Am I the only one who isn't a fan of VG-10?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cckw

Post by cckw »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Haha, I just wanted to know what your experience was and my panties are now in a wad? Are you this defensive all the time?

I guess I was spot on then. You view difference of opinion as a dogpile. ;)

I think what you meant to say was: OK sorry I guess I did word that a bit aggressively. But I am really fond of VG10 and don't understand when others aren't as much. But you can prefer whatever steel you want. I was just curious about why, but I guess you kinda eluded to your preferences in your first post when you told what steels you prefer.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

cckw wrote:I think what you meant to say was: OK sorry I guess I did word that a bit aggressively. But I am really fond of VG10 and don't understand when others aren't as much. But you can prefer whatever steel you want. I was just curious about why, but I guess you kinda eluded to your preferences in your first post when you told what steels you prefer.
Nope, I posted what I really meant to say. It's your problem if you take it badly. But you still didn't answer.
cckw

Post by cckw »

I never said or implied there was an event or whatever you are asking me to tell you about. I am a fan of D2, S30V and Not VG10. No matter how much you like VG10 you are not going to prove to me that I made a mistake by preferring something else. But as with the last time I am sorry I posted anything about it.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

cckw wrote:I never said or implied there was an event or whatever you are asking me to tell you about. I am a fan of D2, S30V and Not VG10. No matter how much you like VG10 you are not going to prove to me that I made a mistake by preferring something else. But as with the last time I am sorry I posted anything about it.
Yep, I kinda thought it was just something you came up with since you obviously can't point to something that you specifically don't like about VG-10. There are quite a few steels I like better than VG-10 but I don't just "prefer" something else without a specific reason except for prejudice. Most knife users who have steel preferrences usually have some reason. They don't just pull their preferrences out of their a**. ;)

But if you're one of those...well...(shrugs)...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

As a side-note for people who love or hate VG10 (or anything), it's perfectly acceptable to say: "I don't know why".

It's not the same thing as apologizing. It just is admitting bias which may or may-not be backed by anything tangible. IMHO, admitting you don't know something is quite liberating. At least you can analyze your beliefs and the new data separating fact from fiction.

When it comes to metallurgy most of us have a very rudimentary knowledge. Otherwise we would be well known metallurgists instead of our current professions. I certainly could make more money that way. :p
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Very good points Blerv.
rurouni

Post by rurouni »

This thread is kind of a long read by now but I thought I'd give my 2 cents. I can't claim to be very systematic about testing my knives but I have noticed that factory edges do seem to suffer from something or other. I can't remember ever chipping a VG-10 edge. One of the big pluses of :spyder: VG-10 seems to be good value.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

rurouni wrote:This thread is kind of a long read by now but I thought I'd give my 2 cents. I can't claim to be very systematic about testing my knives but I have noticed that factory edges do seem to suffer from something or other. I can't remember ever chipping a VG-10 edge. One of the big pluses of :spyder: VG-10 seems to be good value.
Opinions are always welcome. :)
Stainz

Post by Stainz »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Opinions are always welcome. :)
Being a bit disingenuous here, aren't you? Reading your curt replies to those of us whose opinion on VG-10 is in disagreement with your opinion certainly indicates that is the case.

Stainz
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Opinions I've heard are that people who like vg10 don't like spydercos vg10. Not sure why but that's the general idea I get.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Just read a lot more of this thread and I agree with chuck.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I like VG-10. My guess is that since my Caly3 in VG-10 was the first high-end Spyderco I bought and used, I likely associate the steel employed in its blade with quality and high performance in general. I can get VG-10 nice and sharp, it holds an edge for longer than I need it to, and the "watery" effect of the steel just looks cool. Of course, my previous Spyderco that I EDC'd for seven years used ATS-55 and I also like that steel, so maybe I just am not too picky about my steels?

On the other side of the coin, I've got the XHP Manix 2. It seems that people rave about CTS-XHP. I think it's all right, but nothing too exciting. If I could get a knife in VG-10 or XHP, I wouldn't care in the least which steel I got. They're both fine steels. VG-10 is fine. S30V is fine. XHP is fine. ATS-55 is fine. Maybe if I pushed my knives harder, I'd start to see the differences between these steels. But as it is, they get the job done and I can sharpen any of the steels to shaving sharp whenever they need it.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I don't like VG 10 because it is too **** good at everything.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Stainz wrote:Being a bit disingenuous here, aren't you? Reading your curt replies to those of us whose opinion on VG-10 is in disagreement with your opinion certainly indicates that is the case.

Stainz

Not really, opinions are welcome most especially when there's a nice anecdote that can be discussed. Just ssying "I don't like such and such" is just a step away from "that steel sucks". Notice how I posted how much I was able to cut with no edge damage in response to the OP?

Nothing wrong with expressing preference, but what's up with getting pissed when asked to elaborate? I get the suspicion that it's annoying to have explain why when you don't really have good reasons. If you can't stand being asked to explain your opinions, maybe you should run for office. :p
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

SolidState wrote:I don't like VG 10 because it is too **** good at everything.
Darn, that's one argument I don't have an answer for. :)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Popsickle wrote:Just read a lot more of this thread and I agree with chuck.
Thanks pops.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Nothing wrong with expressing preference, but what's up with getting pissed when asked to elaborate?
Exactly.

As a side-note, threads like this are confusing. It reminds me of the ones about upgrading from BD1 or 8Cr13Mov. These steels don't have polarizing qualities and are economically friendly (cost). Usually the OP doesn't outline the perceived problems or suggest an alternative that would be an answer.

Frankly if you replaced the steel of discussion with s90v, ZDP-189, Superblue, etc it would be FAR easier to discuss. These steels have character quirks like the Adams Family. Some are more costly, more brittle, require a more advanced clientele, or simply rust if looked at wrong.

Every time I read/watch a review from Cliff or Jim on something like an Endura in vg10 or a Military in s30v there are more questions about why such the push for the obscure. It's understandable wanting a sprint to experience something different; I mean the people who "want something much better" without explaining what "better" means.
Sharktooth

Post by Sharktooth »

A Spyderedge with VG-10 is a beast! And in PE, VG-10 at 30deg with 40deg micro-bevel has always worked well for me on dirty, stony, double corrugated cardboard, with no chipping.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Blerv wrote:Frankly if you replaced the steel of discussion with s90v, ZDP-189, Superblue, etc it would be FAR easier to discuss. These steels have character quirks like the Adams Family. Some are more costly, more brittle, require a more advanced clientele, or simply rust if looked at wrong.
But these "quirks" alongside their strengths make them fun. ;) S30V and VG10 are terrific all around steels. But they don't push the envelope.

Ken
玉鋼
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'm not saying they aren't :) . Exotics are awesome but fit more into the luxury than necessity realm.

Performance just tends to increase disproportionate to price. Demand isn't as easy to plan. You can buy one M390 Para2 for the price of two normal ones yet this didn't stop the sale. On the other end the disadvantages of switching to AUS6 as the VG10 replacement would have more severe customer backlash than the savings.

I'm still curious to what people want to replace vg10 with. Although, if someone says s30v I'll scream and point to a globe :p .