thinking of but others have and marvel at the workmanship but don't seem to think the price is rediculous. Too high for a given budget, too high based on the knife in question just not appealing to an individual or just too high for a pocket knife period. I'm sure there are millionaires out there that don't care about knives and would be just as happy with any old folder. But they would easily pay $12,000 for a watch. It's all a personal thing.

I won't be getting a Chaparral III because I can't afford it, I can't justify the amount for a knife or any way you want to say I will not pay for it because of the price. If I had a lot of money I'd buy one if I want it. I believe the Chaparral III is worth $361 just as much as a Delica is worth $60 or whatever they are going for now.

I congratulate Spyderco for making a knife that costs this much. Compared to other brands Spyderco's average price is extremely competative IMO. The brands I've experienced that the price is consistantly lower then Spyderco's models are of lesser quality as well in my opinion which is limited by a lack of knowledge of the real intricacies of knife making.

I don't see the price of the Chaparral III as any indication of Spyderco changing it's direction in it's products. Adding to the variety? I'll buy that. They have Spyderco knives. They have byrd knives. They have the value line. Why not have a selection of knives that shock some of our wallets? I have no problem with this or hard feelings about them selling knives that I can't afford. If I were upset every time a knife is released that I can't afford I'd sure be one upset individual. I've seen knives that cost more than my car. My car is a 1972 blue Ford Pinto. :) Not really. :D

Jack
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

I think the chaparral is a fantastic blade but wt this price point I would have expected a little more exotic steel like s90v. XHP is no slouch by any means