Show your EDC

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
Agent_Ohm

Post by Agent_Ohm »

fog edc by Agent_Ohm, on Flickr
In omnia paratus
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I actually can have a cold steel anytime I want. I just toss a knife in the fridge, voilá! cold steel!
Funny. You know, to me, Cold Steel and Spyderco represent mirror images of our globalized economy. Meaning Spyderco searches the globe for top-quality manufacturing facilities, while CS searches the globe for the cheapest crap they can throw together. Okay, so their triad lock is supposed to be really strong, but that's all they talk about. Everything thing else about CS products just seems second- or third-rate to me. Although I don't know what I base that on because I can't bring myself to spend money on a CS product. Am I being unfair to CS?
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

tr4022 wrote:Funny. You know, to me, Cold Steel and Spyderco represent mirror images of our globalized economy. Meaning Spyderco searches the globe for top-quality manufacturing facilities, while CS searches the globe for the cheapest crap they can throw together. Okay, so their triad lock is supposed to be really strong, but that's all they talk about. Everything thing else about CS products just seems second- or third-rate to me. Although I don't know what I base that on because I can't bring myself to spend money on a CS product. Am I being unfair to CS?
I dunno but I really like my rajah 2. It might be a joke to some but I usually carry it when I can't carry a pistol(expired CCW or gunless area). It does adapt well to some eskrima techniques and I'm sure it can take off a finger or two. That's for SD though. ;)
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I dunno but I really like my rajah 2. It might be a joke to some but I usually carry it when I can't carry a pistol(expired CCW or gunless area). It does adapt well to some eskrima techniques and I'm sure it can take off a finger or two. That's for SD though. ;)
Well, Sun Tzu (or something like that) said battles are won or lost before they ever begin. If that's the case, carrying a Rajah 2 will work every time by scaring the crap out of whoever is hassling you, right?

Thanks for responding. I always appreciate others' views.

tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

This one just arrived. A Warncliff from a local maker Stuart Smith!

"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

Zenith wrote:This one just arrived. A Warncliff from a local maker Stuart Smith!

Beautiful!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

tr4022 wrote:Well, Sun Tzu (or something like that) said battles are won or lost before they ever begin. If that's the case, carrying a Rajah 2 will work every time by scaring the crap out of whoever is hassling you, right?

Thanks for responding. I always appreciate others' views.

tod
Nope, I'm not really counting on scaring the crap out of anybody. I'm counting on his falling to the ground and laughing. Then I can do what I want with him. Ground and chop so to speak. :D

On a serious note however, you're not really saying that the rajah 2 doesn't work as a chopper of hands or neck? If I had my choice between a millie and a rajah 2(only between those 2) in a rough spot, guess what I'd choose. ;)
Donut

Post by Donut »

Nice Wharnie, what steel?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Azwaiian wrote:Beautiful!
Donut wrote:Nice Wharnie, what steel?
Thanks for the kind words. Here is some info on the steel.

SABEN SILVER STEEL 1.2210 PRECISION GROUND DOWELL ROD B.S.1407 WERKSTOFF No

C 1.20
Si
Mn 0.40
Cr 0.40
Mo
W
V

Features and Uses

Saben Silver Steel is bright finished rod produced from hot rolled bar by means of centreless grinding.
The high carbon content of this steel means that it can be hardened to give considerable wear resistance and the chromium content adds to the strength and hardenability
As supplied however, the steel is machinable owing to the annealing treatment given to it prior to grinding.
Saben silver steel is spherodise annealed for best machinability, the annealed hardness being in the region of 270 Brinell (Rockwell C27). On hardening and tempering a hardness of up to Rockwell C64 can be obtained. Being in the spherodised condition, the material offers maximum response to hardening and the chromium content ensures deep hardening.

Applications

Saben silver steel finds innumerable uses in the tool room and in general engineering. The user can select a size suitable for his purpose, thereby reducing or eliminating the need for grinding or machining the finished part.

Applications include screwdrivers, punches, shafts,
axles, pinions, pins, die posts, instrument parts, model parts, taps and drills for mild steel, engravers tools, and fine cutters.

Hardening

It is preferable to heat the tools in a controlled atmosphere. If this is not possible, pack hardening is recommended. A reducing atmosphere is desirable.

Heat to 770 / 780ºC and when thoroughly soaked through, quench in water. (sizes up to 8 mm diameter may be oil hardened from 800 / 810ºC)
Tempering will be necessary.

Tolerances

B.S. 1407/1959 conforms with I.S.O. H8
Up to and including 3mm +0.00 – 0.014 mm
Over 3mm and including 6mm +0.00 – 0.018 mm
6mm and including 10 mm +0.00 – 0.022 mm
10mm and including 18 mm +0.00 – 0.027 mm
18mm and including 30 mm +0.00 – 0.033 mm
30mm and including 50 mm +0.00 – 0.039 mm

Tempering
Temper according to the purpose for which the parts are required generally between 150 / 300ºC

Rockwell C Temperature
63/65 as quenched
63/65 120ºC
64/62 150ºC
62/61 200ºC
59/58 250ºC
56/55 300ºC
54/53 350ºC
50/48 400ºC

Temper at about 230degC and get great performance
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

I also have a Swiss Tech MicroMax on my keys which as luck would have it... I can't find right now.
...I have no knives I keep in a safe but there are one or two that don't leave the house...
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

Caly 3 is a great edc.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Anonymous wrote:Back before I knew anything about quality steel or what have you I thought Cold Steel was good. I will say that I have owned an AK-47 along with a Voyager from them and have no complaints.....although, now I would because the steel isn't up to my current standards thanks to Spyderco.

Well, so several months ago I bought a Cold Steel Pocket Bushman. Ya, it's a cheaper knife but I figured it would get the job done. I got it in the mail and played around with it like most of you do your new knives I'm sure and I'll be **** if that knife did not start to get rust on the handle the day after I got it. I was not happy to say the least and that pretty much did it for any chance of me buying from them again so I got online and started looking into higher quality knives and decided I would just spend a little more on a knife that would last me. So, I came across Spyderco and picked up a waved Endura4.
Two words my friend "tuff glide". ;)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Anonymous wrote:I've heard of this stuff and from what I've read it's a lubricant/rust preventive kind of solution. Does it stay intact even with contact with hands and what not without being making the handle more slippery? If so, I'll try it out. I still have the pocket bushman.
It dries out.
JB3

Post by JB3 »

Ti Deli get the most pocket time of all my Spyderco knives
KAUFFMANN

Post by KAUFFMANN »

:)
DeltaWhiskey

Post by DeltaWhiskey »

"Please forgive me dear...I bought another knife"