Any chance for a change in G10 pattern?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

I think the texture of a knife handle is a pretty personal thing. What I consider rough, another may consider a wet eel, and vice versa. As mentioned before however, it comes down to cost effectiveness in the end. That being said, I remember when G-10 was only used on the high end models, and FRN was the go-to handle material. Public pressure for more G-10 models was persistent though, and now we have G-10 on significantly more knives. If enough of the market wants it, they will get it, it will just take time.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Jay_Ev wrote:The texture and / or pattern of my green Para2 isn't any different than my other Para's, in looks or feel. Perhaps mine is from a different batch or something.
I would say the same, but I admit that I didn't get out a ruler and count lines. :)
Mutt

Post by Mutt »

Don't forget the textured G10 that's on the new forum knife. (When it gets here) It's one of the features of that knife that I'm most looking forward to.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Aestheticically the Spyderco peel-ply g10 is pretty "meh". Not sure if it would be too harsh in hand but I would prefer a grid pattern or cross-hatched approach.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Evil D wrote:In the same way I would also agree and like to see more polished G10, but NOT on a flat scale like is typically used. It would have to be a rounded/contoured scale for it to look right IMO. If the Para 2's scales were contoured like the Vallotton or a ZT's scales, then polishing them would be pretty awesome too. I guess I'm just bored with every G10 scale having the exact same finish. ANY kind of variety would be a welcome change. At least with the old FRN patterns they changed from time to time.
In addition to be bored with the same G10 finish on all knives I really prefer smooth. Slightly rounded even much better. One of our contractors is carrying BM Tanto Barrage. I am not crazy about knife, but I like scales a lot. they are not even G10, valox, still looks fine
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Jay_Ev wrote:Spyderco used a different texture G-10 on one of the Manix2 sprint runs a while back. In terms of grip, it was sort of in-between the Kershaw Leek posted above and the standard G-10 that Spyderco uses. In my opinion, Spyderco should switch to that and use it as their standard G-10. The G-10 Spyderco uses seems to lose its grip over time.
FCM415 wrote:Yeah the black manix2 bd30p sprint had a more aggressive texture. I liked it when I had it.
Agreed, the rougher texture on the Manix 2 sprint was just aggressive enough. I was also pleased with the Southard's G-10 texture.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

xceptnl wrote:Agreed, the rougher texture on the Manix 2 sprint was just aggressive enough. I was also pleased with the Southard's G-10 texture.
The blue M390 Para2 was the same or very close.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

JNewell wrote:The blue M390 Para2 was the same or very close.
My Blue Para2 has a different texture on each side of the handle.
Untitled by senorsquare, on Flickr
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

senorsquare wrote:My Blue Para2 has a different texture on each side of the handle.
I love how dark that blue has turned, very nice.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

That's wild. I have two, and both have the coarse texture G10.

Wasn't there an auto company exec back in the 50s who said that the left and right sides of the vehicle didn't have to match, because you can only see one side at a time? :rolleyes: ;)
senorsquare wrote:My Blue Para2 has a different texture on each side of the handle.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Whoa noticeable different texture on the blue Para2 scales...

Xceptnl, yeah my Southard has a more aggressive texturing close but not quite as rough as the Bd30 Manix2.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
Clip

Post by Clip »

My blue P2 looks like the lower picture, both sides I believe. Brown one as well. The gray one is noticeably smoother though.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris