Can there be any better?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Roverrich

Can there be any better?

Post by Roverrich »

I feel like I've hit the end of the road for the quest of the "best" Spyderco. I'm referring to the Gayle Bradley. I was initially skeptical about what could be so special about the knife, but then I bought one and found out. The knife is beefy and solid, the blade just the right size and shape and the steel. Oh man is that M4 awesome.

This past weekend I took my daughters on an Indian Princess campout. The GB was my carry knife, didn't think I would use it much but actually I did. FIrst had to cut landscape netting, you know the kind that is place on the ground to hold hay and seed down so that bird, wind etc doesn't make it dissappear. While not really strong, it is cumbersome to deal with and required a sharp blade to cut. Check! GB made mince meat of it and out performed another Dad's Gerber.

After that task, had to whittle some firewood for kindle and make "smoors" sticks for the girls. Check! No problem. All the while I was doing these things, I kept thinking, Man this feels really good in my hand.

The knife served dinner duty also, cutting food for the other girls whose dad's didn't bring a knife :rolleyes: and cutting up greek chicken, gyros, spanikopita etc. Hey we like to eat well and one dad wanted greek food. Check, check! No problem despite the AM duties.

All said and told, when I got home I thought I would need to do some major sharpening, but geez, the thing was still razor sharp! It was still slicing paper like a champ and wow, looked like it never was used.

So how can you beat something like this? Is there something much better in the Sypderco lineup? I really doubt it but I'd love to hear other folks opinoins. I'm really impressed with this knife!
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Roverrich wrote:I feel like I've hit the end of the road for the quest of the "best" Spyderco. I'm referring to the Gayle Bradley. I was initially skeptical about what could be so special about the knife, but then I bought one and found out. The knife is beefy and solid, the blade just the right size and shape and the steel. Oh man is that M4 awesome.

This past weekend I took my daughters on an Indian Princess campout. The GB was my carry knife, didn't think I would use it much but actually I did. FIrst had to cut landscape netting, you know the kind that is place on the ground to hold hay and seed down so that bird, wind etc doesn't make it dissappear. While not really strong, it is cumbersome to deal with and required a sharp blade to cut. Check! GB made mince meat of it and out performed another Dad's Gerber.

After that task, had to whittle some firewood for kindle and make "smoors" sticks for the girls. Check! No problem. All the while I was doing these things, I kept thinking, Man this feels really good in my hand.

The knife served dinner duty also, cutting food for the other girls whose dad's didn't bring a knife :rolleyes: and cutting up greek chicken, gyros, spanikopita etc. Hey we like to eat well and one dad wanted greek food. Check, check! No problem despite the AM duties.

All said and told, when I got home I thought I would need to do some major sharpening, but geez, the thing was still razor sharp! It was still slicing paper like a champ and wow, looked like it never was used.

So how can you beat something like this? Is there something much better in the Sypderco lineup? I really doubt it but I'd love to hear other folks opinoins. I'm really impressed with this knife!
I do agree with you. The GB is a truly great knife, and yes, probably Spyderco's best.
On the hunt for...
Shakyamuni

Post by Shakyamuni »

The occluded liner lock gave my thumb a lot of problems, otherwise it's a nice knife.
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

I find that the liner's positioning and "disposition" make it better suited to closing with the base of your first knuckle on your thumb rather than the tip of your thumb. Notice how far back it is on the knife. If you wanted to flip the knife over and use your thumb tip you'd have to re-grip the knife. If you just use the base of your thumb just below the pad its in just the right spot and does it no problem. :) Just a suggestion, YMMV.
rg02

Post by rg02 »

the GB IMO is the best spyderco out there as far as best bang for your buck! It may not be as fun to flick open and closed while watching TV like a PM2 or Manix 2 is, but it is one awesome knife! M4, CF, and the best fit and finish i have seen on a spydie......
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
Papa_K

Post by Papa_K »

I've been reluctant to get one, because of the weight and the non-stainless blade. If it performs that well, maybe that outweighs any negatives.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If it was the same knife with a compression lock, i'd agree. That shrouded liner lock does nothing but frustrate me. I love the blade though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Evil D wrote:If it was the same knife with a compression lock, i'd agree. That shrouded liner lock does nothing but frustrate me. I love the blade though.
I know folks have issues but neither the lock nor the liners are any issue with me. This knife is perfect in every way. One of the very few I have 2 of, you know, just in case....

