Different methods to sharpen your knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

From my construction days, in particular welding, the ceramic cups used for TIG welding torches can be used to sharpen a knife and the tungsten electrodes used in a TIG torch make a fair sharpening steel.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
justinl

Post by justinl »

i stick to the sharpmaker for sharpening, but at work, I maintain my work knife's edge by stropping on various cardboard boxes just lying around. a salt 1 if you're curious.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I used the top of the blade of my Delica to steel the edge on a Buck 55. Does that count?
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

BigBill5953 wrote:Sounds good. How exactly did you sharpen/ touch it up? Which way did you position the blade? Which way did you move it? (edge first or spine first)? I'm pretty unsure of and kind of freehand sharpening. I have the sharpmaker but Im looking at getting the Double Stuff sometime in the near future.
Sorry for the late reply, I use the same technique that you use on the sharpmaker with the UF rods (edgeways). I lightly stroke edge first on top of the window. I have done this a time or two from a jobsite when the edge needed touching up. The frosted edge is fairly smooth so it will act more like the fine and ultra fine stones do.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

xceptnl wrote:Sorry for the late reply, I use the same technique that you use on the sharpmaker with the UF rods (edgeways). I lightly stroke edge first on top of the window. I have done this a time or two from a jobsite when the edge needed touching up. The frosted edge is fairly smooth so it will act more like the fine and ultra fine stones do.
Dont worry about, I've been spending more time on bladeforums (BLASPHEMY! :eek: ) instead of here.
-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.