Sharpening Service Recommendation

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gdw

Sharpening Service Recommendation

Post by gdw »

I stoned-washed my blade and now need it sharpened. It would take me forever and a day to do it on my Sharpmaker. Can anyone make a recommendation on a good sharpening service?
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

Spyderco spa treatment search it
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Im sure somebody here could do it for you, I would but you probably dont want to send it to the other side of the world :p
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Actually I think it would not take anywhere near as long as you think. That being said, a nice coarse bench stone would make a great addition to your arsenal for bevel setting, any will do really, so you should be able to find something cheap.
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Send it to Golden along with $5. What's the problem? They do a GREAT job.
Sonny
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

they sharpen mod blades?
SpydieFan

Post by SpydieFan »

get diamond stones for sharpmaker?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:spyder:|Spyderco Bug|Spyderco Kiwi3|Spyderco H1 Salt|Spyderco Para Military 2 Black Blade DigiCam + STR Pocket Clip| :spyder:

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
vaa

Post by vaa »

The people from the wicked edge will do it. I think it's a $1 an inch plus shipping. Send them an email via their web page. They were fast to reply to me.
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

razorsharp wrote:they sharpen mod blades?
They did with mine (ricasso), but you may have to specify that you want to keep the stonewash intact and not buffed out.
gdw

Post by gdw »

Thanks all. I still have not made up my mind. I may have a go at it. I fear if I did it myself with a stone I would scratch the blade up. Now, the diamond files for the Sharpmaker, that may do the trick too.
jnichols2

Post by jnichols2 »

Could someone tell me what the term "stone-washed the blade" means? And how it impacts sharpening?
Ladybug, Delica x 2, Endura x 2, Military Black, Manix 2 XL, Civilian, Harpy, Caly 3.5 CF ZDP-189, Sage 1
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

jnichols2 wrote:Could someone tell me what the term "stone-washed the blade" means? And how it impacts sharpening?
It just means he took the knife apart and rolled the blade in a cup of rocks (or a rock tumbler if you have one) to give it a "stone washed" surface. Here's some good pics http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... tonewashed

Doing that usually destroys your edge though, and you have to start over with a very dull edge.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
gdw

Post by gdw »

[ATTACH]20413[/ATTACH]

The knife in I need sharpening.
Attachments
Chokwe2.JPG
mil

Post by mil »

the stonewashing turned out great
gdw

Post by gdw »

Thanks. It was my first one. I did the handle too and it turned out pretty good. I used my Midway case tumbler with some round polished stones that were maybe on the smaller side. I'd say maybe 1 inch in diameter, give-or-take. And like everyone recommends, I sprayed a bunch of WD40 in it. I have thought about doing my PM2 - but can't make up my mind. I may just leave it...but it's tempting. It would be one more knife I need to get sharpened.
gdw

Post by gdw »

Oh, and I need to give credit to Geoff at Tuffknives for the scale. Great job.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Welcome gdw :) Sweet looking knife :) What is it??

There is a great sense of satisfaction that comes from being able to reprofile and sharpen your own blades. I'm not being judgemental, only encouraging others to reach out and obtain the level of satisfaction I feel after taking a blunt piece of metal and making it sharp :) All you need are the right tools. A wide variety of such tools using different techniques are available. I did just this to my wife's super dull paring knife this evening and while I didn't push it thru to polished and razorsharp, it felt good to make it very usable again :)

Just nudging because I would like others to be able to feel the same sense of satisfaction :) Being able to do it yourself holds rewards I would like everyone to share :) No offense or slight is intended and I hope none is taken. Just trying to share the same enjoyment I feel :)

Just the thoughts of a novice sharpening and edge nut :rolleyes:
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]