New Manix's! XL and M2, possible defect, please help educate me!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tim12232

New Manix's! XL and M2, possible defect, please help educate me!

Post by tim12232 »

So, I just received my first 2 Spyderco's and they are AWESOME!!! I do not have a huge collection of edged tools yet, but it is getting there. I have a Cook custom Explorer Elite fixed blade made of 5160, its not real pretty, but its a tank. Couple of Kershaw Blur's one being the S30v; and now my 2 new Spydies the Manix2 and Manix 2XL.

The Manix 2 I noticed upon opening that there is a faint ripple in the blade that isn't real noticeable unless looking at the light refraction on the reflection of the blade. I dont know if its pure cosmetic or if it could be a bad or improper grind. This is the 154CM standard M2 and below are some pics.
PS- Im having some problems with the pics, Ill see what I can do?!

Thanks,
and awesome forum!

Tim
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

cant do much without pics. You have to use a hosting site like photobucket and copy and paste the "IMG" code into the post inorder for the pics to show up.
tim12232

Post by tim12232 »

lets try this....Ok so this will work look at the last .25" of the tip, you see the line going horizontal? Image
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

tim12232 wrote:So, I just received my first 2 Spyderco's and they are AWESOME!!! I do not have a huge collection of edged tools yet, but it is getting there. I have a Cook custom Explorer Elite fixed blade made of 5160, its not real pretty, but its a tank. Couple of Kershaw Blur's one being the S30v; and now my 2 new Spydies the Manix2 and Manix 2XL.

The Manix 2 I noticed upon opening that there is a faint ripple in the blade that isn't real noticeable unless looking at the light refraction on the reflection of the blade. I dont know if its pure cosmetic or if it could be a bad or improper grind. This is the 154CM standard M2 and below are some pics.
PS- Im having some problems with the pics, Ill see what I can do?!

Thanks,
and awesome forum!

Tim

Welcome.
Pictures would help. Is what you are talking about on the main part of the blade or just on the sharpened area? I don't think I would worry about it if you have to depend on reflected light to notice it. But that's me and there are other things I'm picky about that don't bother other people. Is it a bent blade type of thing or more of a thinner or thicker portion of the blade? It isn't the hollow grind that you are talking about is it? It is thicker at the spine and gets thinner with a curved shape as you get closer to the edge. Hcope you can get the pics soon. If there is a problem I know Spyderco will make it right.

Jack
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

tim12232 wrote:lets try this....Image
There they are. That looks good to me. Actually I like the picture. I don't think there is anything wrong. The hollow grind is causing the different light reflection. Hollow grinds with the thicker portion of the blade add strength and the thinner portion provided excellent slicing performance.

Congrats on two great knives.

Jack
maa14

Post by maa14 »

It looks exactly like it should to me! Congrats on the new knives and welcome
:spyder:'s =FFG ZDP-189 Delica...Manix2...saber grind VG10 Delica...bug...Blue M390 Paramilitary 2...SE hawkbill Ladybug salt...sharpmaker with UF stones.orange and red baliyo...
Latest purchase=Gayle Bradley
tim12232

Post by tim12232 »

jackknifeh wrote:There they are. That looks good to me. Actually I like the picture. I don't think there is anything wrong. The hollow grind is causing the different light reflection. Hollow grinds with the thicker portion of the blade add strength and the thinner portion provided excellent slicing performance.

Congrats on two great knives.

Jack
In the above photo with the writing and the arrow, Its not the HG Im concerned about but the line just below the tip going the opposite direction of the grind. I can feel the bump on the finger, but just barely and no the blade has no bend to it! Ill talk to the seller and see what they say, otherwise I am really excited about these to slicers! Ive liked Kershaws for a while, but what a difference! Its like comparing my Dan Wesson 1911 to a Glock! Both great, but one offers that attention to detail!
Donut

Post by Donut »

Looking at how the blinds are reflecting off the blade, the reflection of the blinds looks vertical in the picture. I would expect to see that spot right where it is.

Now consider this, the metal HAS to bend from the saber to the spine of the blade somehow.

I think I would need to see more to know what you are talking about. And... I do know that it is very difficult to photograph the grind of a blade.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Donut

Post by Donut »

Also, I am somewhat creeped out by that picture, I have that same blanket, the same blinds, and the same looking windows. I would swear you could have taken that picture 15 feet from where I am sitting right now.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

Donut wrote:Also, I am somewhat creeped out by that picture, I have that same blanket, the same blinds, and the same looking windows. I would swear you could have taken that picture 15 feet from where I am sitting right now.
Wait, your blinds are white too!?!?!?!?!? :O

The blade looks fine to me.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Donut wrote:Also, I am somewhat creeped out by that picture, I have that same blanket, the same blinds, and the same looking windows. I would swear you could have taken that picture 15 feet from where I am sitting right now.
He broke into your house and took the picture. I think you better count your knives. :)

Jack
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

All of mine look like that. No problems. :)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
tim12232

Post by tim12232 »

Cool!!! Thanks for the replies everyone! I'll post a link to the other thread in the gallery here later when I post pics of the new dynamic duo!
Arnis Student

Post by Arnis Student »

Thank you for this thread. I recently got the Manix 2 and Para Military 2 and thought I got a perfect Para Military 2 and a defective Manix 2. Glad to know my M2 is perfect as well.

Congrats on your new Spydies!
:spyder: Tenacious, Resilience, Manix 2, Para Military 2 :spyder:

Dreaming of a Military, Massad Ayoob, Lion Spy, Yojimbo 2, Szabo Folder :rolleyes: