Paramilitary 2 non DLC worth it? Or is DLC the only option?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mahmer09

Paramilitary 2 non DLC worth it? Or is DLC the only option?

Post by Mahmer09 »

I managed to find a digi handled PM2 with a non DLC blade. If I just wait, I bet I could find a DLC blade. Is the DLC blade waaaay better than the regular? Should I wait or just enjoy the regular one? Getting both is not an option. I'm already scaring my wife.
phaust

Post by phaust »

DLC is a personal preference or need rather than a distinction of quality between them.
Mahmer09

Post by Mahmer09 »

phaust wrote:DLC is a personal preference or need rather than a distinction of quality between them.
Does the DLC make the knife stronger? What would be the need as you say?
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

As I understand it, the main purpose of DLC is light discipline, that is, to make the blade less shiny to avoid getting picked off by a sniper for example. I do not believe it makes the blade or the knife itself any stronger.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

DLC makes the blade black, and that's about it.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
maa14

Post by maa14 »

I dont think it would make the knife stronger as it is just a coating on a blade, so IMO it basically comes down to... Do you want a black coated blade or a satin finished one?
:spyder:'s =FFG ZDP-189 Delica...Manix2...saber grind VG10 Delica...bug...Blue M390 Paramilitary 2...SE hawkbill Ladybug salt...sharpmaker with UF stones.orange and red baliyo...
Latest purchase=Gayle Bradley
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Most people probably get the satin blade, both of my p2's are that way. I wouldnt mind having one dlc blade for a little variety. I've read that spyderco dlc is more durable than the black that other manufacturers use.
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

I sold my DLC para... for one I have the blue M390 and orange XHP versions, with the soon to be green 204P one once they ship out. The DLC is a cool novelty, but it makes the knife look sinister and easy to misplace in the dark.
racer88

Post by racer88 »

I got my Digicam PM2 with the DLC blade. I just thought the black blade went well with the digicam scales.

I couldn't find a photo of my PM2 in DLC. But, here's a photo of my Digicam DLC Military:

SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

DLC does cut down on light reflection, but for all intents and purposes it is simply for aesthetics. Anyone saying they "need" DLC for light discipline just reeks of mall ninja. That said, I much prefer the looks of the DLC blades.
Skywarp

Post by Skywarp »

The only black blade I have is on my Bayoushooter Endura. I try to avoid this option where possible as I'm not in the Armed Forces, I'm not an assassin and I don't want anyone thinking I'm a nutter who collects weapons... I just want to be thought of as a regular nutter! :D
Urban Leaf, Superblue Delica 4, Leafstorm, Brown XHP Native, Brown Para 2
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Contrary to popular belief, i don't think the black blade attracts more attention by NKP, in fact my experience has been just the opposite. The black blade seemed to attract less attention, since it doesn't shine and reflect light and draw attention. Think about any cliche pic you've ever seen of a blade being wielded by a bad guy and i guarantee you it has a sparkle of light reflecting off the blade. It's one of those things that's engrained into peoples minds.

In fact, a quick search for "bad guy with a knife" instantly showed two perfect examples..

As far as Hollywood is concerned, bad guys carry big shiny kitchen knives because DLC just doesn't have enough wow effect. Just as movies ruined peoples' opinions of switchblades, the same goes for shiny blades intimidating people.

Anyway, I'd opt for DLC on most of my knives if i had the option to.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

It's funny you brought up this thread as there are quite a few over here trying to get a para 2 and the only ones available are the dlc versions.
I personally have 6 Dlc blades and hands down spyderco has the best it looks better finished than the others is truly Matt and is very resistant , that said I'd go for satin I prefer the look happy buying D .

And the bad guy with knife seems to have got them from the kitchen block too maybe before he ballyed up ;)
Splice

Post by Splice »

I would really like to see someone do a few experiments to find out exactly where the evil perception lies. Maybe lay out a few designs that are very similar but with different features (say a ladybug vs delica vs an endura, then a g10 delica vs an FRN vs steel) then have then sort them by most dangerous looking to least dangerous.
BAL

Post by BAL »

I have a Camo Military in both Satin and DLC. Basically, I use them to differentiate
one from the other. The satin is my hard work farm knife. The DLC is my home
EDC. I think that is more of a preference thing. The black looks nice on a Camo.
A Black / Black Para 2 has a certain cool look it as well.

Also, if you do get a DLC and you think that you have scrathed it, chances are is
that you can wipe the "scratch" off. It is probably just a mark on the DLC, unless
you really scratch it hard.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Splice wrote:I would really like to see someone do a few experiments to find out exactly where the evil perception lies. Maybe lay out a few designs that are very similar but with different features (say a ladybug vs delica vs an endura, then a g10 delica vs an FRN vs steel) then have then sort them by most dangerous looking to least dangerous.
Now that's a great idea.
jon1all

Post by jon1all »

The DLC *may* give a slight bit of rust protection over and above the Satin... but S30V is pretty good when it comes to rust anyway, so I am guessing any advantage is minimal and not worth worrying about.

I now have both a DLC (digicam G10) and Satin (black G10)... both are cool. The DLC is sinister looking, the Satin has a nice "man-jewelry" sparkle to it... buy what appeals to you... or if you can't make up your mind, get both... like me! :)
Apparently, arachnophobia is not a condition from which I suffer.... :spyder:
------
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." (oops!)
--Thomas Jefferson
PLEASE VISIT MY BLOG >>>1all's Pub<<<
Donut

Post by Donut »

I'm not a big fan of black blades.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I usually avoid coated blades in general. Light discipline is not a part of how I use my folders. that being said i have been wanteing to back up my Millie CE and may do the DLC blade just to avoid having two of the same.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I have an all black Para 2 and I bought it purely for aesthetics. I usually shy away from black coatings as I don't like how they wear but DLC is an exception, it's extremely hard.
I would buy either I just prefer the stealthy look of the Para in all black.