Millie Fix for a Southpaw

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Skywalker

Millie Fix for a Southpaw

Post by Skywalker »

I just ordered one of the CF/M390 millies that came up at KW the other day. I can't wait for it to get in. However, I am left-handed, and the Military is set up for the other 90% of the world. I have no issue using right-hand locking liners; it's the pocket clip that I'm looking to do something about. I was at first thinking of maybe sending it to STR or someone like that to put one on the other side for me, but then I found out that Al Mar actually makes a pocket clip that attaches through the lanyard hole on their knives. Does anyone know of someplace I could get something like this for a Millie?

I'm crazy excited about the knife regardless, and will happily carry it in my left pocket, right-hand clip and all. I'm just trying to figure out what my other options here might be.
Sht

Post by Sht »

Before you go crazy looking for some clips or tap that sucker try this. Just clip it to your left pocket & draw the knife like normal. Place your index fi get at the bottom of he clip, that should place your ring finger by the spydie hole. Deploy the blade with your ring finger at first you might need some wrist action. When your done you have the knife I. Reverse grip ready for action.
Gayle Bradley
Bob lum tanto sprint
Milie camo
Para2 camo
Manix2 moonglow
Tasman salt
Tenacious (the whole lineup)
Kiwi SS

Knives at all times
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

I can do something very similar with my PM2 and middle finger, but coming straight into a reverse grip out of the pocket a) isn't useful for cutting much and b) bothers NKP even more.
Sht

Post by Sht »

Indeed but you can do it if you need to or just flip it around then open it.
Gayle Bradley
Bob lum tanto sprint
Milie camo
Para2 camo
Manix2 moonglow
Tasman salt
Tenacious (the whole lineup)
Kiwi SS

Knives at all times
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Yeah, I suppose. Still, if I can get a clip secured through the lanyard hole, no flipping necessary. Either way, thanks for the help.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Have you contacted Al Mar to inquire as to whether they'd sell you a clip? Not sure how their clips work, but clips mounted by a single screw generally use either a depression in the scales, like Spyderco's barrel bolt and wire clips. or a stud on the clip that mates with a hole in the scale, like those used by Chris Reeve. Otherwise, no matter how much you tighten the screw, it's virtually impossible to keep the clip from rotating, so you might wind up with something that won't work without modifying the knife in some way. STR does excellent work, and his clips have a reputation for being high quality, but they are somewhat expensive.

If you're carrying it as a tool, rapid deployment is not really an issue, so leaving the clip as-is and either repositioning the knife in your hand in order to open it or carrying and opening it right handed, then swapping hands, should not be a major problem. If you're carrying it as a weapon, then edge retention and looks should be low priorities, so you might consider the more plain-jane left handed Military for that use.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SpydieFan

Post by SpydieFan »

I just got an STR low rider clip... much better than the stock clip! And still just as easy to pull out of my pocket. The PM2 has such a big azz its easy to grab :P
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:spyder:|Spyderco Bug|Spyderco Kiwi3|Spyderco H1 Salt|Spyderco Para Military 2 Black Blade DigiCam + STR Pocket Clip| :spyder:

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
wec12

Post by wec12 »

Did you have to send the knife in to STR to get the clip?
SpydieFan wrote:I just got an STR low rider clip... much better than the stock clip! And still just as easy to pull out of my pocket. The PM2 has such a big azz its easy to grab :P
█ Copycat :mad: █
█ A.K.A. Mr.Dissector █
█ "Think before You Cut" --- Sal Glesser. █
Donut

Post by Donut »

STR has many knives, like the Para 2. He knows the clip configuration for many clips. I know he can make a Para 2 style clip without sending the knife in.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

There ARE lefty Millies on ebay for around $119.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

wec12 wrote:Did you have to send the knife in to STR to get the clip?
Steve has both at least one Para2 and Military as well. You just have to specify what finish/color you want the ti clip to be and how low you want it to ride.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

NoFair wrote:Steve has both at least one Para2 and Military as well. You just have to specify what finish/color you want the ti clip to be and how low you want it to ride.
That's would only be true if he was right handed. Unlike the ParaMiiltary 2 which is set up for 4 way clip mounting, the Military is drilled for RH TD only, so he would have to send the knife to Steve to have it drilled and tapped for LH carry.
Paul
Benny90

Post by Benny90 »

The issue with a barrel clip for use on the Military is the fact that the lanyard hole isn't very large. There are more people out there that do excellent work besides STR. If you search blade forums they are easy to find. All that you would need to have done is to tap the other side of the handle to flip the clip.
:spyder: SPYDERCO: C81GPBK2 - ParaMilitary 2 / C11PSBBK - Delica 4 / LBKS3 - Ladybug 3 / C138P - Grasshopper :spyder:

- Black on Black Spydeco's! :cool:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Benny90 wrote:The issue with a barrel clip for use on the Military is the fact that the lanyard hole isn't very large. There are more people out there that do excellent work besides STR. If you search blade forums they are easy to find. All that you would need to have done is to tap the other side of the handle to flip the clip.
No argument on there being a number of excellent craftsmen out there. However, regardless of who does the work, there's still the clip curvature issue if you re-use the Military's clip. Unless you go for LH TU it's going to look odd, at the very least.
Paul
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

No, I haven't actually contacted Al Mar, and I don't know that the size is right to begin with. And it's just going to be carried as a tool, so speed's not really an issue... I just love the way my PM2 drops into my hand ready to open. I'll look around on BF some, but I'm leaning towards just leaving it alone at this point. Thanks for the help, everyone.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm no lefty so i might have this completely wrong, but i'm playing with my Military right now, clipping/drawing from my left pocket, and it seems to me that if you draw it out the right way, it's right there in the palm of your hand right where you need it to deploy it with your thumb. Yeah, if you try to draw it in a "tip up" type of draw then it'll be funky.

Then again, i was told by a physical therapist once that i was born left handed and raised right handed so maybe this is just easy for me. I don't have any problem closing the lock by pressing the tab in with my middle finger and pushing the blade closed with my index finger at the same time.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

The Deacon wrote:That's would only be true if he was right handed. Unlike the ParaMiiltary 2 which is set up for 4 way clip mounting, the Military is drilled for RH TD only, so he would have to send the knife to Steve to have it drilled and tapped for LH carry.
Sorry Paul. Brain fart on my end :o
SpydieFan

Post by SpydieFan »

wec12 wrote:Did you have to send the knife in to STR to get the clip?
If it needs to be drilled and tapped, yes. Steve is a fantastic guy to deal with. Took 3 days for the clip to get to me, and he shipped the same day, even before I was able to pay his invoice. Throughout the whole process, he sent me 10 emails and I sent him 10 emails. He was very very willing to communicate.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:spyder:|Spyderco Bug|Spyderco Kiwi3|Spyderco H1 Salt|Spyderco Para Military 2 Black Blade DigiCam + STR Pocket Clip| :spyder:

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

FWIW I'm a lefty and love the Millie as is. I carry either front IWB or SOB. SOB carry isn't recommended if you're concerned with MBC etc.. but it does turn every large right-handed folder into a perfect fit for a left-handed knife user. I certainly recommend experimenting with different methods of carry and opening before you alter the hardware, that is always an option.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 5-30-2024 Instagram
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

So again, why not just buy a left handed Millie?