Any Temperance 2 owners out there

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RanCoWeAla

Any Temperance 2 owners out there

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I may purchase a Temperance 2 in the near future and was wondering what anyone out there who has one really thinks of this knife. Just finished watching a. you tube review of the Temperance by nut n fancy where he didn't like the clip on the belt sheath, the way the handle was attached, the exposed steel on the spine or the price. I don't place too much confidence in what he says because he is like a consultant of some kind who is never going to say something is right because he is trying to justify his job and so called expertise. I like the sheath made of hard plastic because it's tough and don't mind that it's hard to get off you belt because certainly don't want it falling off on it's own. I don't have s problem with the way the handles are attached as long as are put on to stay and I actually like the exposed steel on the spine because then you know you have good full tang construction and I wouldn't have anythingelse on a fixed blade. However I was just wondering what you Temperance owners who have had this knife for a while really think of it because the price point is pretty steep.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I'm curious, too. I didn't like that review, either, and I wish it wasn't so bloody expensive. Still, I want a nice knife to make me feel safer against wildlife and such.

- best wishes, Jazz.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

The Temp2 is a gorgeous piece of craftsmanship :) Even though mine isn't used too much anymore there is no denying the care that went into the making of this piece. It's a large hunk of beautifully sculpted steel attached to an equally well sculpted and ergonomic stick. Out in the woods I feel much more comfortable having it on my belt.

If you can afford it I would suggest buying it. In my mind the Temp2 is one of Sal's most elegant, useful and beautiful creations :D

Sorry for the lousy pic, it's what I had on hand :o
Attachments
temp2 small.jpg
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I was at Smokey Mountain Knife Works in Sevierville, Tn. a few weeks ago and got to handle one of these and look it over and it is truely a beautiful knife. I'm still going to have to think about it a while longer before I spent that kind of money.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Just watched the review by nut'nfancy. His recurring focus seemed to be the cost for what would be a beater knife. The comparisons made to cheaper blades with lesser steels reinforced that point. He seems to have been almost outraged by the price from the start and it slanted the whole "review".

I wouldn't want aus8 or Gerber "surgical stainless steel" in place of VG-10. The handle also has quite a bit of grip, especially when wet. In fresh water environments VG-10 does fine, no need to pinpoint the pinned scales and exposed cross section of steel in the handle. There was no need to continously criticsize the price when he doesn't know how the knife was made or by whom.

He got a few points right, the Temp2 is very well built, the F&F is absolutely superb, it performs very well in a variety of tasks from food prep to cutting wood. He chose to under emphasize the positives because he was freaked by the price. He would "thump it" :confused: :confused:

If you like the way the Temp2 looks, the materials, and all around utility buy it. It is built to perform and perform well.

A truly extraodrinary piece :D and a missguided review ;)
Charlie

jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

Guess it depends on what you plan to use it for? It's a great knife and feels good in hand. Very well balanced and gives you great controll. Guess I really can't answer the question for you. The ShouthFork is around the bend. Might be another knife worth saving for?
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

dbcad wrote:Just watched the review by nut'nfancy. His recurring focus seemed to be the cost for what would be a beater knife. The comparisons made to cheaper blades with lesser steels reinforced that point. He seems to have been almost outraged by the price from the start and it slanted the whole "review".

I wouldn't want aus8 or Gerber "surgical stainless steel" in place of VG-10. The handle also has quite a bit of grip, especially when wet. In fresh water environments VG-10 does fine, no need to pinpoint the pinned scales and exposed cross section of steel in the handle. There was no need to continously criticsize the price when he doesn't know how the knife was made or by whom.

He got a few points right, the Temp2 is very well built, the F&F is absolutely superb, it performs very well in a variety of tasks from food prep to cutting wood. He chose to under emphasize the positives because he was freaked by the price. He would "thump it" :confused: :confused:

If you like the way the Temp2 looks, the materials, and all around utility buy it. It is built to perform and perform well.

A truly extraodrinary piece :D and a missguided review ;)
I agree with nutn, its a little too expensive. The thing im worried about is how gorgeous it looks... i'd be scared to thump on it.
Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

I tried to watch that review. I almost turned it off when the first 3 minutes were about a dog... Seriously. That guy needs to go back to being a nobody. When he started explaining how he called Spyderco and "took them to task" over the price of the knife I turned it off. Who has the audacity (and the time) for this sort of crap?

"Hey, Ferrari, I really don't appreciate what you're charging for a new F430. I don't think you have any right to decide what you charge for one of the finest sports cars in the world. It's not like you are one of the finest sports car manufacturers in the world or something..."

" Well sir it's handcrafted of the finest, most advanced materials available to man and backed by decades of research and development, and a storied past..."

"Whatever, you're a liar."

"Okay, have a good day sir."

"I'm a ninja."

"I said good day sir!"

He really is an idiot. If you don't like what you get for the price don't buy it. Get your thumb out of your *** and prove to me how much of a waste of money it is. You can blab all day (or 30 friggin minutes, which was how long that review was) about how you don't like something, but unless you can actually PROVE it's a bad knife, or has inherent issues, I really don't care. His opinions are more and more based on what the idiots that worship him think.

