A plea to Mr. Glesser.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
pedervisti

Post by pedervisti »

I like it! it's well suited for many tasks, i myself love the sheepsfoot blade profile, and had hoped for it in this knife!
Thanks Sal for making this happen!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

eyewall wrote:I like it. What would that blade profile be? A pot-bellied sheep's foot maybe?
Probably as good a description of its profile as any. Personally, I'd describe the profile as that of a Santoku. However, even though the grind is different, it's basically a shorter version of the same blade profile Jens Anso used on the Rock Lobster, which Spyderco described as follows:
a blade shape not defined by traditional knifemaker labels. Part Wharncliffe part knobby nosed, its thick tip eats up hard cuts and offers loads of personality.
Think both of ours convey more accurate picture of the shape, but Spyderco's sounds more intriguing. ;)
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I like it! Love the lines...
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

The Deacon wrote:Don't know what Jens Anso had in mind, but for me it creates two places where I can consistently place my thumb, behind it or in front of it. Also, for me at least, in gives the blade the appearance of an animal face. A hippo, maybe.
I was thinking of a the stylized raven profile on a west coast totem pole. :)
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

I like it. It sure looks non-threatening, perfect for certain times & places. "what, this a weapon? it doesn't even have much of a tip, this one. Naw, this is just for opening boxes, cutting apples, general tasks" :)
Will probably buy one if I can afford it.
monsterdog

Post by monsterdog »

I was lucky enough to get to handle this at Blade 2012 and got a short chat with Sal about it as well. It is a really nice little knife, I for one will get it for myself along with a handful for friends and family in Denmark.

As I told Sal, the barrier of entry into the Danish market is first price and second the general attitude towards knives. I think this will excel on both points, it will most likely be fairly cheap and is a very friendly looking little tool.

The two humps on the back is apparently a traditional Danish knife thing, which I had never heard of before, but I'm sure the designers know more about historically significant knife designs than I do :)

As an aside, it is surprising there are not more knife-as-tool advocacy groups like Knife Rights in European countries.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

C.L.L 97 wrote:That's an awesome little knife.

Do you have more specs on it??
Here you go:

Closed Length: 3.43 inches
Blade Length: 2.34 inches
Overall Length: 5.77 inches
Blade Thickness: 0.118 inch
Weight: 1.9 ounces

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx for the pics and specs Mike.

Hi Mikael,

Thanx for posting on the Danish forum. Let us know what they think?

Hi Haffner, BBSWE, Pedervisti and Knifedesign,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum. Hope you enjoy your time spent here.

TVenuto, As mentioned, Vox and Anso added the double hump as a traditional Danish feature. It has a specific name. I'll chase it down when I'm back in the office.

Hey Ghost,

We tooled up in FRN to keep the price down, especially considering we're making the knife in Europe with European steel. The maker has also pared margins to keep the price low. It's actually quite a gamble considering the small potential market.

Knifedesign,

Sorry you aren't pleased with the design. Hopefully it will please enough Danes to support the model. Maybe it will grow on you? ;) Spyderco designs have always been referred to as "fugly" rather than attractive. This design is very specific to meet the laws and attitude of a particular country and still provide a safe, strong high performance cutter. I guess time will tell.

sal
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Huh....it's hella ugly...but I like it. Sounds like it should be a nice affordable model too.

Feeling lazy, and don't want to read back. What steel is being used on this one?
On the hunt for...
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I would geuss it's N690. Good stuff, same material that is used for the squeak.
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

dbcad wrote:I would geuss it's N690. Good stuff, same material that is used for the squeak.
Similar to VG-10 right?
On the hunt for...
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

It's the european equivalent of VG-10. Many of the same properties, good stuff :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Sal, any ETA on this knife?
sal

Post by sal »

hi Ghost,

a rough guess would be 6 months.

sal
Mr_Moe

Post by Mr_Moe »

Good luck with sales, I hope it will sell very well and people in Denmark will like it. While German knife laws can be annoying I'm glad they aren't as restrictive as Denmark's.
knifedesign

Post by knifedesign »

Hey Sal, im sorry if my first post at your forum was a bit disrespectful. After taking a good look at the knife i was thinking, any chance og loosing the notch on top of the blade?, if you read through the danish forums there is quite a bit of dissatpointment in the design, but they all come down to this little notch (Wich by the way has no roots in traditional danish knife design).

By removing the notch, you turn the ugly wierd hippo into a very smooth and elegant piece of design wich almost reassembels the lines of a beautyfull car or even lines from a Verner Panton chair.

[ATTACH]20534[/ATTACH]

The Danes have a very long tradition of furniture and achitecture design which shapes our modern mentality and the way we look at design. That is why i think you will have a very hard time entering the danish market with this knife (with the notch). loose the notch and i my self will by quite a few of this knife.

i attatch a picture of one of the biggest icons in danish design for your inspiration

- David
edit: i am by the way an architect, not a knife designer so i might be completly wrong
Attachments
spyderco.jpg
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Knife design,

The "Bunny ears" are not a requirement for the design. They were a suggestion. I don't know that we can remove them from the first run, but I'll check. Thanx for the input. The blokes on the British Blade forums didn't like the "bunny ears" either.

sal
GroundGravy

Post by GroundGravy »

hi Sal, maybe the "bunny ears" could be changed out for "jimping?" like the kind on the native 5 (or on almost all spyderco knives)? it would make the design "smooth" but also add more (non slip) attributes to the knife.
superspyder

Post by superspyder »

Well, I sure like the knife. If the people in Denmark don't like them, you can just send them all here and I bet they will sell. :)
knifedesign

Post by knifedesign »

is there some kind of hole for a lanyard? (i suppose it would also be possible to tie the paracord to the top of the clip)