How many Spydies do you own?/Ever forget about one and get excited to "refind" it?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Student

Post by The Student »

I feel like I do this every summer/winter. I tend to carry smaller in the summer and when I start carrying my D'fly or Dodo again I am always so impressed by them. Same thing happens in the winter when I go back to my larger knives.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

DRKBC wrote:I heard in Alberta that people display their knives in their living rooms in a block of ice, is that true? That would only be for the winter I am sure, I hear it warms up for a couple of weeks some tome around the end of July beginning of August.
:) We have 3 months of intense heat and 9 cold and windy ones. What else are ya gonna use in an igloo?
- best wishes, Jazz.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

d.2.the.p wrote:I hear you. It made me feel way too consumerist. To be honest, I could stand to part with at least a third if not half of them. I think that will be happening very soon.
IMO you are in a great position. I was in the same position a year or two ago. I had a bunch (for me) of knives and didnt' even carry some of them even though I really loved them as does everyone else it seems. Example would be the blue Stretch with ZDP-189. Loved this knife but never carried it and never could figure out why. Anyway, since I don't want to "collect" knives I used the knives I didn't use to sell and/or trade to get some new ones to try. This way even though I lost money compared to what I spent I ended up with a bunch of new knives over time to try out. Then I have sold/traded or kept them. So now I have 8-10 knives that I really love and don't want to get rid of ever. And, I haven't spent much money in the past year or two to get new knives. This hasn't been the most financialy beneficial thing but if "financial" was a big concern I wouln't have ended up with 20-30 knives to begin with. It has been fun also trying out different knives. :D

Anyway, during my buying/selling/trading I have found a few knives I had forgotten about. This is really a great feeling that's hard for someone to really understand unless they have a hobby like this. I bet people who collect cars have this happen. They get excited when they "find" the Lamborgini they forgot they had. :D
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Jazz wrote: :) We have 3 months of intense heat and 9 cold and windy ones. What else are ya gonna use in an igloo?
I grew up there but I have been in BC for a long time now. Hey, if you don't have an economy at least you pull the weather card.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I have about 15 and we have had a few unexpected expenses that may keep me on the side lines for a while. Still I feel pretty content with that number. I try to only buy if it is completely different than anything else I own, but I can sound a bit like a politician when I am justifying a new purchase. I don't feel to bad about it, there are worse habits.