Just got a Manix 2 M4, lets talk about patinas

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vinito

Post by vinito »

Didn't leave it long enough and there might of been some Tuf glide on the blade. I'm gonna get another lemon and try again.
Knives!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Does anyone know if something like Tarnex will remove the patina with little effort? Seems like it would..
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Evil D wrote:Does anyone know if something like Tarnex will remove the patina with little effort? Seems like it would..
I would think so. I actually polished one off of my Caly 3.5 SB using my strop loaded with black compound
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
vinito

Post by vinito »

Round 2
Knives!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Love the dye job on the scales, nice work.
thurin

Post by thurin »

I really like the patinas I'm seeing here. And the dye job on the scales looks cool Evil D. Trying to decide if I want to force a patina on my SB Caly 3 or just let it come naturally. I've been keeping it coated in mineral oil for the time being.
vinito

Post by vinito »

It sorta looks like Damascus.
Knives!
vinito

Post by vinito »

Found some misinformation in the edge-u-cation sheet. "4 way reversible clip"
Knives!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wow, already starting to see some spots of what looks like rust...doesn't wipe off easily so I brushed the blade again to get rid of it and oiled it with mineral oil. I'm gonna order some tuf-glide and probably won't carry it again until I get some. I haven't used it for any wet jobs so it must just be from body sweat from carrying it in my pocket.

Aside from that, I'm blown away by this steel. It holds a shaving edge longer than any steel I've ever used. Yesterday I used it at work, and after work I was siting around and saw one of my GF's hairs on my shirt, and sure enough it was still sharp enough to whittle hair...which to me is absolutely shocking after a day of cutting cardboard (I will say though, it was a pretty easy day but i still made ~20+ cuts). I'm also VERY happy with how easy it is to sharpen. Aside from the rust issue, it almost seems like the perfect EDC steel...holds a wicked edge for a long time and is easy to sharpen.

As for the Tuf-Glide, those who have used it, how often do you have to use it? I can't imagine it's good for food prep right? Does it go on a dry or stay wet?
~David
vinito

Post by vinito »

Evil D wrote:Wow, already starting to see some spots of what looks like rust...doesn't wipe off easily so I brushed the blade again to get rid of it and oiled it with mineral oil. I'm gonna order some tuf-glide and probably won't carry it again until I get some. I haven't used it for any wet jobs so it must just be from body sweat from carrying it in my pocket.

Aside from that, I'm blown away by this steel. It holds a shaving edge longer than any steel I've ever used. Yesterday I used it at work, and after work I was siting around and saw one of my GF's hairs on my shirt, and sure enough it was still sharp enough to whittle hair...which to me is absolutely shocking after a day of cutting cardboard (I will say though, it was a pretty easy day but i still made ~20+ cuts). I'm also VERY happy with how easy it is to sharpen. Aside from the rust issue, it almost seems like the perfect EDC steel...holds a wicked edge for a long time and is easy to sharpen.

As for the Tuf-Glide, those who have used it, how often do you have to use it? I can't imagine it's good for food prep right? Does it go on a dry or stay wet?
Tuf-Glide goes on wet and then then dries. I wouldn't use it food even though it's non-toxic, it would probably leave an odd taste behind on your food. Reapply once a month I believe? With patina, probably less.
Knives!
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Hey, Evil. Vinito is right about the "apply wet and let it dry" approach. It leaves a thin film coating that lasts days or weeks, depending on your usage. Heavy use of the blade, or use on abrasive stuff would necessitate that you recoat it more frequently. My Bradley Air gets a quick coating every couple of months - but it sees only EDC duty. My M4 Mule gets used quite a bit more roughly and I generally recoat it after I wash it up just to be safe. TufGlide is great stuff...

TedP
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Evil D wrote:I'm blown away by this steel. It holds a shaving edge longer than any steel I've ever used. Yesterday I used it at work, and after work I was siting around and saw one of my GF's hairs on my shirt, and sure enough it was still sharp enough to whittle hair...which to me is absolutely shocking after a day of cutting cardboard (I will say though, it was a pretty easy day but i still made ~20+ cuts). I'm also VERY happy with how easy it is to sharpen.
Welcome to M4, David. The quality of the edge and how long it lasts make this steel really special. I've read lots of cutting tests showing this steel or that doing better but my experience says M4 is top of the pile, for what I cut and my preferences.

I agree with the advice on Tuf Glide. Depends on usage. Generally one week -> 6 months. As for food, I think of it as a choice, but not a preference. If you're in a position where you need to use it, go ahead. But it wouldn't be my first choice if I had other options.

Ken
玉鋼
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

Pictures or the hair whittling or it didn't happen :D M4 is my favorite steel and I can only hope there is a PM2 in M4 just around the corner. Sal if you are listening, PLEASE, PRETTY PRETTY PLEASE!!! can we have a M4 Para2!!!!
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ferris Wheels wrote:Pictures or the hair whittling or it didn't happen :D M4 is my favorite steel and I can only hope there is a PM2 in M4 just around the corner. Sal if you are listening, PLEASE, PRETTY PRETTY PLEASE!!! can we have a M4 Para2!!!!
As you wish :D

I need to buy a new tripod for my camcorder, when I do I'll make videos. I need to do a few knife reviews anyway.
~David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

There you go....... proof!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My Tuf-Glide came in the mail today. WHEW that stuff smells like burning plastic! How long can I expect my blade to smell like crap? I had already taken it apart and cleaned up the light rust spots and had the blade sitting in mineral oil waiting for the TG to show up. I washed the blade with Dawn and a toothbrush and patted it dry with a paper towel, then gave it a pretty thorough bath in TG, wiped off the excess with the TG cloth, then let it air dry and put it back together. Then I used the needle dropper to put a few more drops in the pivot for good measure.

The only down side is, I really don't feel comfortable using this knife for food prep now. That whole "harmful or fatal if swallowed" on the bottle doesn't do much for my appetite. I guess if I had no other choice, I would just wash the blade in soapy water and hope for the best. I really don't use my knife for food prep very often anyway so this isn't as big of a deal to me as potential rust is.
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Salt knives = food
M4 Manix2 = zombies

Carry on sir! :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Blerv wrote:Salt knives = food
M4 Manix2 = zombies

Carry on sir! :D
Sweet! Glad that's cleared up!
~David
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Evil D wrote:Sweet! Glad that's cleared up!
Blake is always here to help ;)

Seriously though, I wouldn't worry about health risks unless you used it for food ALOT. Yeah, don't drink the bottle, but they've been quoted many times saying it's okay for occasional use.

Ken
玉鋼