salt models...CQI clip observation

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
suedeface

salt models...CQI clip observation

Post by suedeface »

I got a salt 1 in the mail a few days ago (my favorite spyderco aside from the delica) and noticed that the innovators at Spyderco up-graded the pocket clip to the more rounded new-style clips, and adapted it to the salt's handle beautifully. What a bunch of sneaky guys! I know this probably isn't a big deal to most, but I'm sure it is a big deal to a few. Just thought I would mention it. This is another reason why I'm such a fan of Spyderco products, They seem to have many quality improvements and up-grades that, unless you are a spyderco nerd (like me), you most likely wouldn't notice them.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Do you have pictures of this clip?

Thanks.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I might be one of the only people here who misses the single barrel screw clips from the old days. 4 way clips are great and all but i liked the simplicity of those old clips.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
PARATOM

Post by PARATOM »

Donut wrote:Do you have pictures of this clip?

Thanks.
+1 for pics
[LEFT]Para 2 digi cam/DLC | Tenacious PE | Sage 1 | Delica 4 FFG | Manix 2 | Dragonfly 2 H1 | Yojimbo 2 | SmallFly digi cam R | Citadel DLC R[/LEFT]
There are two kinds of people in this world, you're either somebody or nobody...
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Does this mean that the single barrel clip is gone from the Salts? I'm with you, Evil. I like these clips...

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

+1, love the D3 and E3 designs for the barrel bolt clips.
Come Join Us Click Here
ICSK

Post by ICSK »

If it's the standard Spyderco clip that is used on the current gen Enduras, Delicas, Para Military 2s than I'll be very happy with Spyderco. I wasn't fond of the barrel bolt clips. The FRN would easily deform if the clip ever caught on something. I also thought that the clip didn't retain as tightly when compared to the new generation of clips - based on my experience of handling ~3 or so Spydercos with the barrel bolt clip.

At the same time I'll be very angry with them. Why is it that the end users only find out about Spyderco's CQI at the very last stage - when they've purchased their knife and are now holding it in their hands? Why are these subtle (or not so subtle in this case) changes not posted on Spyderco's site? Information like this could help users make a decision regarding the knife. In my case I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on a Pacific Salt SE now that I know it's not using that barrel bolt clip (assuming this information is true. POST PICTURES haha).

Something along the lines of this would be perfect:
http://www.zebralight.com/SC600-Cree-XM ... _p_55.html
PARATOM

Post by PARATOM »

ICSK wrote:If it's the standard Spyderco clip that is used on the current gen Enduras, Delicas, Para Military 2s than I'll be very happy with Spyderco. I wasn't fond of the barrel bolt clips. The FRN would easily deform if the clip ever caught on something. I also thought that the clip didn't retain as tightly when compared to the new generation of clips - based on my experience of handling ~3 or so Spydercos with the barrel bolt clip.

At the same time I'll be very angry with them. Why is it that the end users only find out about Spyderco's CQI at the very last stage - when they've purchased their knife and are now holding it in their hands? Why are these subtle (or not so subtle in this case) changes not posted on Spyderco's site? Information like this could help users make a decision regarding the knife. In my case I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on a Pacific Salt SE now that I know it's not using that barrel bolt clip (assuming this information is true. POST PICTURES haha).

Something along the lines of this would be perfect:
http://www.zebralight.com/SC600-Cree-XM ... _p_55.html
i agree, and not in a way to bad mouth Spyderco's CQI, but i 100% agree to making those CQI changes public as much as possible. Even making a forum post and something on their website.

The changing of the clip is a pretty big change. This is the main reason i have not bough a salt is because of the clip, i hated the look alone. (no offense to any of the barrel bolt clip fans)
[LEFT]Para 2 digi cam/DLC | Tenacious PE | Sage 1 | Delica 4 FFG | Manix 2 | Dragonfly 2 H1 | Yojimbo 2 | SmallFly digi cam R | Citadel DLC R[/LEFT]
There are two kinds of people in this world, you're either somebody or nobody...
Knifestyle

Post by Knifestyle »

I heard they did change the SHAPE of the clip themselves to resemble the hourglass clips, but were still using the barrel bolt design. If they did switch to the screwed-on design of the D4 and E4, that would mean the design is now capable of being tip-down if they tapped the other end for the screws. That would be awesome as I only carry tip-down and wouldn't mind a rust-proof Delica that can be carried in the same manner. But realistically, I imagine the OP has just found the shape of the clip has changed and not the manner it is attached.
Shakyamuni

Post by Shakyamuni »

I think we are missing the OP's original point:
suedeface wrote:the innovators at Spyderco up-graded the pocket clip to the more rounded new-style clips, and adapted it to the salt's handle beautifully.
The barrel bolt is still there, just the edges of the clip are hourglass shaped now. This was discussed in another thread here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... lip-design
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

AAHH... I like the old ones. I need a picture. You're freaking me out. The Salts are my favorites.

- best wishes, Jazz.
rycen

Post by rycen »

The barrel bolt clip is still in use just the part after the bolt has been shaped like the clip on the endura 4.
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

What?! :eek: And no pictures? I'm starting to hyperventilate. And my head hurts now.

S.O.S. = Save Our Salts! :)

Michael
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Shakyamuni

Post by Shakyamuni »

Pics are in the thread that I referenced: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... lip-design
PARATOM

Post by PARATOM »

Shakyamuni wrote:Pics are in the thread that I referenced: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... lip-design
i really like the new look. This just put the Salt on my radar...

That may seem dumb, but i really like the new look of the clip that much
Sht

Post by Sht »

I must say I dont like the hourglass clips as much as the older square style ones. I find it much easier to get them clipped on & do t have issues with getting them caught on everything
Gayle Bradley
Bob lum tanto sprint
Milie camo
Para2 camo
Manix2 moonglow
Tasman salt
Tenacious (the whole lineup)
Kiwi SS

Knives at all times
suedeface

Post by suedeface »

rycen wrote:The barrel bolt clip is still in use just the part after the bolt has been shaped like the clip on the endura 4.
This is what I meant. I should have just said this in the first place. :D Overall, I think this another great improvement to the salt line.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Here's a link to a thread on Bladeforums that shows what the new clips look like.
araneae

Post by araneae »

That's awesome news. I have been wishing they would do that for years.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

oooh, taht new clip is sleek