That being said, you get what you pay for. Well, sometimes you do...

DedRok

Post by DedRok »

Rwb1500 wrote:

That being said, you get what you pay for. Well, sometimes you do...

picture of $220 "limited edition" tenacious
LOL, yeah his knifes are a joke.

But again on the price of temperance, its just a little to bit money for me and my style of fixed blade knife usage, but that won't stop me from telling anyone else to buy the knife!

I don't have any Spyderco fixed blades, but really wished I had a fixed blade plain edge Aqua Salt in black!! :(
Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
mil

Post by mil »

+1 on it being too expensive

i really don't understand where the cost comes from...
GCG199

Post by GCG199 »

There is a video interview of Sal explaining why the Temperance 2 being so expensive.

It is the Nutnfancy 2010 SHOT Show Spyderco video.

It is handmade rather than CNC-machined, along with the exchange rates and inflation having raised the cost of knife making in Japan.
My favorite Spyderco knives include: Caly 3.5, Chaparral, Delica 4 FFG, Stretch, Para-Military 2, Endura 4 FFG, Manix 2 & Manix 2 XL!

TANSTAAFL
JD Spydo

Yeah get the Temp 2, you won't regret it

Post by JD Spydo »

One of my all time favorite Spyders that I use almost daily is my first generation Temperance 1 model>> the original FB-05 which is Temp 2's predecessor. The Temp 1 was and is a superb hard use fixed blade and I even recommend you getting one of them when you can even locate one and afford it. But for right now I would highly recommend you get the Temperance 2. The only deviation at all I would have would be to possibly get Spyderco's new Southfork model but I would even recommend getting both of them. I'm going to I can tell you that.

The Temp 1 is geometrically identical to the Temp 2 in many ways. It doesn't have that beautifully rugged Micarta handle that the Temp 2 has but it is a super work horse none the less. Also as a sidebar I can assure you that the Temp 1 and Temp 2 both would be great self defense blades if ever needed.

I can assure you my Brother if you buy the Temp 2 and for whatever reason don't like it I'll buy it from you because it is high on my list but I'm confident if you get it in your hands you won't be letting go of it anytime soon. I guarantee it :cool:
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Very nice knife. I seldom use my Mules since getting one a couple of years ago.

It does seem a little pricey to me.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

It is pretty dang expensive, I got mine used so easier to swallow, for the new price there are many alternatives. I sort of agree with him on the g-clip, it doesn't clamp onto your belt like tec lock does, so unless your belt is wide enough to fill the whole clip, the knife/sheath tend to wobble around and not stay put, especially if knife is mounted in slanted or horizontal position.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I hope the OP has more feedback to decide with. Makes me glad the folks interested in a Temp2 have a few more opinions on both sides to make their decision :)

I have my own role for The temp2. It's my travelling food prep blade. Not perfect because of the blade thickness but quite nice for most tasks in that realm. In that role it's low maintenance and comfortable to use. The design makes it able to change into a utility knife anytime :D

The Temp2 and the Bushcraft 2nd generally go with each other as a complimentary pair for me. Even though the styles are very different they complement each other well :D

This thread will prompt me to visit the lake again. You know 2 of the knives I'll be taking with me :D
Attachments
temp2 and bushcraft small.jpg
Charlie

Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

I like my Temp 2, but have only used it camping once. Its a great camp knife that I used for food prep mostly. I got mine as a 2nd for way cheap and had to get a sheath made for it from Kydex. I will not buy another fixed blade in this size range since this one is it for me for life. Couple things: I like the ergos of the handle, but would prefer it to be a bit thicker and hand filling. I like how the Bushcraft fills my hand better. I dont like the kydex sheath all that much and have replaced it with a nice leather sheath. I know it not as good for retention, but I just like how I can get it out and put it in without having to look too carefully. Just my opinions.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
bonesmalones

Post by bonesmalones »

The Temperance 2 is a work of art. I love mine. It's definitely not a "beater" knife in my eyes. It's completely functional, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it on a hunting/camping trip. But having said that, I'd be sure to take good care of it. It's BEAUTIFUL. Get one in your hands. Then decide.
Reject

Post by Reject »

How much can a Koala bear?
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

The T2, as my wife calls it, is used most days in the kitchen by her, and sometimes by me...
But when I go walking in the bush about once a fortnight, it goes with me in my day pack...a belt pack actually...
I only touch it up with a medium grey ceramic rod, and to date only sharpened it on my grinder twice...

The sheath is rather grunty, as they say here in NZ...solid as...and the lock in the sheath is secure, second only to actually using a padlock of some sort...
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I can't resist replying about the Temp2 ;) It's the most expensive model I have, but worth the cost. I think I paid $172 at KC a couple of years ago.

The craftsmanship that went into constructing this piece is phenomenal :eek: The micarta has darkened a bit with use, but the feeling of appreciation whenever I pick it up remains the same :D

A truly unique model in the Spyderco selection :) Compare the handle to that of a knife made 100 years ago ;)

If you can afford it, get it :D
Attachments
5 fixed blades small.jpg
Charlie