Hawkbill or Cricket?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GreatSyxsuke

Hawkbill or Cricket?

Post by GreatSyxsuke »

Today I discovered the awesome power of the SpyderEdge. Previous knives I owned with serrations were okay at best, usually catching at some part of the cut and tearing the material. While slicing a canvas today off the printer at work using my Delica, I tried the SpyderEdge and it slid right through like a knife through butter.

So I want to get a full SpyderEdge blade but I'm trying to avoid just getting a straight blade with the SE. I have narrowed it down to a Hawkbill or the Cricket. Here's my criteria for what I need it for: cutting open and breaking down cardboard boxes (on a good day, maybe a total of twenty) and cutting artist's canvas off a roll (not that heavy of a stock).

I was thinking the Cricket except I'm not sure about stainless since I had to return a Flight due to the sharp edges and I didn't like how slippy it could be with sweaty hands. I also would prefer a clip so I'm leaning away from the Ladybug hawkbill. Lastly, I don't work in an environment that is going to expose the blade to water so I'm not sure if a Salt is needed either. I'm not against H1, just don't want to buy it if it's going to be more and not be needed.

Any advice is appreciated and suggestions of a different knife are welcome as well. Thanks!

Syxsuke
Current carry: Spyderco Squeak or Spyderco Pingo (Back right pocket), Paramilitary 2 Black G10 (front right pocket)

Future wants: Karahawk

"It's far better to carry and never need than to not carry and desperately need."
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

This:

You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

Here's mine that I swapped the scales out with a blue delica. Swapped the black clip for a silver one too. The photo is terrible, but you get the idea.

You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I would lean towards the Lil Matriarch as well or maybe a Tasman SE. The handle on the Cricket for heavy use will not be nearly as comfortable and the shorter blade will dull faster (while still slower than many other knives).
GreatSyxsuke

Post by GreatSyxsuke »

Seems like the Lil Matriarch is a favorite. I overlooked that for some reason, no idea. It looks like I may end up with one.

Blake: Out of curiousity, what would the Tasman SE offer that the Lil Matriarch doesn't, besides blade shape and H1 steel?
Current carry: Spyderco Squeak or Spyderco Pingo (Back right pocket), Paramilitary 2 Black G10 (front right pocket)

"It's far better to carry and never need than to not carry and desperately need."
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

GreatSyxsuke wrote:Seems like the Lil Matriarch is a favorite. I overlooked that for some reason, no idea. It looks like I may end up with one.

Blake: Out of curiousity, what would the Tasman SE offer that the Lil Matriarch doesn't, besides blade shape and H1 steel?
Nothing really. The lil' Matriarch offers a 4-way clip, Screw-together construction and better (IMO) ergonomics. the only difference is the tasman is 2oz. when the lil matriarch is 2.5oz.
Relentless Perseverance in the Face of a Lightless Sky.

Joshua 1:9b "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go"
GreatSyxsuke

Post by GreatSyxsuke »

Seems like the Lil Matriarch is a favorite. I overlooked that for some reason, no idea. It looks like I may end up with one.

endgame

Post by endgame »

Chricket love that little guy
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

hiredgun wrote:This:

I would second or third or whatever this one!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

GreatSyxsuke wrote:Seems like the Lil Matriarch is a favorite. I overlooked that for some reason, no idea. It looks like I may end up with one.

Knivesinedc said most all of it for me :) .

The Tasman is great and serrated H1 really holds an edge. Serrated VG10 is no slouch though and I think the perks of being the Delica4 platform (bi-directional texturing instead of volcano grip, 4-way clip, liners, etc) make up for it. It has a tad less flex, has a slightly more refined clip, and feels better in my hand for the little weight disadvantage.

Really though they are both hard workers and should serve you well. Just remember that tip will dig in HARD so make sure it's not grabbing things like staples.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Blerv wrote:The Tasman is great and serrated H1 really holds an edge.
This is the main driver for me. Tasman SE holds that edge forever!

Ken
玉鋼
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

kbuzbee wrote:This is the main driver for me. Tasman SE holds that edge forever!

Ken
Yea if simply used as a tool the Tasman SE is very tough to beat. :)
GreatSyxsuke

Post by GreatSyxsuke »

Great, now I'm torn :) I like how the Lil Matriarch has the Delica handles and the shape is pretty cool. But I don't have a sharpening system so the Tasman might be better if H1 holds its edge longer. Also is it worth the extra bit on money for the full size Matriarch over the Lil Matriarch? I might just have to get a Tasman AND a (Lil) Matriarch :)

O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

GreatSyxsuke wrote:Great, now I'm torn :) I might just have to get a Tasman AND a (Lil) Matriarch :)
Yes, this is the thing to do :)
O.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Tasman is quite sturdy and will hold up to semi-abuse. Have not owned a mini Matriarch, but that tip looks a bit thin for heavy use. On the flip side, I find VG-10 to outlast H-1 before I need to sharpen, and serrated only increases the time between sharpenings.

I feel like I didn't help you choose at all. Just don't the standard route and get both :cool:
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
GreatSyxsuke

Post by GreatSyxsuke »

After some thought, I will most likely be going with a Matriarch. Is the extra $5 or $6 worth it to get the Matriarch over the Lil one? Obviously the handles are Endura-sized vs Delica-sized but does the blade length difference really change the cutting power? Most of the boxes I deal with are medium size, very few in the refrigerator box size.

endgame

Post by endgame »

If
endgame

Post by endgame »

If you think the cricket is to small get the dodo.fits hand better then all of them with the reverse s like the cricket. On the matriark the long blade catches things inside the boxes trust me.the cricket stays shallow it also cuts better.the hawkbills are made to slash and tear the cricket if for utility cutting.the dodo would be a perfect fit.I am a chef at wegmans supermarket I Carry the cricket in my top pocket and I amcutting all day.what I did was get a piece of skateboard griptape and added dots of it on the ss scales :p erfect.I have a dodo in my right pocket but I never use it cause the cricket is fine and doesn't hurt my hands.tried the matriark for a day: scared employees and was all over the place when cutting boxes. Also the plastic covered foam packing sheets would get cought on the tip and pull threw the cut.and watch out you don't have you're legs under the box or you will slashem cause the blade sticks out far from the cut.