Ken
玉鋼
mil

Post by mil »

The lack of a choil or anything at all to keep your finger from contacting the blade keeps me from getting one.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Papa_K wrote:I've been reluctant to get one, because of the weight and the non-stainless blade. If it performs that well, maybe that outweighs any negatives.
I had been aware of the GB for a long time, kind of wanted one but it never even made it to a real wish list. Then I got an unexpected trade offer for a Manix2. I had it and another Manix2 (M4 :D ) so I decided to trade. The guy loved the knife but just didn't use it and wanted a Manix2 so we both ended up happy. It was a great trade for us both. When I got the GB I fell in love immediately. The Sage1 has been my absolute favorite since I got it but recently the GB has equalled it and I think is a ahead by a nose. :) I wouldn't change anything about the knife. They could change the lock and it wouldn't matter to me. I don't really care that much about which lock is on a Spyderco knife. They all are great. I like some more than others but the lock is probably the last thing I'm concerned with when buying a Spyderco. I hope they use M4 on more knives. The Chaparral is supposed to change blade steel and handle material with each model. I hope they come out with one with an M4 blade. The lock will be the same so I may be able to put the Chaparral M4 blade on my Chaparral with CF scales that I have now. WHAT A SMALL KNIFE! :D :D Same steel and scales as the GB. Nice pair of EDC knives.

There is one thing about the GB that is unarguable if you get one. If you don't like it that much you could easily resell it. You may not get "new" price dollars for it but you'd get most of the money back or you could trade it. Get a Gayle Bradley when you can or want to. I don't think you will give selling or trading it a single thought. Sell something else to provide the cash if you have something you can live without. Wife, first born male child, something you can live without. :D I'm joking of course.

Jack
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I love my GB. I did add some relief to the liner and scale on mine. Makes opening and closing a joy. Access to the Spydie hole and liner lock is much improved. This was my smoothest out-of-the-box Spyderco until the Sage 3 came along. I was getting ready to order a second one at Poorfish, because they were only $116 and I had a coupon code that would have made it cheaper. I woke up the next morning and they had gone up to $151 ????? HUH :eek: . I noticed they have gone back down some since. Second one is now on hold because of pre-orders. Great knives :)
Roverrich

Post by Roverrich »

Tdog wrote:I love my GB. I did add some relief to the liner and scale on mine. Makes opening and closing a joy. Access to the Spydie hole and liner lock is much improved. This was my smoothest out-of-the-box Spyderco until the Sage 3 came along. I was getting ready to order a second one at Poorfish, because they were only $116 and I had a coupon code that would have made it cheaper. I woke up the next morning and they had gone up to $151 ????? HUH :eek: . I noticed they have gone back down some since. Second one is now on hold because of pre-orders. Great knives :)

Sounds like a cool mod, got a picture?
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

It's a great feeling isnt it? I haven't used my Bradley much but I feel the same way about my s90. Para2. I cut mOre cardboard boxes than I can count and it still has a decent working edge.
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
jossta

Post by jossta »

kbuzbee wrote:I know folks have issues but neither the lock nor the liners are any issue with me. This knife is perfect in every way. One of the very few I have 2 of, you know, just in case....

Ken
Same here, except for having too. Mine was apart forever and I finally put it pack together last week. Holy crap I remembered quickly why I carried it everyday for so long. To me the Para 2 is the ultimate Spyderco, but the Gayle Bradley is an amazing accomplishment in the world of production knives.
Sht

Post by Sht »

Can it get any better? Yes it can

Give me one with a 4" blade
Gayle Bradley
Bob lum tanto sprint
Milie camo
Para2 camo
Manix2 moonglow
Tasman salt
Tenacious (the whole lineup)
Kiwi SS

Knives at all times
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

Mine is on the way :D hahah
There is much to be learned from one who never speaks
bartvdb

Post by bartvdb »

yes ;2 gb's
Papa_K

Post by Papa_K »

OK guys... so it ends up you're going to MAKE ME buy one of these. The arm-twisting is incredible. I don't have doubts... just less $$$.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

By all accounts, the Bradley is an excellent knife and M4 is a great steel. As for "better", it depends on what you value in a knife. Personally, I'd prefer the FRN ZDP-189 Stretch because it's 60 grams lighter, a bit more compact, fully ambidextrous, more rust resistant, full flat ground, and about $50 cheaper from my preferred dealer. It also has what, at least for my hands, is the most comfortable and ergonomic handle of any Spyderco I've ever held. OTOH, the Bradley is both classier looking and would almost certainly survive more abuse.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bh49

Great knife, but not for everyone.

Post by bh49 »

Roverrich wrote:I feel like I've hit the end of the road for the quest of the "best" Spyderco. I'm referring to the Gayle Bradley. Is there something much better in the Sypderco lineup?e!
First of all congrats to you that you found your ideal knife. Without doubts it is a great knife. But like any knife it is not the best for everybody.
Within a month when they came out my friend and I bought them. I played with mine for a few minutes, realized that this knife is not for me for several reasons and in few days traded. My friend was carried for a while and was very impressed with performance. But after a month rust spots started to show-up on the blade, so it was replaced with military.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian