Question for Chaparral owners

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
joe58

Question for Chaparral owners

Post by joe58 »

I'm looking at picking up a Chaparral but cannot decide between the Ti scaled or the CF.

I'm familiar with the S30v used in the CF, but not the steel used on the Ti model. Can someone tell me what it would rate similar to?

Is is stainless? I was surprised to read in another post that the Super blue isn't. Or was that wrong?

And, are the Ti scales still a bit rough feeling as on my Sage Ti? I don't want them to be polished smooth so there is no grip. Hope you are getting what I mean there but I don't know how to phrase it.

And the design they put on the Ti scales. Ok or something they could have done without?

Thanks a lot guys!

Joe
Donut

Post by Donut »

XHP was created to be a Stainless version of D2. I believe it has enough Chrome added to make it classify has Stainless.

People have reported it to be stainless similar to 440c and act "Like VG-10 on steroids." Ankerson ranks it one wear resistance class higher than S30V.

The scales on the Titanium Chap are pretty smooth, but they have angles up and down. It feels similar to the textured CF, but much less vertical rise and fall.

I think the pattern looks nice.

If you take a look at the new catalog, it says the Carbon Fiber Chaparral steel is XHP. The Carbon Fiber one is going to move to having XHP as the steel as well. That is another option for you, wait for the Carbon Fiber one to move to XHP.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
joe58

Post by joe58 »

Hi Donut, thanks for the quick response.

I like the Ti scales probably better than I would the CF version. My concerns on the scales and steel I guess were my sticking points. But if the blade rates with VG-10, that's fine with me. Looking like the Ti version will win out I'm thinking.

Joe
ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS »

Can't go wrong with the Chap, one of my top favorites. The CF is like that on the Sage 1.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

IMHO, the CF Chaparral is one of the five best knives Spyderco has ever offered.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS »

The Deacon wrote:IMHO, the CF Chaparral is one of the five best knives Spyderco has ever offered.
Agreed.
jldc

Post by jldc »

I like the CF better. The Ti scales are beautiful but scuff easily. The CF shows less light wear, but MIGHT take less abuse. No mistake with either one, though. Both are among my favorite Spydercos.

L
arty

Post by arty »

I liked my CF Chaparral so much that I got a second one. I have one in my pocket right now...great knife.
joe58

Post by joe58 »

You guys are killin' me..........I'm going to end up wanting both of them aren't I?

What's with this Spyder disease...lethal on checking accounts! :)

Joe
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

The Deacon wrote:IMHO, the CF Chaparral is one of the five best knives Spyderco has ever offered.
Deacon, curious what your other four choices would be.

Tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS »

I think this knife is so much better with the clip removed. Would be curious how many do the same.
Donut

Post by Donut »

If I was you, I'd wait for the XHP Carbon Fiber version and get that. See if you really had to have the Titanium version.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Zeabed

Post by Zeabed »

I would agree with the Chap being one of the top spydie designs. But am also curious as to the other four.
arty

Post by arty »

I remove the clip on most of my knives.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

tr4022 wrote:Deacon, curious what your other four choices would be.

Tod
FRN/VG-10 Stretch, Jigged Bone Kiwi, K05 Utility Knife, and burgundy micarta Jester.
ViperGTS wrote:I think this knife is so much better with the clip removed. Would be curious how many do the same.
Clip came off mine a few hours after it arrived and has been off ever since.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I prefer the CF Chaparral. It's just more practical to carry and use (IMO), and will have XHP steel too.
:bug-red-white
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

I cant choose, but I kept my Ti one and gave my gf the CF one because I wanted the XHP and the Ti looks pretty nice :)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

razorsharp wrote:I cant choose, but I kept my Ti one and gave my gf the CF one because I wanted the XHP and the Ti looks pretty nice :)
I would have swapped the blades and kept the CF/XHP. ;)
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I would have swapped the blades and kept the CF/XHP. ;)
thats a good idea hehe, but ill keep the more premiumerer handle :)
Cricket Bite

Post by Cricket Bite »

Donut wrote:If I was you, I'd wait for the XHP Carbon Fiber version and get that. See if you really had to have the Titanium version.
Any idea when the CF XHP will be released. Will there be a price bump? Is the upgrade in steal worth the wait and possible extra money?
I’ve come to conclude that Fettucini Alfredo is just Mac-and-Cheese for food snobs.
— Neil deGrasse Tyson